Neuro visit today

This forum is for posting your personal experiences with BFS: symptoms, doctor visits, fears, etc.

Please use this forum to post give and recieve encoragement and reassurance from sharing the trials and triumphs you have faced.

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

Neuro visit today

Postby Nytviolet on August 4th, 2014, 4:46 pm

The neuro I saw reviewed my symptoms and discussed my fears. He seemed very dismissive of them (feeling weak in left arm, left leg feels heavy / weaker). Since I've had BFS 17 years, He refused to do an EMG and said that after > 20 years in practice he knew what to look for. I told him that despite 17 years of BFS, I was terrified of the exacerbated twitching and arm / leg fatigue over last 3-4 months. He seemed totally unconcerned. He did a very fast check of reflexes including elbow, wrist, knees and scraped the soles of my feet for babinski....no abnormal findings (reflexes almost absent) so he refused EMG. He checked my tongue for fascics and wasting and found none. He'll see me in a month to explore peripheral neuropathy or whatever else he's looking for. I had my brother in the room for support, and my brother explained that (although I've had BFS for 17 years), I had noticed something going on more recently and that I was NOT suggesting that they were related. The neuro said he was "absolutely certain it's not MND and was casually dismissive. Total office visit was 20 minutes and he didn't even ask me to walk on my toes. He did, however, closely examine my hands and feet and saw no atrophy. Honestly, I want to put this to bed and move on with my life...can a seasoned neuro really tell that much just from reflex tests and examining appendages? He DOES however suspect some sort of carpal tunnel or PN (which is why I return in Sepember). He was quick, professional and to the point. I'm trying to trust him, but I guess he would have put me through more extensive tests. Any input appreciated. Hugs
2 Timothy 1:7 For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind.
Nytviolet
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Re: Neuro visit today

Postby garym on August 4th, 2014, 6:50 pm

Nytviolet wrote:can a seasoned neuro really tell that much just from reflex tests and examining appendages?

Yes.....now believe him/her and get on with your life.

take care,
gary
garym

Postby Nytviolet on August 4th, 2014, 6:57 pm

Thanks Gary; that is precisely what I needed to hear. All the best.
2 Timothy 1:7 For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind.
Nytviolet
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby Yuliasir on August 4th, 2014, 11:43 pm

Yes really. Just imagine you buy a fruits on the market. Are you able to tell with all your life experience that this is a good one and this will become a total grey goo in a few hours? probably yes - you look for colour, smell, consistency and absence of the mould... so is your neuro. After 20 years he really knows who is in good condition and what are people with the neuro deficite looks like. Even with the early deficite.
Yuliasir
Saint
Saint

Postby Nytviolet on August 5th, 2014, 9:17 am

Thank you Yuliasir...an excellent analogy. Although I still have some pain in my left arm / leg, the fascics are already milder (since stress exacerbates them); they will always be with me, and I'm okay with that :). I value your input -- many thanks! Guess I'm another example of LONG term twitcher that never turned into MND.
Nytviolet
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to Experiences with BFS