Question between the two??

This forum is for posting your personal experiences with BFS: symptoms, doctor visits, fears, etc.

Please use this forum to post give and recieve encoragement and reassurance from sharing the trials and triumphs you have faced.

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

Question between the two??

Postby NikkiiR06 on June 21st, 2014, 1:29 am

Hello i was just wondering what would be the difference between bfs and ms how are the symtoms different from eachother?
NikkiiR06

Re: Question between the two??

Postby Yuliasir on June 21st, 2014, 2:29 am

Hi Nikki
BFS is mostly an overall hyperexcitability of muscles (possibly local) plus some central braon effects are suspected. anyway the symptomes are: widespread rapid onset of twitches, localised mainly on calves, feet, face and thumb pad. Then usually anxiety joins (regardless to the fact of previous anxiety disorder history, so one can suspect that the central brain is also suffering). Other symptomes may be night numbness in hands, pain and clicking in the joints, unexplained muscular pains, cramps, buzzzing, sensory issues (hot and cold patches, water-like and burning sensations on the skin), stiffness and various autonomous reactions (swelling in the throat, yawning, heart palpitations etc.).
Bloodwork is usually normal (except extremely low vit B12 and D). MRI, EMG usually normal or with minor non-MND attributable changes.

MS is practically manifested as neural inflammation (neuritis), most often optical nerve inflammation. This is painful loss of central or preifreial vision, scotomas (blind spots) in the vision field, loss of ability to see colours, vision distortion. No one could miss that symptom, however sometimes people take migraine auras for that. but migraine lasts for an hour, and neuritis for days and weeks.
Other symptomes include extreme fatigue (sleeping up to 20 hours per day, complete loss of activity), loss of limb activity (paresis or paralysis), loss of voice etc. Those losses ate transient but may have residual effects. MRI shows specific lesions, and if on sequential MRI there are signs of spreading in space and size, then it is MS.

MS is treatable in over of 80 % cases and life cours might be almost unaffected.
Yuliasir
Saint
Saint

Postby German2 on June 21st, 2014, 2:41 am

Thank you Yuliasir also from my side for that great summary! That leads me to a more precise story of my symptoms to my neuro..
German2
Saint
Saint

Postby NikkiiR06 on June 21st, 2014, 1:23 pm

Do u think alot of ms patients have body wide twitching as we do??
NikkiiR06

Postby Yuliasir on June 21st, 2014, 11:53 pm

never heard about widespread twitches as something significant for MS. I follow or had followed several blogs of MS people, and they had reported sudden loss of normal vision, sudden loss of vocalization, sudden loss of mobility (legs just switched off) but never nothing about twitches. One guy reported extreme fatigue (sleeping over 20 hours per day) and severe optical neuritis. Also nothing about twitches.
Yuliasir
Saint
Saint

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to Experiences with BFS