Tongue twitches - can be felt

General Topics

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

Re: Tongue twitches - can be felt

Postby joycecaroll on July 2nd, 2014, 8:43 am

As my fasciculations (the ones I feel) are sporadic and only shows up a few times a week I wouldn't be able to show them. Should I try to get remitted to a neurologist?
joycecaroll
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby joycecaroll on July 2nd, 2014, 11:59 am

2 questions:

1. A GP would be able to tell if I had fasciculations or not, right?
2. Are fasciculations in ALS constant?
joycecaroll
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby raindog on July 2nd, 2014, 6:14 pm

joycecaroll wrote:2 questions:

1. A GP would be able to tell if I had fasciculations or not, right?
2. Are fasciculations in ALS constant?

joyce unless your tongue and voice resembles this ...then save your money and move on

http://youtu.be/llv7Dajk2m4

It might shock some people but it will show any tongue twitcher here how far removed a few twitches in your tongue with BFS is from real bulbar MND
raindog
Saint
Saint

Postby joycecaroll on July 3rd, 2014, 2:20 am

Back from the dr. He said the reflexes on my left arm was bad. Don't know if he means depressed or just bad.
Should I worry? Is it a symptom of ALS?
joycecaroll
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby Yuliasir on July 3rd, 2014, 2:26 am

did he referred you to the neuro? any further investigations assigned?

we also do not know if you had low reflexes, brisl reflexes or hyperreflexia. all three cases have dofferent underlying conditions and anyway the doctor should further give you some explanations...
Yuliasir
Saint
Saint

Postby joycecaroll on July 3rd, 2014, 2:28 am

Yuliasir wrote:did he referred you to the neuro? any further investigations assigned?

we also do not know if you had low reflexes, brisl reflexes or hyperreflexia. all three cases have dofferent underlying conditions and anyway the doctor should further give you some explanations...

He said it was weaker on the left arm than on the right arm.

I'm doing an MRI.
joycecaroll
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby TwitchyDoc on July 3rd, 2014, 6:19 am

There are many causes of decreased reflexes and ALS (namely lower motor neuron damage, as upper motor neuron damage causes reflexes to be hyperactive) is just improbable one of them.
As I told you, you must get it checked by a neurologist. Asymmetrical reflexes are not normal - could be an issue with your back, with a peripheral nerve etc etc. Not necessarily serious conditions but something that is worth investigation.
TwitchyDoc
Saint
Saint

Postby mwagner on July 3rd, 2014, 8:57 am

I suggest you do a search on tongue twitches on this forum. You are going to find hundreds of people who have tongue twitches as you do (including myself). Mine are maybe a few times a day for about a second. Then, I can go a long time without having any. They are very common here on this board, which insinuates that they are very common in BFS. I think whatever is in the literature is dated, and as doctors and researchers are learning more about BFS, they will realize that the tongue twitches are included. I'm guessing most of the doctors who wrote the literature had patients who were already experiencing other issues who came in to see them, and tongue twitching was correlated with their other issues. I feel like almost every part of my body has twitched and that includes the tongue. The tongue isn't immune to neural hyper excitability. If my bottom lip twitches, why shouldn't my tongue? Heck the bridge of my nose has twitched!

This forum should be very reassuring that this is very, very common, and you should rest easy.

Your reflex difference could be caused by a million things, including your GP's inability to test your arm reflexes properly.

If you're very worried, go see a neurologist. But, you haven't mentioned weakness, so I truly think you're ok!

Mitra
mwagner
Saint
Saint

Postby joycecaroll on July 4th, 2014, 4:02 am

mwagner wrote:I suggest you do a search on tongue twitches on this forum. You are going to find hundreds of people who have tongue twitches as you do (including myself). Mine are maybe a few times a day for about a second. Then, I can go a long time without having any. They are very common here on this board, which insinuates that they are very common in BFS. I think whatever is in the literature is dated, and as doctors and researchers are learning more about BFS, they will realize that the tongue twitches are included. I'm guessing most of the doctors who wrote the literature had patients who were already experiencing other issues who came in to see them, and tongue twitching was correlated with their other issues. I feel like almost every part of my body has twitched and that includes the tongue. The tongue isn't immune to neural hyper excitability. If my bottom lip twitches, why shouldn't my tongue? Heck the bridge of my nose has twitched!

This forum should be very reassuring that this is very, very common, and you should rest easy.

Your reflex difference could be caused by a million things, including your GP's inability to test your arm reflexes properly.

If you're very worried, go see a neurologist. But, you haven't mentioned weakness, so I truly think you're ok!

Mitra

Thank you so much for your reply.

Well, I still get the occasional twitch or pulsation in my tongue. It really scares me. But my GP hadf a look at the tongue and said he didn't see anything weird. Plus, I'm not slurring or anything. And my dr even said he himself got twitches in the tongue sometimes. Guess I'll just have to wait and see if I start to slurr or not!

But one thing: isn't ALS twitches suppoused to be there always? Isn't it a rule that if the twitches are sporadic it's benign?
joycecaroll
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby TwitchyDoc on July 4th, 2014, 4:14 am

It is not a rule but yes, with anterior horn cells involvement, the fasciculations can vary but would not just go away. But they can get silent for hours (or so fine that it seems silent to the patient). But yea, you would not expect them to disappear for days and then return.
TwitchyDoc
Saint
Saint

Postby joycecaroll on July 4th, 2014, 4:16 am

TwitchyDoc wrote:It is not a rule but yes, with anterior horn cells involvement, the fasciculations can vary but would not just go away. But they can get silent for hours (or so fine that it seems silent to the patient). But yea, you would not expect them to disappear for days and then return.

But if they went silent a doctor might still se them?
joycecaroll
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby TwitchyDoc on July 4th, 2014, 5:40 am

No, a neuologist will not miss them. There are ways to provoke them etc. Do not worry! I bet what you have is tongue tremor..
TwitchyDoc
Saint
Saint

Postby joycecaroll on July 4th, 2014, 7:06 am

TwitchyDoc wrote:No, a neuologist will not miss them. There are ways to provoke them etc. Do not worry! I bet what you have is tongue tremor..

It was a GP who looked at my tongue, but he looked carefully for fasciculations and said he didn't see any. I should be able to trust that, right?
joycecaroll
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby RobJ on July 5th, 2014, 8:51 am

My tongue twitched for years, it was one of the first places that twitched (my back, my hand, thumb, thigh (that *beep* right thigh still twitches))....Been twitching for sometime. It started about 20 years ago, went on for about 2 years, and stopped...hasn't twitched again. No idea why. It used to twitch horribly...hated going to dentist because he would mention it, mark it down in his "book', used to check it all the time.....then it just went away. Maybe someday it will return?
RobJ

Postby joycecaroll on July 5th, 2014, 3:09 pm

Are we alking abou twitches when the tongue is resting in the mouth?
joycecaroll
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Sponsor

Sponsor

PreviousNext

Return to General Topics