Another question for the tremorers.

General Topics

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

Another question for the tremorers.

Postby Arkansan on February 3rd, 2014, 10:45 pm

So does any one else ever feel like sometimes they notice a fine tremor in their knees when they are sitting? Sometimes I swear I feel a very fine one in my knees/legs? I also still have my hands tremble like crazy when I open the hand up, then I notice that if I hold it in that position that sometime a finger will move back and forth some. I also swear there is a tremble in my lower jaw sometimes. I have good days and bad days and it does seem slightly better after my atenolol. So any one else have all these? Truth told I am still worried about PD as my grandfather has it and has less stiffness with it then most.
Arkansan
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Re: Another question for the tremorers.

Postby yaumno on February 20th, 2014, 11:06 am

The tremor in your knees/leg could definitely be part of the BFS. I have the exact same thing in spades. When I hold my knee in a certain position when standing or sitting I notice a really fast and small tremor that can't be seen but I can definitely feel it. It almost feels like a vibration but then when I move the joint the frequency will change and I can feel that it is actually trembling.

The other three things that you mentioned: trembling hands while opening your fingers, fingers that move back and forth when held outstretched, and a fine tremor in your jaw - these are all part of the normal physiological tremor in everyone. Get a close friend or family member to do the same actions as when you notice the problems and you will see the exact same thing. I have devised a few ways to test these specific things actually as I thought that mine were BFS as well a while ago. Have your friend make a fist with their palm down then have them open their fingers at different speeds. The physiological tremor is only noticeable at "middle" speeds so having them perform the actions at multiple velocities will help you see them. The fingers that move back and forth are also completely normal and if you have your friend hold out their fingers in different positions you will see that they are present. As for the jaw thing - the best way to see this one is to have your friend open their lips and then hold their teeth just a millimeter or half of a millimeter apart. You will see, and they will notice, that their teeth will chatter slightly depending on the position of their jaw. Now to be fair these different artifacts of the physiological tremor may be exaggerated in your body for an unknown reason. Personally, I think that the problem might be in in the sensory fibers. My theory so far is that us BFSers have slightly heightened sensory neurons and this causes us to notice the fine trembling associated with the physiological tremor while "normal" non-BFSers do not notice them.

I have a question for you actually. Do you notice that the trembling in your knee and leg affects one leg more than the other? My right leg has been going nuts with it for months now and I have a lot of stiffness and muscle tightness when I walk but my left leg seems largely unaffected. Let me know what you think and if you have any other questions.
Tempus edax rerum: "Time devours all things" - Ovid from "Metamorphoses"
yaumno
Interested
Interested

Postby edado69 on February 20th, 2014, 11:48 am

Arkansan wrote:So does any one else ever feel like sometimes they notice a fine tremor in their knees when they are sitting? Sometimes I swear I feel a very fine one in my knees/legs? I also still have my hands tremble like crazy when I open the hand up, then I notice that if I hold it in that position that sometime a finger will move back and forth some. I also swear there is a tremble in my lower jaw sometimes. I have good days and bad days and it does seem slightly better after my atenolol. So any one else have all these? Truth told I am still worried about PD as my grandfather has it and has less stiffness with it then most.

I wonder if you are taking atenolol for your blood pressure rather than tremor. propanolol, always a beta-blocker, may be used with benefit for idiopathic tremor, or tremor in anxiety. No, PD is not an option.
BFS and idiopathic tremor have been associated by many (but, I don't know many that are not anxious, at the least about their twitches. I am, even if I reckon I am not and I have never been before the onset of the twitching - which is the only thing really upsetting me: fear...why? why me? what is going to happen next? this is anxiety...yep).
Myself, I wondered if there may be a "neurological connection".
Fasciculating from the 25/03/2007 (as accurately as I can recall!...)
edado69
Saint
Saint

Postby Arkansan on March 17th, 2014, 7:35 pm

yaumno wrote:The tremor in your knees/leg could definitely be part of the BFS. I have the exact same thing in spades. When I hold my knee in a certain position when standing or sitting I notice a really fast and small tremor that can't be seen but I can definitely feel it. It almost feels like a vibration but then when I move the joint the frequency will change and I can feel that it is actually trembling.

The other three things that you mentioned: trembling hands while opening your fingers, fingers that move back and forth when held outstretched, and a fine tremor in your jaw - these are all part of the normal physiological tremor in everyone. Get a close friend or family member to do the same actions as when you notice the problems and you will see the exact same thing. I have devised a few ways to test these specific things actually as I thought that mine were BFS as well a while ago. Have your friend make a fist with their palm down then have them open their fingers at different speeds. The physiological tremor is only noticeable at "middle" speeds so having them perform the actions at multiple velocities will help you see them. The fingers that move back and forth are also completely normal and if you have your friend hold out their fingers in different positions you will see that they are present. As for the jaw thing - the best way to see this one is to have your friend open their lips and then hold their teeth just a millimeter or half of a millimeter apart. You will see, and they will notice, that their teeth will chatter slightly depending on the position of their jaw. Now to be fair these different artifacts of the physiological tremor may be exaggerated in your body for an unknown reason. Personally, I think that the problem might be in in the sensory fibers. My theory so far is that us BFSers have slightly heightened sensory neurons and this causes us to notice the fine trembling associated with the physiological tremor while "normal" non-BFSers do not notice them.

I have a question for you actually. Do you notice that the trembling in your knee and leg affects one leg more than the other? My right leg has been going nuts with it for months now and I have a lot of stiffness and muscle tightness when I walk but my left leg seems largely unaffected. Let me know what you think and if you have any other questions.

Sorry it has taken me so long to reply, my life has been a disaster here lately. I had my wife do the thing you recommended with the hand and sure enough her fingers do the same thing when opening them from a fist, sometimes its stronger than others even it was reassuring to see. As to the question you asked I don't notice a side preference in my knees, though I do have some pain in my right knee I believe that is the result of an injury from a fist fight that I never got looked at. However my left hand has been worse about bfs symptoms from the very start, particularly the tremoring feeling.

If I may ask, do you notice that the movement in your hands hands/fingers is jerky sometimes when you reach for something? I also notice that there is a sensation with the tremoring or jerking in the left hand that isn't there in the right hand even when it is doing it.
Arkansan
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby Arkansan on March 17th, 2014, 7:35 pm

yaumno wrote:The tremor in your knees/leg could definitely be part of the BFS. I have the exact same thing in spades. When I hold my knee in a certain position when standing or sitting I notice a really fast and small tremor that can't be seen but I can definitely feel it. It almost feels like a vibration but then when I move the joint the frequency will change and I can feel that it is actually trembling.

Sorry it has taken me so long to reply, my life has been a disaster here lately. I had my wife do the thing you recommended with the hand and sure enough her fingers do the same thing when opening them from a fist, sometimes its stronger than others even it was reassuring to see. As to the question you asked I don't notice a side preference in my knees, though I do have some pain in my right knee I believe that is the result of an injury from a fist fight that I never got looked at. However my left hand has been worse about bfs symptoms from the very start, particularly the tremoring feeling.

If I may ask, do you notice that the movement in your hands hands/fingers is jerky sometimes when you reach for something? I also notice that there is a sensation with the tremoring or jerking in the left hand that isn't there in the right hand even when it is doing it.
Arkansan
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to General Topics