Alternate medications

Information about how to manage or reduce the severity of BFS symptoms

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

Alternate medications

Postby aseelan on August 8th, 2014, 11:12 am

Hi All,
Its been a awhile since ive been here in this site, Over the past year i had tried different medications give by my nueros/GP and physical therapist but all seem to make my life more miserable to enjoy (ie.., sleepy at work , drowsiness etc..) . I have changed my mind to try some alternate methods to overcome my issues and i am pretty sure my friends here can help me with this.

Problems that i have
1) Stiffness all over my body especially my neck and shoulder are (i have stiffness in my leg , trunk and back) Standing makes its worse
2) Muscle pain
3) Numbness if i sit or stand or lie down for a while (Numbness depends on which part of the muscle is being used to support)

Any alternate medications that i can try that might have worked, not necessarily to say it would work for me but definitely a try wouldnt hurt.

Thanks
aseelan
Interested
Interested

Re: Alternate medications

Postby muppetdog on August 8th, 2014, 2:31 pm

What was it your were diagnosed with? Was it Stiff Person Syndrome?

Have you tried a stretching program. I have obtained a lot of relief from certain aches and pains that go along with my symptoms with stretching. It takes a while to show results but I think it works. Also, do you do any type of light exercise?

What is your sleep and diet like?
muppetdog
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby aseelan on August 9th, 2014, 12:39 am

Hi muppetdog,
I have not been diagnosed with anything yet, even bfs most of the nueros I ask say it's either cervicalgia as far as my neck goes and si joint syndrome for my lower part . I have my birth which I over the last I realized is that my left leg is shorter than my right I have been walking a lik wierd from when I've known but I thought that was just the way I walk .

Do you think my symptoms present stiff person syndrome ? Mild stretching does relive a ill bit
aseelan
Interested
Interested

Postby muppetdog on August 9th, 2014, 10:22 am

Do you think my symptoms present stiff person syndrome ?

Ah... No. I was partially kidding because you said you experienced stiffness. I have no idea about Stiff Person Syndrome. From what I have read it sounds pretty rare and does not sound like the same thing as just having some stiffness. Don't put too much thought into it. Sorry I brought it up :)

Anyway, you only listed 3 things that bother you and you never said what drugs you have tried.

I also get more numbness when I lay down or sit in one position too long. I kind of remember having this off and on, but It has gotten much worse with the onset of my symptoms. I think it is pretty normal for humans just to get numb in places from holding certain positions to long. That being said, it seems like there are a lot of people who have that symptom on this board. For me, my arms go numb a lot when I sleep. I also notice that my legs go numb pretty easy when I sit too long or cross them. I have found it's a pretty easy fix though. I just get up and let the blood return and go about my day. Just do a quick search on the board for "numbness." It will come up pretty often. You can always make a note of it and ask your doctor what he/she thinks causes it. In my experience, it just seems to be an annoyance and part of the overall annoying picture for me.

As for the muscle pain and stiffness, didn't you say in some of your other posts that you work out a lot? I don't know how old you are, but if it were me I would wonder if too much activity, or the wrong type of activity could be the cause. The reason I brought up stretching is because I have seen it work for me, my Mom (who does not have what I have), and others. It's not like a "Oh, I tried stretching for a day or two thing" either. You have to give it a good month. I even took private yoga lessons and just told her what was bothering me and if she could come up with and easy plan I could do a couple times a week. After a while, I found the poses and stretches that alleviate my certain tight areas or soreness; my upper back is bad for me at times.

Also, do you drink enough water? Do you eat a crappy diet? Do you sit around at your job a lot? I would think this all could cause major stiffness. It would for me.

So, just out of curiosity, and to maybe help with people giving you advice. How did this all come about for you? Was it brought on by illness, stress, back problems, alien abduction? And, what is the total picture for your symptoms right now? just remember I am not a doctor and am only stating what I have found works for me. I probably have a very different symptom and lifestyle picture than you have, so take that into consideration. In fact, you should take that into consideration whenever someone on these boards give you advise.

MD
muppetdog
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to Symptom Management