Knee Reflex / Anxiety is Awful

Information about how to manage or reduce the severity of BFS symptoms

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

Knee Reflex / Anxiety is Awful

Postby Nytviolet on August 20th, 2014, 10:16 am

I had posted a previous question about diminished knee reflex. I am very concerned because I continue to feel weakness and pain in my left arm and leg, widespread fascics, fatigue and arm exhaustion when using computer or working with my hands over my head. I have some degenerative change in c-spine, but nothing so remarkable as to explain all symptoms. My toes do not move at all during babinski, and my legs (both) barely moved when knee was checked. I am having much anxiety over this, and I measured and my right calf is a full inch larger than the left -- I'm 49 and know my body. The only thing keeping me sane is knowing that *** does not usually present in multiple limbs. Although I've had fascics and Fibro for 17 yrs, they became much more pronounced (accompanied by other symptoms) in early May. I'm hoping someone can shed some light.
2 Timothy 1:7 For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind.
Nytviolet
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Re: Knee Reflex / Anxiety is Awful

Postby Steph on August 20th, 2014, 11:24 am

Hi Violet,

I don't know a lot about the causes of diminished reflexes, but I know diminished reflexes actually point AWAY from ALS. The upper motor neuron deficits present in ALS cause hyper-reflexia (along with spasticity).

P.S.- Before I scare any other newbies reading this post, brisk reflexes are also present with anxiety and BFS. Many of us on this forum present with brisk reflexes.
Steph

Postby Nytviolet on August 20th, 2014, 3:38 pm

Thanks for your thoughtful reply; I wish they'd figure out what's going on...but I am glad that it's not indicative of ***. I have more questions than answers at this point.
2 Timothy 1:7 For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind.
Nytviolet
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby Yuliasir on August 20th, 2014, 10:44 pm

Hi
Actually our fellow Raindog who has PNH, had lost his deep tendon reflexes (I think patellar) but still has no ALS.

Was your doctor concerned? did he or she noted that yoy do not have patellar reflex in your med records? It might be that you had brisk refelx for all your life and now just got back to more or less normal? Usually leg may not bounce abut only slightly move, it is also possible/
Yuliasir
Saint
Saint

Postby Nytviolet on August 20th, 2014, 11:12 pm

Is PNH paroxysmal nocturnal hyperemia (sorry for spelling). In the past I've been told I was mildly anemic, but recent bloodwork was normal. When my Fibro began in 1996, I was also told I has brisk reflexes. I'm now much older (and unfortunately heavier). I had my sister check my patellar reflex and she was able to elicit what seemed normal (she's a retired nurse). There is still the nerve impingement in my cervical spine which could be causing some issues (no MRI of lumbar yet). But at nearly 50 years of age, I can definitely see that my left calf and left arm are a bit thinner and FEEL weaker. Some days I just grow weary of wondering what's going on...there's been very little change in over 4 months, but other days I find myself anxious and depressed. My appt for epidural injection is not until 9/17, so I guess I'll just try to live life and take it one day at a time. Thank you both for your kind replies. BTW: the doctor scheduled a flow up in six months, so she's obviously not very concerned. I see my ortho Thursday and will see what he says.
Nytviolet
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby Yuliasir on August 21st, 2014, 8:26 am

nope PNH is for periphernal nerve hyperecitability.

I had today several US scans as a part of health check and I had noted that my hands are so skinny...
but under actual conditions I have no soul really to fear or even to think about this. Nope. More things to fear about (like my parenst captured in the middle of war).
Yuliasir
Saint
Saint

Postby Nytviolet on August 21st, 2014, 11:21 am

I will keep your parents in my prayers and thoughts... the political climate is scary. May they be safe.
Nytviolet
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to Symptom Management