Adrenal Fatigue

General Topics

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

Adrenal Fatigue

Postby BFSBurger on August 7th, 2014, 2:06 am

Those of you who know me from the past, know that I spent a lot of time entertaining myriads of possible causes for BFS. It was all a process of examining the merits of known conditions, trying (and failing) to get some matching abnormal bloodwork, trying the various lifestyle adjustments, and then moving on to the next "fad of the week". Many of you reacted with irritation at my periodic shifts in direction, but most of you understood what I was trying to accomplish. I have never claimed to "know" what causes BFS.

Despite the countless tests we've all had that invariably come back "normal" ... there have been two things consistently abnormal about the people on this website:

1) Immense number of endurance atheletes, bodybuilders, fitness enthusiasts, and highly stressed individuals mentally/emotionally.

2) Abnormal hormone / steroid / neurosteroid bloodwork

This cannot be ignored. When doctors say BFS is stress related, they may be absolutely correct. But not in the condescending, dismissive way that they intend it. There is such a thing known as Adrenal Fatigue. While your typical idiot doctor will roll their eyes at the concept, because they can't comprehend any "shades of gray" (you either have addisions, or you have cushings - both extremes of total adrenal disease), every doctor will raise a curious eyebrow if you tell them its HPAxis Dysfunction. You can feel free to google both HPAxis Dysfunction and Adrenal Fatigue to learn about the symptoms, causes, and treatments.

Though I have only managed to nail down a handful of people with our disorder who were able to swing the proper hormone tests in the thick of their worst symptoms, it was the hormone tests that were coming back abnormal for many of us. Even I myself failed to get a proper workup of everything when my symptoms were at their worst. But despite having cleared my own outright symptoms with major lifestyle changes (heavily focused on stress reduction), it has been my hormone numbers that have continued to crash ever so slowly. I began having thinning hair about 9 months ago, and this is when I finally put two and two together.

Clearly, twitching is an end result of many damaging processes going on in our bodies. It's not its own entity, I don't believe, by a long shot. But we all want to know the root cause. Allow me to share what I have found, and I hope some of the more proactive people here will get the necessary bloodwork themselves. This may in fact be exactly what we've all got. Adrenal Dysfunction. My DHEA, Testosterone, DHT, LH, FSH and Estradiol all came back either extremely low, or at the low end of normal. This was a clear sign that something in my hormone system was not working properly. WHen I learned that DHEA was the precursor to all of them, I got a DHEA-S test done. Guess what? Low end of normal. About 130. Normal is about 450 for men.

Typically a doctor would pump you full of testosterone if your T is low. But I try to do things a little more intelligently. I learned that if you correct your DHEA levels, all the others will return to normal as well. As it turns out, there is one precursor to DHEA. Pregnenolone. This too was abnormal in some other BFS'ers test results. Mine came back low normal as well.

I tried supplementing Clomid to stimulate my LH and FSH and thereby increase my Testosterone. Within 24 hours it was as if the darkest cloud on earth lifted from my shoulders. My mood was elevated to levels I hadn't felt since before BFS. I was back to the gym and not tired at all afterwards. Libido returned. Motivation to work returned. I even went shopping for new clothes for the first time in 2 years. You see, despite having no twitching, and freedom from outright BFS symptoms (muscle pains, cramping, etc) ... I still have felt like something wasn't right. My hormone numbers were why.

I retested and my Testosterone was now at 885. Normal for my age (39). And I felt normal again. Further research lead me to drop the Clomid and I have been supplementing with DHEA, and subsequently Pregnenolone for the last 2 weeks. I will retest all my numbers in a month or so to see if all the "downstream" hormones have improved. I definitely continue to feel outstanding.

Please consider getting the following tests run by your doctor. If any of them are low, struggling, or low-normal, you can rest assured you're dealing with Adrenal Fatigue, and it can be easily and quickly corrected. It may not stop your twitching, as I believe this is somehow damage possibly done by whatever process (excess cortisol surges for years?) downstream from the adrenals and hypothalamus. But if you learn how to treat Adrenal Fatigue, you will treat BFS by doing the same exact things.

DHEA
DHEA-S
LH
FSH
Pregnenolone
Progesterone
SHBG
Free Testosterone
Total Testosterone
Estradiol (Sensitive)
Thyroid Functions
Vitamin D

Normalize these numbers if they're not dead center range, and I believe you will feel the benefits immensely.
How I resolved my BFS within 1 year of onset:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=19128
BFSBurger
Saint
Saint

Re: Adrenal Fatigue

Postby fargo on August 9th, 2014, 9:02 am

BFSBurger wrote: There is such a thing known as Adrenal Fatigue.

''There’s no evidence that adrenal fatigue actually exists. The public education arm of the Endocrine Society, representing 14,000 endocrinologists, recently issued the following advisory:

“Adrenal fatigue” is not a real medical condition. There are no scientific facts to support the theory that long-term mental, emotional, or physical stress drains the adrenal glands and causes many common symptoms.''

from: http://www.sciencebasedmedicine.org/fat ... -disease/..
let's keep our feet on the ground :)
fargo

Re: Adrenal Fatigue

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to General Topics