Saliva and mucus issues

This forum is for posting your personal experiences with BFS: symptoms, doctor visits, fears, etc.

Please use this forum to post give and recieve encoragement and reassurance from sharing the trials and triumphs you have faced.

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

Saliva and mucus issues

Postby nervous nel on April 12th, 2014, 8:21 am

Hello everyone I've had a constant feeling for several weeks that my sinuses are clogged and my nose feels bunged up, today my saliva seems very thick and sticky in my mouth, advice please x
nervous nel

Re: Saliva and mucus issues

Postby Yuliasir on April 12th, 2014, 9:55 am

Nel, the only advice is to go to ENT if it really bothers you.

How much of saliva we have, mostly depends on your autonomous system operation, which seem to be severely involved in BFS. In your case you may have some dehydration due to long term stress. Stressed people usually first complain for hypersalivation, they complain for 'drooling', etc. In several days or weeks of stress they started to lost water via urination (increased due to adrenaline spikes) and, especially if they are not used to notice that, start to develope some dehydration. This may cause your saliva to be a but thicker that usually, or may casue dry mouth etc. Mouth breathing due to swollen noze may also 'help' with this feeling of thick saliva.

as for your sinuses, they may be just swollen. This may be so called vasomotoric snivels (directly translated from related Russian term, have no idea how it is called in English) - but in fact it is stress related swelling of nazal mucosa, pretty much the same which causes tightness in the throat our fellows often take for bulbar symptom.
Yuliasir
Saint
Saint

Postby nervous nel on April 12th, 2014, 4:33 pm

Thank you yuliasir, I didn't know dehydration can cause thick saliva! Which is really funny as I barely drank anything yesterday and I'm not a very good drinker some days so not surprised if I'm dehydrated! You really are a good person :)
nervous nel

Postby Yuliasir on April 13th, 2014, 3:24 am

Thanks nel :)

I also often forget to drink (and may live for a whole sunny summer day on one or two cups of tea). No wonder I often have cramps :)))
Yuliasir
Saint
Saint

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to Experiences with BFS