Scary facial twitches (brain tumor fears)

This forum is for posting your personal experiences with BFS: symptoms, doctor visits, fears, etc.

Please use this forum to post give and recieve encoragement and reassurance from sharing the trials and triumphs you have faced.

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

Scary facial twitches (brain tumor fears)

Postby lsasvv on June 22nd, 2014, 3:11 pm

Hello! I have had twitches all over my body for 6 months. But facial ones are the ones that freak me out the most.

I have small twitches that feel like normal fasciculations on my face. They scare me because they are pretty much localized. I only have them on the left side of my face near lips. Could it be just a hotspot? I have these maybe once a day so they are not continuous. Anyway i am scared of facial myokymia because it is associated with really nasty things like brain stem tumors... But then twitches would be continuous, right? Does anyone know anything about facial myokymia?? Google does not say much about that.

I also have something in my face that i believe is myoclonic jerks. Sometimes my whole lower lip or part of my cheek twitches a little. I have them most on the right side of face. So that's not the same side where i have the fascis.
I also have something like myoclonic jerks all over my body, mostly ankles and fingers. I have made a post about them before :D anyway, they are very brief and happen at rest e.g sitting on a couch

All these strange twitches make me fear I have a brain tumor... :( can a brain tumor cause fasciculations??!
I would love to get some information about facial twitches, facial myokymia and facial myoclonic jerks please:) sorry about my english. I'm not a native speaker.
lsasvv

Re: Scary facial twitches (brain tumor fears)

Postby johnnythejet on June 22nd, 2014, 7:36 pm

lsasvv wrote:I have had twitches all over my body for 6 months. But facial ones are the ones that freak me out the most.

Twitches are harmless, including the facial ones that freak you out. Your description of symptoms is BFS for sure and something I've dealt with for almost 10 years, as has thousands of others. Every moment you waste thinking about brain tumors, ALS, or any other sinister cause is a complete waste of life. This stuff is annoying, especially the facial symptoms, but the fears you are dealing with are debilitating and unwarranted. Get past the fears and move on.
johnnythejet
Saint
Saint

Postby Yuliasir on June 22nd, 2014, 10:54 pm

brain stem tumours cause much more deterioration than fascial twitches for 6 months.
Yuliasir
Saint
Saint

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to Experiences with BFS