Hands Feel Really Weird

Information about how to manage or reduce the severity of BFS symptoms

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

Hands Feel Really Weird

Postby Joanne on November 27th, 2002, 11:23 am

Hi,
I am having a bad week.....my hands are feeling strange....aside from the finger twitches (which drive me batty) my hands just feel weird...not right..when i try to do things i can do them but i am very aware that my hand don't seem to "flow" like they used to, it seems like things are harder to do with them but yet i am able to still do things...example..when i fold the laundry they feel more clumpsy, or when i am typing they feel like it takes more effort to do it...
can anyone relate??? I am just starting to think maybe this is not BCFS and it MS or something...
Thanks
Joanne
Joanne

Postby Arron on November 27th, 2002, 1:44 pm

Hi Joanne, I have had the same thing from time to time. It is usually with one of my hands, like one will react slow on command sometimes or feel stiffer than normal. It could be something simple like a small srthritis flare-up or a bit of Fibromyalgia or maybe it is associated with BFS. I am not 100% sure but people do talk about the same symptom from time to time and I, myself, get it from time to time too. Hang in there and give it a week or so. Mine usually goes away in a couple of days. Yours "may" last a bit longer or it may not... everyone is different.
Arron

first thing I noticed

Postby jblack on November 27th, 2002, 1:54 pm

Joanne -- that was the first thing that scared me -- I felt like my fingers were clumping together, I felt kinda clumsy. But it comes and goes, so I don't think it's anything to worry about. I expect yours will come and go too.

jesse.
jblack

Postby Debbs on November 27th, 2002, 11:17 pm

Hello Joanne,

Im sorry that you are not having a good week, I hope that the next one will be better for you. I can recall having similar symptoms to you, I had one hand in particular that seemed "odd" it wouldnt write properly and was seemingly clumsy, sometimes it seemed to me that the messages were not getting thru and so my fingers were not repsonding correctly and therefore taking longer to do what I wanted them to do. I confess that at the time I didnt recognise that my stress levels were way up there and so was my anxiety, anxiety causes a multitude of symptoms all of which are benign. Do you also suffer from Anxiety? I dont have all the answers but I do know that inner anxiety is hard to detect at times and by the time it has manifested itself we are usuallay showing lots of differing symptoms which scare the heck out of us. Try not to worry Joanne, take some time out sit down have a nice cup of tea and listen to some soft soothing music, then see how you feel, if your still worried please go and see someone who can put your mind at ease.

Take care
Deb
Debbs

Postby Joanne on November 28th, 2002, 10:29 am

Thanks for the responses, it helps put the mind at ease....the times when i am stressed the most i guess i never realize it until after when i can look back and say wow i guess i was stressed/anxiety. I just go with the flow.
so i think!!!
But thanks again, and if anyone else has had this happen please share.
Thanks
Joanne
Joanne

Postby tlotoxl on November 28th, 2002, 11:57 am

Yeah, that happens to me sometimes, too. Generally when my hands get cold ;), but sometimes independently. Like you, I started to worry about MS (or something, anything -- just as long as it would keep me up at night), but after a while it seemed to get better on its own. I don't know now if it was stress that caused it or if it is related to BFS/fibromyalgia, but I don't worry about it as much anymore. It sucks when it happens, though, and it can be hard to ignore...
tlotoxl
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby Arron on November 29th, 2002, 12:05 am

I think the thing to keep in mind here is that it's clear that quite a few of us BFS'er's and Fibro suffer'ers have this strange, time to time hand coordination thing going on that Debbs described so well, and that so far, I have seen NOTHING more come of it and NO ONE has gone on to develop anything more serious than the regular symptoms we already have. So, keep in perspective that although this IS a symptom of "something", so far, no one has been dehabilitated from it. It's just another one of those strange "benign" symptoms we get sometimes. Try not to let it "get" to you.
Arron

Postby Nigel555 on January 11th, 2003, 4:33 pm

Hi Jo,

I get problems with my hands to I tend to notice it more when I'm working in the cold weather, I will grip someting and when get like cramps in the hands when I let go which does scare me have to death its been going on for about 14 months now its just flaired up again now its very cold here in the Uk, and it does worry me to, but 14 months down the line I hope its just nothing

Regards Nigel
cheers Nigel
Nigel555

Postby DogBone on January 12th, 2003, 12:23 am

I get some of the same feelings -- but I notice that when I wake up I do not have any problems for the first few hours. Not until, I let my brain get paranoid do my hands/shoulder start getting all jello-like. When I went to one of the top ALS docs (heads clinic) he asked me a very good question and I would ask you the same.

"Have you noticed any loss of strength?"

Notice that all the ALS symtomology charts indicate weakness as a symptom. However, as this doctor indicates, it is NOT a weird/fatigued/clumped/clumsy/buzzing (or even weakness) ... feelings that they are looking for because those are caused by anxiety. They are looking for a LOSS OF STRENGTH. Also, ALS will be asymetric -- so test the strength in both hands to see if it is SIMILAR (it wont be identical). If it is then it is not ALS, but our fears getting the best of us.

For what it is worth -- I sure remember clumped hands while performing at my piano recital? Why -- Anxiety -- not that anxiety is fun as well all know - it sucks. However, better that than ALS. Anyway --
DogBone
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby qbert on January 13th, 2003, 9:22 am

I also get this 'clumping' of fingers it manifests itself with my ring fingers trying to cross over the middle fingers. I plays merry hell with my typing (I work with computers) - It's not so much they won't work but the sometimes go in the wrong place. They also 'just dont feel right' sometimes. this usually follows a few late nights, or a heavy week at work. It usually also accompanies a hangover. so I think the message is clear - no actual weakness - it's just another one of those things we get to live with.

all the best
qbert

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to Symptom Management