worsening/new symptoms...

General Topics

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

worsening/new symptoms...

Postby One--Five on June 19th, 2014, 7:25 pm

Let me cut to the chase...

Been twitching since March '13...started primarily in calves and then, over time, it spread to (almost) everywhere...I twitch many-many times a day in lots of different muscles...

Jan '14 went to see neuro who did EMG/NCV - he said all was normal, but only stuck me 6-8 times (and only in the muscles I told him "twitched the most")...I also asked him about left leg atrophy - he measured and conceded that the left leg is thinner, but said he thought the amount of difference was "negligible" (1.5cm difference at base of quad just above knee)

Feb-May '14...twitches stop, and for the first time in almost a year, I feel good and almost forget all about my issues...and then...

June '14 - BAM! everyhting comes back like a thunderbolt and WAY worse...now I twitch everywhere, and I have hand, thumb, and tongue twitching (three areas where I didnt have it before), and I have terrible muscle pain all down the left side of my upper body...my left trap feels like someone is squeezing it and won't let go...if i flex my pec muscle I can't hold it for more than 4-5 seconds because the pain is too great...my left hand hurts all the time...plus it feels like all of muscles in my upper body are constantly vibrating...I have constant tremors and my hand sometimes locks-up (for lack of a better expression)

I feel way worse than I ever did before...

How could I start to feel so good for three months and then get so much worse...

I have a follow-up neuro in four weeks...fingers crossed...
One--Five

Re: worsening/new symptoms...

Postby Yuliasir on June 19th, 2014, 11:42 pm

1.5 cm is REALLY negligible believe me.

I read recently a book called A leg to stand by dr. Oliver Saks, neurologist, in which he reported that when he had his quad torn in an accident and his nerves were damaged, in few days his quad was 6 inch less in circumpherence due to complete denervation and atrophy. SIX INCHES in few days.

as far as I remember, physiological difference might be as big as up to 2 inches.

as for the pains - we sometimes experience unexplainable pains in the muscle, it is part of the syndrome. If you can still flex your muscles and strain them, if your hands, fingers, legs or body are not distorted or do not take unusual position you can not change due to muscle rigidity and severe pain - then you have most probably a myositis (muscle inflammation) or fybromyalgia attack.

hope your follow up visit would bring you some relief.
Yuliasir
Saint
Saint

Postby Nytviolet on July 3rd, 2014, 7:03 pm

I agree completely; I was finally diagnosed with fibromyalgia about 10 years ago, and (when you are new to it), the pains will keep you guessing. I had stated in a previous posts that fibromyalgia will turn just about anyone into a hypochondriac, because there are so many diffuse pains, twitches, spasms, fatigue, sweats, etc. It's usually dx'd by a rheumatologist, and is a dx of exclusion (often confused with myofascial pain syndrome and chronic fatigue syndrome). In my particular case, I feel it was viral in origin, and stress (which I seem unable to escape) exacerbates it.
2 Timothy 1:7 For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind.
Nytviolet
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby German2 on July 4th, 2014, 3:29 am

Hi Nytviolet,

I have sent you a PN with a question regarding this...
German2
Saint
Saint

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to General Topics