Second EMG was good, but......

This forum is for posting your personal experiences with BFS: symptoms, doctor visits, fears, etc.

Please use this forum to post give and recieve encoragement and reassurance from sharing the trials and triumphs you have faced.

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

Second EMG was good, but......

Postby Christina91013 on February 25th, 2014, 4:05 pm

Went for my follow up EMG today. This was my four month out follow up exam and EMG and NCV were good. Nothing detected on EMG, but I found out that my reflexes are brisk and I have clonus. I am happy for the clean EMG but I feel as if today was a major setback. I have to follow up now in six months because I am still twitching a cramping and brisk,AND clonus. This is a total nightmare and I am so sick if it! Has anyone with BFS had a a similar situation to this? I was really hoping to close this door on my life but this nightmare just keeps coming back around.

Thanks,
Christina
Christina91013

Re: Second EMG was good, but......

Postby garym on February 25th, 2014, 9:15 pm

brisk reflexes are very common amoung the members on this board and is usually a result of anxiety. What did your doc say about the clonus? Either way, the normal emg is a great sign that nothing bad is at hand.

Take care,
Gary
garym

Postby Christina91013 on February 25th, 2014, 9:43 pm

Gary,

Thank you for the reply. Regarding the clonus, the neurologist mentioned its relevance to upper motor neuron signs and/ or possible spinal cord damage. He's having me meet with my primary neurologist (his partner) on Thursday to schedule an MRI. He also mentioned that it's possible that I was nervous / jumpy and that could have caused the reaction that I had too- I don't know if he said it just to make me fell better but I hope that's the case! I'll have her recheck my reflexes on Thursday and go from there. I will be sure to share my findings.

Take care everyone,
Christina
Christina91013

Postby TwitchyDoc on February 26th, 2014, 4:14 am

Brisk reflexes, if symmetric, are far less important than normal reflexes which are asymmetric. Generalized brisk reflexes usually signal overactive nervous system, typically when a person is nervous (by nature - not sure what the English word is) and under a high stress/anxiety, which is something you would definitely expect during the EMG.

As for the clonus, it does not neccessary indicate upper motor neuron pathology unless it is sustained. If you speak about ankle clonus, that is normal (again, if symmetric) in healthy people with brisk reflexes.
TwitchyDoc
Saint
Saint

Postby Christina91013 on February 26th, 2014, 7:15 pm

TwitchyDoc,
Thank you for the information. From what my neurologist said, and by what I observed, both reflexes and clonus were symmetrical. I know I was extremely nervous too; when I was having the NCS test done, the technician asked me to point my thumb toward the ceiling. When I tried, I was shaking so bad I couldn't even keep my thumb pointed upward. I felt silly and apologized. I will probably gain a little more insight tomorrow. I am going to meet with my primary neurologist and have her perform another clinical. Maybe my nerves will be more in check then.

Thanks again,
Christina
Christina91013

Postby Christina91013 on February 28th, 2014, 8:41 pm

Did a follow up yesterday with my primary neurologist and she rechecked my ankle reflexes which,thank goodness, were in normal limits. This was quite a change from what I saw on Tuesday that startled me so much. As it turns out, my ankle reflexes seemed to be affected by my anxiety which was off the charts. I could tell a significant difference from Thursday's visit versus Tuesday's visit. Anxious twitchers might want to keep this in mind when going for testing.

Take care,
Christina
Christina91013

Postby ShawnW on March 4th, 2014, 4:07 pm

Christina91013 wrote:Did a follow up yesterday with my primary neurologist and she rechecked my ankle reflexes which,thank goodness, were in normal limits. This was quite a change from what I saw on Tuesday that startled me so much. As it turns out, my ankle reflexes seemed to be affected by my anxiety which was off the charts. I could tell a significant difference from Thursday's visit versus Tuesday's visit. Anxious twitchers might want to keep this in mind when going for testing.

Take care,
Christina

Absolutely. Nonsustained clonus is fairly common amongst healthy but anxious people. My patellar reflexes are off the chart when I'm anxious. They settle down, when I settle down. I'm very glad your exam came out normal. Now concentrate on living life. Because life truly is good. Take Care.
ShawnW
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to Experiences with BFS