Constant twitching

This forum is for posting your personal experiences with BFS: symptoms, doctor visits, fears, etc.

Please use this forum to post give and recieve encoragement and reassurance from sharing the trials and triumphs you have faced.

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

Re: Constant twitching

Postby Yuliasir on January 23rd, 2014, 11:31 pm

Amylou,
as RGB says, your doctor got his education not in the internet by via 6-10 years of education and many years of practice. He KNOWS what is ALS and what is not. Like when you come to GP and say I am sneezing, look! - your doctor may tell whether you have flu or hay fever, despite on sneezing is the symptom of both.
In ALS neither cramps nor twitches are differentiating symptoms. You need to present with changes on clinical exam, and changes usually are not subtle. Based on his clinical experience, he can see that you do not demonstrate any coarse or pronounced neurological deficites just by clinical.
He knows at the same time that twitching, cramping, nervousity = BFS.
This is a process called differential diagnosis, just so.
Yuliasir
Saint
Saint

Postby shell67 on January 30th, 2014, 7:55 am

Hi, Amy, how are you feeling since you got your diagnosis? I hope things are better for you. Please keep us updated. I continue to twitch but am not as bothered by it as I used to be. Time really does help. --Michele
shell67

Postby Amylou29 on January 31st, 2014, 1:38 am

Hi shell, well I'm still continuously twitching but I feel better knowing it's benign. To be honest, the only thing that bothers me now is this fatigued sore feeling I seem to have on a daily basis in my left thigh. How are you? Xx
Amylou29
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby Amylou29 on January 31st, 2014, 5:04 am

Can any one explain the difference between soreness,spasticity and stiffness? When it'd the neuro about my sore left thigh he asked if it was stiff and seemed concerned, I said it was sore not stiff but now I'm doubting myself as I'm not actually sure what the difference is. It feels sore when I walk etc but I can't feel it at rest. Is it some kind of exercise intolerence and does any one know of any meds that can help it? Thanks xx
Amylou29
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby Yuliasir on January 31st, 2014, 8:39 am

Soreness is a pain like after workouts. it could be short or more prolonged, satying even for days.
Stifness is a feeling like your joints can not move freely and you need extra effort to flex a fist for example. This is what people with RA often experience.
Spasticity is extreme tightenss of muscle (painful) and inability to flex the muscle becasue of so called tonic spasm. ladies who have experience of non-medicated labours know what is spastic pain because labours in fact are regulated spastic activity of the uterus. Spastic limb takes unusual contracted position, like in a people who survived a stroke (again due to spastic paralysis).

Cramps are not spastisity, as they do not stay longer than few seconds.

Ibuprophene seems to be helpful in case of sore muscles. Hot bath and massage too.
And ZERO selftest, because for many of us selftesting is a source of soreness and pains and cramps.
Yuliasir
Saint
Saint

Postby Amylou29 on January 31st, 2014, 8:36 pm

Thanks yuliasir, what if the soreness is permenent? Still caused by bfs? X
Amylou29
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby Yuliasir on February 1st, 2014, 12:31 am

As far as I understand permanent soreness means you have inflammation process (so called myositis, or just musklce inflammation in plain English). Reasons for myositis, as far as I remember, could be a) chronic infection anywhere in the body as immune system attacks body tissues without making a good difference) b) autoimmune conditions with the specific target on musculosceletal system like RA, etc., c) overexertion for some reasons becasue in that case soreness is caused by local inflammatory agent lactic acid, which is a product of muscle operation, and if not delivered promptly out of the muscles, it causes inflammation and pain, so exertion plus bad blood circulation, that is why soreness is often found in leg muscles. Myositis also is know to be a pure reaction for stress, becasue the body forms muscle tension as part of fight or run reaction.

Hope that would help.
Yuliasir
Saint
Saint

Postby Amylou29 on February 1st, 2014, 5:35 am

So maybe not bfs, I put it down to that as lots of others seem to have soreness and it's started since my twitching, not sure if others have it on a daily basis too.
Amylou29
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby Yuliasir on February 1st, 2014, 8:09 am

BFS involves autoimmune attacks too... why not?
I had soreness after twitching sometimes. But I am extremely non-fit person and I have sore muscles even after easiest gym set (like 8 min Jamie Brenkus video workouts)
Yuliasir
Saint
Saint

Postby Amylou29 on February 2nd, 2014, 2:56 pm

As my thigh hurts mildly all the time I think it's sore and not stiff. I am however, concerned that I'm going to have this soreness permenently. I don't understand why it is there every day even when I'm not twitching in that muscle. I'm getting concerned about the dreaded again.
Amylou29
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby RGB on February 5th, 2014, 1:55 pm

Amylou29 wrote: I'm getting concerned about the dreaded again.

Let me come right out and say it... you need a psychiatrist not a neurologist. Your symptoms don't match 'the dreaded' and the highly-sensitive tests confirm you don't have 'the dreaded' (even crazy, random people on the internet, i.e all of us, KNOW you don't have it).

If you still remain worried about this, in a way that affects your quality of life to any significant degree, then you need psychological help. No number of EMGs or responses from people here is going to help in the long term. You are just going to keep cycling around and around in this 'trap' of unjustified worry.

It's time to break out of it, and get the right help to do so. Best of luck.

RGB

PS Others will be along with a more sympathetic answer but I am a man and it is a well known fact we are all emotionally-retarded :)
My history....Jan '13: Widespread Twitches. May 13': Unremarkable Neuro Exam. Jul '13: Clean EMG. Oct '13: BFS Diagnosis Today's Date: Twitching and Healthy!
RGB
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby Amylou29 on February 14th, 2014, 6:15 pm

Thanks for that RGB, I couldn't agree with you more, I need a huge reality check! I'm getting married in July and keep thinking I'll be dead by then! I don't know what the heck has happened to me to allow this fear to rule my life. I now have a dent to the left of my left knee that hurts and I have convinced myself it's atrophy, been on *** sites and researched it already! I just want this fear to go away but I don't think it's going to any time soon.
PS: you're reply made me laugh so thanks for that. X
Amylou29
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby RGB on February 15th, 2014, 8:50 pm

Amylou29 wrote:Thanks for that RGB, I couldn't agree with you more, I need a huge reality check! I'm getting married in July and keep thinking I'll be dead by then!

Poor old Mr-Amylou29, he's going to be married to a crazy woman for a very long time :)

Stop worrying about ALS, start being concerned enough about your health anxiety that you get it under control, and then go and have a long and happy married life.

RGB
My history....Jan '13: Widespread Twitches. May 13': Unremarkable Neuro Exam. Jul '13: Clean EMG. Oct '13: BFS Diagnosis Today's Date: Twitching and Healthy!
RGB
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby mikes44 on March 1st, 2014, 5:09 pm

I go to bed with heat packs on my calves when they are stiff and hurting, helps me a lot!
mikes44

Postby Amylou29 on March 4th, 2014, 5:33 pm

Thanks mikes 44, do you get them daily? I'm using ibuprofen gel twice daily, it's helping a lot but still feels weird to touch, kind of squidgey and sore to touch. I'm also getting painful twinges in my left thigh, not sure if they're spasms or cramps but they hurt!
Amylou29
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Sponsor

Sponsor

PreviousNext

Return to Experiences with BFS