Article on Psychosomatic Illness and my thoughts

This forum is for posting your personal experiences with BFS: symptoms, doctor visits, fears, etc.

Please use this forum to post give and recieve encoragement and reassurance from sharing the trials and triumphs you have faced.

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

Article on Psychosomatic Illness and my thoughts

Postby Xina535 on August 14th, 2014, 10:31 am

Since I've been diagnosed with this and I know others on here have been as well, I found this article interesting and wanted to share.

http://neurology.about.com/od/Neurology ... llness.htm

This stood out to me, and made me feel a bit comforted:

While it may not feel like it at the time, in many ways, being diagnosed with a psychosomatic disorder is great news. Doctors who provide this diagnosis should have ruled out more serious, life-threatening diseases that could cause your symptoms. A diagnosis of a psychosomatic illness can also prevent you from being prescribed numerous medications in a fruitless effort to treat your illness, thereby saving you from various side effects. Furthermore, many patients with psychosomatic disease find their symptoms improve when the underlying problem is recognized.

But then in the next paragraph, I read.

It is important that doctors remain open-minded about patients with a diagnosis of a psychosomatic disorder so that they do not overlook a serious illness. It is equally important that patients remain open-minded about the diagnosis of a psychosomatic illness, so that they can obtain the help they need if this diagnosis is correct.

And therein lies the crisis circle, at least with me. I have a hard time accepting the psychosomatic diagnosis because I do not trust or believe that my doctors did what they could to diagnose me, or rule out other issues. Maybe they "technically" performed the minumum, but I am used to more immediate evaluations and having a concrete diagnosis. Maybe I am used to more because that is how it used to be, at least in the US, and I am not used to the different standard of care in Germany. But also maybe because standard of care is not like what it used to be, everywhere. My husband said, "Back in the day, I went in to a doctor and they did a test and they could tell me what was wrong with me, give me medicine, and I was better. Now, I have to go to xyz doctors and receive a misdiagnosis and then a new diagnosis with different pills to take, all because none of the doctors wanted to give me a specific exam which would have come out of their budget. It takes months before someone can even get a doctor to accept to perform a simple x-ray and by that time the problem has changed/gone away/spread/etc."

He's right in many ways. He's lucky though that he doesn't worry or has anxiety, otherwise I think he'd be a member on this board. He's the kind that can just go with the flow, and go to all of these doctors, wihtout anxiety, but instead, he gets angry.

With me, being sent to so many doctors, that is what causes more anxiety! Example with my hand. I asked my GP, she told me to ask my ortho, he just looked at it and told me to do exercises, still hurt and got worse, went back to GP, who said to go to neuro. Finally got a nerve test (because I paid for it myself), nothing there. GP said to go back to ortho. He finally did an xray on Tuesday, which shows nothing. This all took 4 months. Maybe when it first started bothering me, maybe I should have had the xray or whatever test and it could have showed something? All this running around just maxed out my anxiety and contributed to my existing mental instability.

Anyway, my thoughts, just rambling on. Maybe some of you agree or have other perspectives, or can at least relate. :?:
Xina535
Saint
Saint

Re: Article on Psychosomatic Illness and my thoughts

Postby Xina535 on August 14th, 2014, 10:47 am

but another thought I have is that I do believe at least some of my symptoms are psychosomatic. I notice when I get very high anxiety or panic attacks, my twitching is through the roof. Just LAST NIGHT, as I was going through all sorts of things that I have to do before flying on Saturday, thinking of the freight I will experience on the flight, if the flight will make it (I have a huge fear of flying), all the things I need to get done at work, etc....my left leg felt WEIRD and like I couldn't walk right. It felt shaky, jelly-like, pulsating, moving around, restless, bubbling, etc....lots of sensations and it was hard to walk normal. It freaked me out even more and I had a small panic attack. I took medicine to go to sleep and in the morning ,I woke up afraid to get out of bed, afraid to feel if my leg is still like it was the night before. It wasn't. It is still buzzing and pulsating around, but the feeling of walking weird was gone. So I do believe in psychosomatic, but I also believe that not EVERYTHING I have should be considered psychosomatic just because it's in my medical history paperwork, and that is what is happening. "Oh, anxiety disorder huh, well we don't need to do this test on your new symptom, it's in your head."
Xina535
Saint
Saint

Postby Bibi on August 14th, 2014, 2:18 pm

Hi Xina

I Can SO relate to what you write about The Health system , even if You have A " family doctor" ( here in Denmrk) You are totalt on your Own Beeing send around in The system . I saw A neuro 14 days into The twitching , he made A clinical witch was fine ,,I Said i was afraid of A.. , he only Said there was no sign of it , thats All , i didnt know anything about what it could be then , but i Got cramps in The Night and went to my GP , she Read what The neuro had written , And Said it was All from anxiety and gave me MIRTAZAPIN for better sleeping and would send me to a psyciatrist.Off course i has anxiety now , but i am not a GAD person . Now i am 3 1/2 months in , have twitches all over but mostly in my left side , specially my left foot , and my right leg feels stiff when i start to walk. I wait to see A neuro at A Big hospital , i Called Them myselves. And i Found this site and just hope that is bfs ....
Bibi
Bibi
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby leaflea on August 14th, 2014, 11:30 pm

just wrote a novel from my phone and it didn't post :-(
Last edited by leaflea on August 16th, 2014, 8:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Matthew 6:27 Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to his life?
leaflea
Saint
Saint

Postby Xina535 on August 15th, 2014, 3:56 am

Bibi good luck at the appt!! Let us know how it goes!

Leaflea, that's happened to me before. Very frustrating!
Xina535
Saint
Saint

Postby readytocheckout on August 15th, 2014, 4:39 am

Yeah I also resent being labelled. During a gp visit I looked over my gp's shoulder at their pc screen and saw in my file the words in capital letters "anxiety disorder", all letters were also in bold. Gee thanks doc. I can't help the way I am, I do try very hard, but hey!
readytocheckout

Postby Yuliasir on August 15th, 2014, 6:09 am

I do not think anxiety disorder is a label.
it is a diagnosis, and it is up to us either accept it or deny. it seldom kills, unlike other diseases.
therer is also a tratment. Not very efficient, long term but still exists.
Yuliasir
Saint
Saint

Postby German2 on August 19th, 2014, 4:03 am

Dear Xina,

I totally agree with you. I am in the same vicious circle. I am again diagnosed with "somatic disorder" though there are meanwhile some "hard facts". I don't want to stretch my case again.
It can be true that a somatic disorder diagnosis helps to prevent from useless medication. But on the other hand - and that happened in my case - I was given lots of psycho drugs with harmful side effects due to my "somatic disorder". That is the dangour of "the other side".
I think self healing power is the best in that case....But for that you have to be mental healthy and without anxiety...that is also a circle...
Actually I am looking for a way out of it...

German2
German2
Saint
Saint

Postby Xina535 on September 17th, 2014, 3:24 pm

German2 wrote:Dear Xina,

I totally agree with you. I am in the same vicious circle. I am again diagnosed with "somatic disorder" though there are meanwhile some "hard facts". I don't want to stretch my case again.
It can be true that a somatic disorder diagnosis helps to prevent from useless medication. But on the other hand - and that happened in my case - I was given lots of psycho drugs with harmful side effects due to my "somatic disorder". That is the dangour of "the other side".
I think self healing power is the best in that case....But for that you have to be mental healthy and without anxiety...that is also a circle...
Actually I am looking for a way out of it...

German2

I just wanted to come back to this. Because you German2 are definitely going through some intense testing and they are truly finding what may be wrong, little by little. But up until recently, you were given "somatic disorder". It took YOU taking things into YOUR hands by going to the clinics YOURSELF for them to really start to realize there are issues other than "somatic". This whole time, you may not have needed these psycho drugs, and who knows if they may have made your issue worse? This is a perfect example of why it is hard for me to accept this diagnosis. I agree that some of my twitching was due to anxiety, but I do not agree that is the end of the story. I truly hope you are well and are being strong through all of this.
Xina535
Saint
Saint

Postby German2 on September 19th, 2014, 1:30 am

Xina, what I think is, that a lot of people here on this board has "just" bfs. And further research would just cause more anxietey. I know by myself, that a a docto's visit always leaves you with a lot of questions, whether he has checked all necessary, whether there was s.th overseen and so on...But I am also sure, that there are a few cases, like mine, that there is s.th going on, which is not mnd but which is also not from psyche, like in my case..Yes, the psycho drugs did harm me. That is what my neuro told me yesterday. And now, nobody knows what is due to my desease and what is due to medicine. I am running around since 2 years with symptoms. At first they suspected me to have something serious. Then, they did not found anything and it would be all in my head. The vicious circle has begun with a ortho doc suspected me to have MND in early stage..I broke down. After one and a half year they found hashimoto. Then they told me...Hashimoto and somatic disorder. Then they found the ulnar nerve syndrom. Now it is hashi plus double sided ulnar nerve syndrom plus somatic disourder (for they could not explain all of my sypmptoms with those two deseases). My local neuro who I appreciate very much told me..it's a puzzle and now we have two more peaces. He is the only one not believing the somatic disorder.

But anyway. If one has the impression, it is not anxiety ridden, what's going on, and if there are really some aspects not fitting to bfs (like in my - and maybe your case) you should never give up to find the solution...
German2
Saint
Saint

Postby Xina535 on September 19th, 2014, 2:55 am

Yes German, I know what you mean. Some may be true cases of somatic, but not everyone should take that as a diagnosis, or the only diagnosis.

I feel so bad and mad :x that the drugs given to you for somatic further ailed you (and confirmed this happened!) I can't imagine the level of frustration and many other emotions you must feel from that.
Xina535
Saint
Saint

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to Experiences with BFS