Self Imposed Experiment

General Topics

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

Self Imposed Experiment

Postby Watereddown on March 21st, 2014, 2:02 am

Hey everyone,

In the spirit of finals week, I have decided to test some stuff out with my "BFS" and see what really triggers these outbreaks in symptoms. Before finals began, I just had the twitch or tingle every now and then. However, in the past 48 hours, I have only gotten one hour of sleep. My body feels like its jittery all over. I've been having myoclonic jerks all day, and even my facial muscles tremble when I smile. NONE of these symptoms were present when I was not in finals week, and was well rested, so to say. I feel my teeth chattering against themselves as Im typing this, and my legs just feel weak in general. I've been getting really rough muscle twitches, and some twitches are even mildly painful. This is a direct result of sleep deprivation.

So, when you find yourself worrying and staying up all night tossing and turning, chances are you are likely fueling the fire, and aggravating your symptoms even more. Sleep is so crucial here. I was really interested in seeing what would happen to my body if I pushed it in terms of pulling all-nighters. I definitely can't say I'm surprised. I cannot wait until my finals are over, so I can catch up on some much needed sleep.

Alright, back to studying...

ZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzZZZZ
Watereddown

Re: Self Imposed Experiment

Postby Watereddown on March 22nd, 2014, 12:32 am

Alright I need a little input from you guys.

Today, the roof of my mouth and nose have been going numb on and off throughout the day. Its nothing too alarming, but it is just bothering me. Its obviously the nerve that is running through them both. The thing is, the last time I felt this, was when I was stressed and sleep deprived. I don't know if it's a coincidence or not, but I am extremely sleep deprived, and was stressed due to this being finals week. My theory on this if it isn't anything serious, which is a big IF, is that unconsciously I'm clenching my jaws, and this is causing tension on the nerve. I have all four of wisdom teeth still intact, and they have grown impacted, which I was supposed to remove 8 years ago, but I haven't gotten around to doing that. So what Im thinking is that the impacted teeth are putting tension on the palate, and this tension is being distributed along the nerve to my nose. Does that sound plausible? I've consulted dr. google, and for the most part, there wasn't too much on it (well I was expecting worse, so I was kind of happy with the results lol). I know this is not a symptom of what people complain of here, but I haven't really seen it mentioned much, and even when I bring it up to doctors, they're kind of baffled.

Also, I decided today to go into the sauna again to see if my body will have any adverse side effects from the heat. I was in there for five minutes, and for the most part, didn't notice anything out of the ordinary. My symptoms didn't flare, nor did I feel foggy or what not. But the strange thing is, when I'm walking outside under the sun when its ~80ºF, I begin to feel really sluggish and foggy. I feel the parasthesia in terms of burning sensations and tingling. But again, I didn't feel them in the sauna. Was it because I wasn't in the sauna long enough to feel it? I was getting a good sweat in, but again I'm not sure. Anyone have any ideas?

Like I said, input greatly appreciated!
Watereddown

Postby ShawnW on March 23rd, 2014, 8:05 pm

I can't say enough about proper sleep in this disorder. When I don't sleep it's like every neuron is lit up...hyperexcited. I twitch, hurt, cramp, myoclonic jerk, if someone touches me I jump...even seeing people enter into my peripheral field of view can get me to jump. My reflexes start really hopping, my speech gets weird. The whole 9 yards. When I sleep I'm better more days than not.
ShawnW
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby Watereddown on March 24th, 2014, 2:14 am

ShawnW wrote:I can't say enough about proper sleep in this disorder. When I don't sleep it's like every neuron is lit up...hyperexcited. I twitch, hurt, cramp, myoclonic jerk, if someone touches me I jump...even seeing people enter into my peripheral field of view can get me to jump. My reflexes start really hopping, my speech gets weird. The whole 9 yards. When I sleep I'm better more days than not.

I hear ya shawn. I'm finally beginning to make up all the sleep debt I've accumulated this past week. Feel a little bit better, but still can't shake the fogginess.
Watereddown

Postby ShawnW on March 24th, 2014, 10:04 am

Watereddown wrote:
ShawnW wrote:I can't say enough about proper sleep in this disorder. When I don't sleep it's like every neuron is lit up...hyperexcited. I twitch, hurt, cramp, myoclonic jerk, if someone touches me I jump...even seeing people enter into my peripheral field of view can get me to jump. My reflexes start really hopping, my speech gets weird. The whole 9 yards. When I sleep I'm better more days than not.

I hear ya shawn. I'm finally beginning to make up all the sleep debt I've accumulated this past week. Feel a little bit better, but still can't shake the fogginess.
It takes awhile to really catch up. I really believe I damaged my nervous system with a year of crazy worrying. The *** worry was just the straw that broke the camels back. I think everyones path to recovery is a bit different. I feel like I'm well on my way. But, I really worked on my anxiety...massages, dead sea salt baths, not testing my muscles, sleep hygiene, meditation, prayer, AA meetings, and some simple strategies to combat anxiety (like the simple knowledge that I'm not a victim and anxiety is truly a choice). When I was able to say ok God, if this is my lot...if this is the way it's supposed to go down then I accept it. When that beautiful process of acceptance happened, I started sleeping again. I stopped worrying. And I felt my hyperexcited nervous start to calm down. I'm probably about 80% better, lifting weights again, sleeping well most nights. I must admit some of the recent posts here have stirred me up a bit, but I'm dealing with it better than 2 months ago. That is truly a blessing.
ShawnW
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby Watereddown on March 24th, 2014, 8:56 pm

ShawnW wrote:
Watereddown wrote:

It takes awhile to really catch up. I really believe I damaged my nervous system with a year of crazy worrying. The *** worry was just the straw that broke the camels back. I think everyones path to recovery is a bit different. I feel like I'm well on my way. But, I really worked on my anxiety...massages, dead sea salt baths, not testing my muscles, sleep hygiene, meditation, prayer, AA meetings, and some simple strategies to combat anxiety (like the simple knowledge that I'm not a victim and anxiety is truly a choice). When I was able to say ok God, if this is my lot...if this is the way it's supposed to go down then I accept it. When that beautiful process of acceptance happened, I started sleeping again. I stopped worrying. And I felt my hyperexcited nervous start to calm down. I'm probably about 80% better, lifting weights again, sleeping well most nights. I must admit some of the recent posts here have stirred me up a bit, but I'm dealing with it better than 2 months ago. That is truly a blessing.

And the best way to finally get over it is to just leave the boards for a bit. Just completely forget about the whole ordeal. Once you're completely at peace with everything, then a return to the boards to help out newbies would be ideal.
Watereddown

Postby ShawnW on March 25th, 2014, 6:53 am

This is really good advice...since I'm still very much a newb to the experience of BFS. I think most of us are a bit neurotic that come here...I'm very much the same. Type A coupled with an addictive/anxious personality who thrives in helping fields makes that tough. It's funny because before Jan. my exposure and knowledge of *** was very basic on par with most GPs. I had no knowledge of a disease called BFS...just wasn't taught in school. I have absorbed everything I could, including constantly picking the brain of my neurologist partner and friend since Jan. It's been quite a ride, gained a lot of knowledge, insight, and some tools for dealing with all of this. This place has been such a help to me, want to give back a little. With that said, I do need to put it down for awhile. Harder said than done.
ShawnW
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to General Topics