Tongue twitches - can be felt

General Topics

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

Re: Tongue twitches - can be felt

Postby joycecaroll on July 5th, 2014, 3:09 pm

Are we alking abou twitches when the tongue is resting in the mouth?
joycecaroll
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby TwitchyDoc on July 6th, 2014, 2:14 am

For the millionth time, fasciculations are not and cannot be assessed when the tongue is stuck out (only in very advanced MND you can see it twitching even in this case). But dont try to check your tongue on your own, it can be tricky to tell the fasciculations from normal fasciculatory movement. If you do not feel any twitching in your tongue, why would you check it?
TwitchyDoc
Saint
Saint

Postby joycecaroll on July 6th, 2014, 8:19 am

I'm worried since I feel hem a rest.
joycecaroll
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby joycecaroll on August 2nd, 2014, 7:31 am

Ok sorry for posting again but I really need some help with this.

I'm doing an EMG on my tongue monday due to the twitches I've been having in my tongue. I've really been looking forward to this since an EMG in my mind has been the top "if it's clean you can relax"-exam.

However I stumbled up on this paper called "Mimics and chameleons in motor neurone disease". It states that Bulbar-onset MND is not uniformly associated with a rapid progression, and symptoms may remain isolated to this territory with apparently normal EMG studies.

Also: EMG is only 60% sensitive for MND, however, and should not be treated as a diagnostic test, but carefully weighed up in the context of the clinical features.

So, what does this mean?
joycecaroll
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby joycecaroll on August 3rd, 2014, 10:47 am

Anyone?
joycecaroll
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby joycecaroll on August 7th, 2014, 12:22 pm

No one? Please, I'm freaking out.
joycecaroll
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby bobajojo on August 7th, 2014, 12:27 pm

Joyce, if your tongue twitches were something to worry about then what does that say about the others on this board who also have them?

You said you "stumbled" across that paper. Stop googling. You are not a doctor and these papers can be easily misinterpreted to the average Joe who is in a state of panic. It basically means that without clinical issues like not being able to speak or swallow, the fasciculations on the tongue are meaningless.

-Matt
Over 10 billion twitches since May 2011.
bobajojo
Saint
Saint

Postby elliottok on August 11th, 2014, 4:29 pm

Joyce,

I'm assuming you had your tongue EMG? I'm also assuming it was clean since you posted nothing negative about it? If so, please stop worrying. Many of us on here, including myself, have tongue fasiculations. It's no big deal.
elliottok

Postby Sadface on August 12th, 2014, 9:17 am

How did you get on Joyce??

I have tongue issues and flapping myself, so I understand your worry. I have them at rest. I see them and don't always feel them.
I then worry because sometimes I feel my voice goes croaky.
I also have a clear dent side of tongue. May have always been there but who knows!
I twitch everywhere every day
Sadface
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby Sadface on August 12th, 2014, 9:19 am

Ps I haven't seen neuro yet
My diagnosis is health anxiety
Sadface
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby joycecaroll on August 12th, 2014, 10:47 am

Well Sadface, I did an EMG on the tongue and that was clean. I've also had a clinical on my mouth and face and an MRI on the brain that showed inflammation. No neuro has been able to answer if tongue fasciculations can be benign, but no one thinks ALS is possible.
joycecaroll
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby Sadface on August 12th, 2014, 12:27 pm

Well I have to try to get myself through worrying by thinking they happen and can be nothing!!!

I appear to have them worse as the day goes on: I stare at my tongue with light on it and generally can't keep it still!
It's not like the dancing tongue video, but still little quivers, ripples etc etc

I've read people who do have twitches and had clean emg so surely they mustn't happen still?
Sadface
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby Pascal35 on August 12th, 2014, 2:58 pm

joycecaroll wrote:Well Sadface, I did an EMG on the tongue and that was clean. I've also had a clinical on my mouth and face and an MRI on the brain that showed inflammation. No neuro has been able to answer if tongue fasciculations can be benign, but no one thinks ALS is possible.

What kind of inflammation? Have the doctors said that this could be a possible reason for your tongue twitch?
Pascal35
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby joycecaroll on August 13th, 2014, 1:24 am

Pascal35 wrote:
joycecaroll wrote:Well Sadface, I did an EMG on the tongue and that was clean. I've also had a clinical on my mouth and face and an MRI on the brain that showed inflammation. No neuro has been able to answer if tongue fasciculations can be benign, but no one thinks ALS is possible.

What kind of inflammation? Have the doctors said that this could be a possible reason for your tongue twitch?

They don't know yet.
joycecaroll
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby Sadface on August 13th, 2014, 6:59 am

I had a doctor say they can see my tongue fasiculations but said no referral etc as they didn't feel a concern.
I have a trust issue like any health anxious person.

I don't know difference between a normal movement or one of concern. My tongue quivers when I stick it out but doesn't everyone's?
It moves and dimples when I try rest it, and I stare with a touch. But wouldn't a lot of people have that if they truly looked ?
Who would look at there tongue with a torch normally?? Hardly anyone I guess!

I swing in round abouts with my worrying!
I think the recent self testing as caused a sore throat, aching tongue and jaw ache
Sadface
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Sponsor

Sponsor

PreviousNext

Return to General Topics