Als scare

General Topics

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

Als scare

Postby Roman on March 20th, 2014, 8:42 am

Good morning all, I am new to this site but have been browsing for a while now and would like to hear any opinions, also please forgive the length of this post. I am a 46 year old male with uncontrolled diabetes for a number of years. On Jan. 14 I was driving and all of a sudden both arms went completely numb. I thought I was hhaving a heart attack so drove immediately to the emergency room. Upon triage I was suspected of having a strike and was admitted. That day and night I received a ct scan with and without contrast as well as an MRI. All came back clear. However upon the massive amounts of blood work I received found that my a1c was 9.8. The doctors at the Hosp. Stated that I may have carpel tunnel and to follow up with a neurologist.when I got home from Hosp. I noticed that my RIT thumb was twitching. Foolishly I looked up twitching thumb and a ton of als info came up. I made an apt with neuro for 2 weeks.while waiting for my appt I began to have random twitches all over my body and from my hips down felt heavy. At that time I went to the e room again and after the drs there gave me some strength tests they called the attending neuro and he wanted to see me the next day for an emg. He gave me the emg ncv . As well as an MRI of my cervical spine. The ncv came back stating I have carpel tunnel and poly neuropathy in my legs. The emg was clean no basics,fribs, positive sharp waves, however he only did it on the RIT side of my body, at c7, l4, and my left thumb. He told me he didn't see any als. I then went to my scheduled neuro appt. And he gave me strength tests which were all normal however I'm a little off balance on one foot, no Babinski sign no hypereflexia. He then went over my MRI of my neck and stated that I have severe spondylosis at c 567 with flattening of ventral chord. He told me that I have carpel tunnel in both arms and plyneuropathy due to diabetes. I asked him about also and he state I don't have it. I told him the Dr. Only checked one side to which he said that's all they needed. This was last week. I told him about my twitching and he didn't see concerned and said it was from my spine and neuropathy. Since then I have been twitching all over predominantly on my left side, the side they didn't check but still have lost no strength. I know I need to stop researching also and should take his advise and deal with my diabetes, which I have. But this twitching is getting worse even in my outer ear. My question is how can he be so sure if my left side wasn't checked. Hank you for all or any replies.
Roman

Re: Als scare

Postby Roman on March 20th, 2014, 8:50 am

Just to add that I still have achyness from my hips down to my feet and dr wants a 6 month follow up is that normal.
Roman

Postby ShawnW on March 20th, 2014, 11:45 am

He can be sure because your clinical checked out. An EMG isn't needed to rule out ***. Your presentation doesn't remotely sound like *** but it doesn't sound like BFS either. If I were to venture a guess I suspect this is coming from your neck. You can have sudden worsening of bilateral numbness and weakness with a cervical myelopathy. It can even come and go depending on if the neck is hypermobile. Depending on the hypermobility status of the neck you can have a sudden onset of symptoms that improves.
ShawnW
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby Roman on March 20th, 2014, 12:32 pm

Thank you so much for your reply
Roman

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to General Topics