Tongue twitching

This forum is for posting your personal experiences with BFS: symptoms, doctor visits, fears, etc.

Please use this forum to post give and recieve encoragement and reassurance from sharing the trials and triumphs you have faced.

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

Tongue twitching

Postby InTheMoment on June 4th, 2014, 11:55 am

Remind me again that tongue twitching is just like all other muscle twitching??

It's been about a year since I've been here. I first noticed the twitching almost exactly a year ago -- it started in my tongue and then spread all over my body. After I calmed down about it, it decreased dramatically and I basically stopped thinking about it.

Fast forward to about a month or so ago and I noticed my tongue twitching again -- not constant, just twitches throughout the day. Some days worse than others. I also had a week-long twitch in my eyelid, which has come and gone. I am in the middle of a cross-country move and experiencing significant stress. I have zero other symptoms or concerns. So, can ya'll remind me that tongue twitching is just like any other muscle twitching?

Do I need to do anything other than chill out, try to manage stress, and enjoy my move?
InTheMoment

Re: Tongue twitching

Postby bobajojo on June 4th, 2014, 2:33 pm

I've had tongue twitching every day for 3 years, have had plenty today as well. I get all kinds, big ones, flutters, poprock twitches, I had one that looked like my tongue was pulling to the side that lasted nearly a year. It still comes back to say hello every now and then. I get them in all areas of the tongue. I find that there are two different kinds of tongue twitches (and I have them both). There are clear twitches where one spot will fire anywhere from 1 to 20 times in a row and then there are fasciculations on the tongue where the tongue is completely rested in mouth and I get little dimples in multiple spots. Exercise and coffee make them worse. This is what my neuro told me when I complained about them: "This is of no concern to me. I've said this all along, twitching in the absence of true clinical weakness is benign... period." I hope this helps. -Matt
Over 10 billion twitches since May 2011.
bobajojo
Saint
Saint

Postby InTheMoment on June 4th, 2014, 4:34 pm

Thanks, Matt. It does help to hear (again!) that there's no difference between tongue and other twitching. I shouldn't be surprised that I'm in a tongue twitching phase right now, as I've had an increase in other twitches as well. I suppose I can attribute it to the stress of a big move!
InTheMoment

Postby Debd4l on June 4th, 2014, 5:23 pm

I was just coming here to post this as well lol...I have been twitching pretty much all over for about a year and a half now. My tongue twitching just started, like Matt said it is the kind the pulls it to the side a little. I am not getting very many of them but tongue also feels weird. I do get exercize intolerance and otehr time muscle soreness with my twitching so why I am so surprised I am getting that with my tongue now?! Anyway, I had a normal EMG last year and I just needed to read that I was not alone. Thanks :D
Debd4l
Interested
Interested

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to Experiences with BFS