Emotional Freedom Technique (EFT) helps PTSD

Information about how to manage or reduce the severity of BFS symptoms

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

Emotional Freedom Technique (EFT) helps PTSD

Postby SecretAgentMan on February 26th, 2014, 8:59 pm

I am in agreement with MarioMangler, a fellow veteran of BFS and this site, that BFS has many strong parallels to Post Traumatic Stress Disorder. I do not dare compare the stress and emotional turmoil our brave men and women endure in life and death situations, but I also cannot deny the strong correlation in symptoms between the two disorders. I personally believe that BFS is only different from PTSD in that BFS builds much more slowly over time and PTSD is the result of incredibly intense stressful experiences. I believe the toll the stress takes on us is cumulative. We BFSers subject ourselves to stress and worry constantly 24/7 over the mundane stresses of everyday life while soldiers of war get it much rougher over short periods of time. The results can be amazingly similar. Twitching is common among PTSD sufferers among many other sensory and neurological issues.

So why am I going into the details of the similarities? It is because the Department of Veteran Affairs (VA) has been researching Complimentary and Alternative Medicine (CAM) techniques to help people with PTSD. Currently over 90% of VA hospitals offer classes in meditation and they have been having a lot of success with it. Acupuncture is now in its 2nd phase of trials based on the success of the first round. Another technique gaining traction is something called the Emotional Freedom Technique or EFT. EFT utilizes the acupressure points of the acupuncture system to clear out blockages caused by traumatic events and cumulative stress. I just read this article about EFT and PTSD and I thought I would share it. Again, I think the parallels are strong enough that this is very relevant to the BFS folks here. Please keep an open mind, as I know that acupuncture and the 'energy' it works with is not something that many are comfortable with. Thanks and enjoy (article below).

http://www.eftuniverse.com/index.php?op ... your-input
If your mind is your own worst enemy, why not make friends with it and turn it into your greatest ally? Mental discipline is achievable and there is help available. Learn what works for you, practice, and change your life for the better.
SecretAgentMan
Saint
Saint

Re: Emotional Freedom Technique (EFT) helps PTSD

Postby MarioMangler on February 27th, 2014, 2:16 am

This is fascinating. Thanks for posting it. I think a lot of people here would be wise to look into this stuff, it is certainly more productive than just obsessing over the next 4 EMGs that you don't even need. BFS and PTSD have a -lot- of parallels.
BFS FAQ:
1. No, that's not bulbar
2. No, the location doesn't matter
3. Yes, we have all had that symptom
4. No, you're not the exception
5. No, that's not ominous
6. No, you don't need an EMG
7. Yes, you will be fine
MarioMangler
Saint
Saint

Postby UFGatorGuy20 on March 3rd, 2014, 2:07 pm

I DON'T KNOW WHY I HAVE COMPLETELY FORGOTTEN ABOUT THIS. I remember coming across EFT during my stress reduction searches and even tellling my wife about it. It seemed very different, but it's a simple technique. I remember I decided to give it a shot while doing one of my sea salt baths. Two techniques in one sitting. I believe I noticed a difference. Both the verbal and physical repeitition began to settle me during just my first test. This was probably 2 months ago and I just lost lock on doing it again. Thanks for the reminder! Time to get back to tapping.
UFGatorGuy20

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to Symptom Management