EB Virus

General Topics

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

EB Virus

Postby Watereddown on March 13th, 2014, 11:41 pm

Who here has tested positive for the EB Virus? I know many feel virus's have a huge role to play with bfs, but I think the main culprit is the Epstein-Barr Virus. I have a strong inclination that this virus is at the root of all of my problems, and probably many of yours as well. However, I started feeling the symptoms of BFS 2 years after I tested positive. I believe stress re-activated the virus and since then it has been causing havoc. I know it is a relatively common virus, but it is known to lead to some sort of auto-immune disorders. I'm just interested to see how many members here have been exposed to the virus. Thanks
Watereddown

Re: EB Virus

Postby emmie.s on March 14th, 2014, 6:35 am

Both my kids get cold sores during the winter, is that the same thing? I'm sure I carry the virus too because I've drank after them, etc..but I don't get the cold sores. Maybe in lieu of cold sores i get random little twitches? Lol
Interesting you mention autoimmune, because I tested positive with a low titer to lupus and sjogrens.
I've had bfs symptoms come and go for years but my last serious bout came a year ago, afterI got my wisdom teeth removed. Maybe I got a virus from the equipment, and that triggered it, or maybe it was the antibiotics. Although no one really knows, it's interesting to think about.
emmie.s
Hero
Hero

Postby Yuliasir on March 14th, 2014, 8:33 am

cold sores are caused by herpes.
EB Virus, however also belongs to herpes family, causes another quite common disease called infectous mononucleosis. For most of all it comes as common angina (throat glands inflammation), but the older is person, the more dangerous is the disease. My close friend and his partner had EBV infection at the age of about 20, and it cost them oth several weeks in hospital and subsequent through followup because EBV can cause also various limphomas.
It also causes or at least is related to so called herpetic angina which I had twice in my life and this was AWFUL, really.

about 95 % of populatin has EBV traces in the organizm, and generally it is not dangerous, unless the organizm is weakened.
Yuliasir
Saint
Saint

Postby Watereddown on March 14th, 2014, 3:38 pm

The reason i bring up the EBV is because it has been linked to auto-immune conditions. But like Yuliasir mentioned, by the time a person reaches 40, their chances of being exposed to the virus is 95%. So it is a fairly common one. Yet some people will really get it bad from it, as it is linked to MS and Burkitt's lymphoma. But I'm also extremely curious that if it is linked to the BFS umbrella (PNH, etc...) as well.

The interesting thing is that I'm taking a cell biology class right now and we have reached the point in the class in which we talk about viruses and how they impact the body in terms of mutations. My professor is a very intelligent person, and he spent a bit talking about MS. He did say that the verdict is up in the air on what really causes MS, but it seems to be a combination of factors that are involved. I'm sure within the next 50 years someone will figure it out. I mention this because I know that at least 50% of the board is worried about MS, and hopefully we can educate ourselves on the facts, rather than the horror stories we stumble upon online (like I did yesterday).

Also, I spoke to a doctor about BFS and if it can be considered an autoimmune disorder. He said that since it has not been known to progress to anything, then he doubts that it is autoimmune in nature. WHat do you guys think about this?
Watereddown

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to General Topics