Leg Symmetry

BFS Online Support Group

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

Leg Symmetry

Postby JOHN1189KY on February 26th, 2014, 12:56 pm

My original neuro has been out of the country so for my follow up this week I seen another doctor. He did a long exam and actually measured my limbs for comparison at a later follow up. He said he my left leg is half an inch smaller than my right. This concerns my so much because my left leg is where all my problems started. I am still having problems with my speech. Seems like I can't catch a break. He ordered two MRI's of my lower back and a bunch of blood work. Follow up the first of April. I think I am going to beg him for a full emg including the bulbar areas then. I am tired of living in hell. I have not been happy since all this started back in September.. :(
JOHN1189KY

Re: Leg Symmetry

Postby SecretAgentMan on February 26th, 2014, 1:16 pm

I would be willing to bet you a steak dinner that your hip and lower spine are out of alignment, which is causing one side of your hip to be higher than the other side. This in turn will make one leg appear longer than the other. Do you sit with one leg crossed over your knee a lot (with your ankle resting on the other knee)? Do you always seem to favor one side over the other? This is just one way such a misalignment can be caused. See a good chiropractor before you get too carried away.
If your mind is your own worst enemy, why not make friends with it and turn it into your greatest ally? Mental discipline is achievable and there is help available. Learn what works for you, practice, and change your life for the better.
SecretAgentMan
Saint
Saint

Postby JOHN1189KY on February 26th, 2014, 3:50 pm

That would certainly make sense. I do favor my left leg. It feels like I am walking funny. Like sometimes I am almost coming down to hard on my heal. (No foot drop or anything like that) But he told me it was smaller in circumference, not length wise. My left leg is what started all this mess. It's been this way since the first of September & what is weird is it pretty much started overnight. I woke up on a Saturday morning and instantly knew that my left leg felt "different". The twitches are the worst in my left leg, so that causes my anxiety to be worse. But I do sit cross legged a lot. I am Police Dispatcher so I sit 8 hours a day, usually with my ankle underneath my knee if that makes sense. When all of this started back in September I was walking 3 miles a day around a track. But I read an article somewhere that said ALS may be more common in people who are physically fit, so I panicked and haven't exercised since. Shewww.
JOHN1189KY

Postby wjjw on February 26th, 2014, 4:42 pm

JOHN1189KY wrote:But he told me it was smaller in circumference, not length wise. My left leg is what started all this mess. It's been this way since the first of September & what is weird is it pretty much started overnight. I woke up on a Saturday morning and instantly knew that my left leg felt "different". The twitches are the worst in my left leg, so that causes my anxiety to be worse.

My right is 1/2 inch skinnier than the left, and that leg was twitching more and felt weird, which is exactly what caused me to measure it, 8.5 years ago. I was not happy when I measured the difference :-) I never noticed it my whole life, but if you look closely you could tell the difference. But even though it felt "weird" I reasoned that it was just as strong as the other leg, and must have always been like that. Normal asymmetry.

Almost nine years later, both calves gained 1/2 inch, but the right is still 1/2 inch skinnier :-)

Cheers,
Bill
A knowledge of the existence of something we cannot penetrate, of the manifestations of the profoundest reason and the most radiant beauty, which are only accessible to our reason in their most elementary forms--Albert Einstein
wjjw
Saint
Saint

Postby Yuliasir on February 26th, 2014, 11:16 pm

0.5 inch is normal physiological difference.
Yuliasir
Saint
Saint

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to The Support Group