Hashimotos

General Topics

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

Hashimotos

Postby leaflea on June 12th, 2014, 10:00 pm

It seems several of us have been diagnosed with this. I have been looking into it and it seems it is not always a simple diagnosis. Those of you who have it confirmed, or who have been tested for it...can you please share what was involved in your diagnosis? I have found three different tests that can be done. Please share what you know and remember of this process. Thanks!
Matthew 6:27 Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to his life?
leaflea
Saint
Saint

Re: Hashimotos

Postby Red Raider on June 12th, 2014, 10:35 pm

I didn't even know I had it until I had it removed and they sent it off to pathology to test it. My levels were staying normal but my thyroid kept getting larger. I had a hard time swallowing and that is what basically led me in to the surgeon to have it removed. My symptoms would fluctuate though one day I would be hypo then it would turn on me and I would be hyper but as far as the twitching goes it has not let up I will even say it has gotten worse for me since I had it removed maybe I need to give it more time to get my body fluctuated right. But they say hosimotos will cause twitching so I'm 2 weeks post op so only time will tell. If anybody has any personal question to ask or more in detail please feel free to PM me have a good night.

Houston
Red Raider

Postby Yuliasir on June 13th, 2014, 12:11 am

as RedRider says, it is hard to establish, because hormone levels are not constant during the day, and thyroid works in different directions (hypo and hyper), and only late hashimoto means hypoactive thyroid.
my mom has it, and her only clinical sign is slow enlargement of thyroid (she had scyntigraphy a week ago, fortunately clean). I seem to have it too and I ony keep my regular yearly checks with US. Not diagnosed oficially yet.
Yuliasir
Saint
Saint

Postby leaflea on June 13th, 2014, 1:05 am

Thanks. Very interesting. I've had docs suspicious of it for different things and had the simple test many times. Always normal. Wondering if it is worth pursuing anti body test etc. would this be related to ANA? Keep your stories and info coming...yuliasir would it be worthwhile to try some synthetic thyroid for you? My moms thyroid quit on her totally at age 18.
leaflea
Saint
Saint

Postby Yuliasir on June 13th, 2014, 1:07 am

I was trying once few years ago... but anyway I have so high adrenaline level (possibly, due to fascial hair resistant to hormonal therapy) and some other symptomes that thyroid may not be my main trouble generator :)
Yuliasir
Saint
Saint

Postby Red Raider on June 13th, 2014, 2:18 am

You could see mine in my neck when I would swallow. My endo doctor did a ultr sound every six months that how we could tell it was getting bigger. I had all kinds of blood test ran nothing picked it up I even seen a rheumatoid doctor and tested a ANA panel nothing showed up so you might just be spinning your wheels. The only test I know of related to thyroid is calcium, TSH LEVEL AND T4 levels.
Red Raider

Postby leaflea on June 14th, 2014, 5:08 pm

I found three things
1. TSH - this is the most common one and I have had it tested many times. Always normal. Apparently - it isn't all that sensitive as you would assume.
2. Anti-thyroid Antibodies Tests (ATA) - also known as thyroid perosidase antibody test and anti-thyroglobulin antibody test
3. Free T4 Test

http://www.endocrineweb.com/conditions/ ... -diagnosis
leaflea
Saint
Saint

Postby Red Raider on June 14th, 2014, 11:57 pm

Oh yes the ATA my bad I never really dealt with that for I had trouble swallowing so they removed it ASAP. But as I say again everything was normal when they tested it. Be cautious if you get a CT scan of it because the iodine they inject in you will suppress the thyroid to make it normal I know it sounds strange but I know from experience lol.
Red Raider

Postby German2 on June 21st, 2014, 4:39 am

Dear leflea,
I sent you a personal message on this..
German2
Saint
Saint

Postby leaflea on June 21st, 2014, 10:34 am

I did not get it :-( email or text or through this site?
leaflea
Saint
Saint

Postby German2 on June 21st, 2014, 12:30 pm

I sent you again a PN via this site...
German2
Saint
Saint

Sponsor

Sponsor