My BFS (I hope!) Story - comments/support appreciated!

General Topics

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

Re: My BFS (I hope!) Story - comments/support appreciated!

Postby sgupta on February 20th, 2014, 2:36 am

veryworried123, thanks, and I know we'll both get through it!

So had my doctor's appointment today (after an almost 4 hour waiting room wait, as they're severely understaffed or overbooked or something...).

Good news on most fronts I've been watching (blood pressure, heart health, cholesterol all improved), and my mind is eased about most of the supplements I take.

I told her about the increased twitching for a few days, and the one thing she saw in my blood test is my white blood cells due to allergy seem to be quite up, and she said she wouldn't even rule out allergy as a trigger. But she didn't seem overly concerned given the lack of weakness and coming and going of the twitches. No mention of doing any special tests at this point; I'm just to let her know if things change.

Also, I spoke to her about anxiety, and she's going to try me on a very mild anti-anxiety medication called Buspar. Almost no side effects for most people, it's not habit-forming (I can just quit anytime if I don't like it), and she said she took it herself during a stressful time and it really helped. So I figure it's worth a try - thanks for pushing me on here to talk to my doc about it. =) She also suggested if I still have anxiety issues to consider a therapist, which I will do, but I want to give this medication a chance first.
Last edited by sgupta on February 20th, 2014, 11:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sgupta
Interested
Interested

Postby edado69 on February 20th, 2014, 10:13 am

Keep strong. Your story is typical of BFS.

sgupta wrote:veryworried123, thanks, and I know we'll both get through it!

So had my doctor's appointment today (after an almost 4 hour waiting room weight, as they're severely understaffed or overbooked or something...).

Good news on most fronts I've been watching (blood pressure, heart health, cholesterol all improved), and my mind is eased about most of the supplements I take.

I told her about the increased twitching for a few days, and the one thing she saw in my blood test is my white blood cells due to allergy seem to be quite up, and she said she wouldn't even rule out allergy as a trigger. But she didn't seem overly concerned given the lack of weakness and coming and going of the twitches. No mention of doing any special tests at this point; I'm just to let her know if things change.

Also, I spoke to her about anxiety, and she's going to try me on a very mild anti-anxiety medication called Buspar. Almost no side effects for most people, it's not habit-forming (I can just quit anytime if I don't like it), and she said she took it herself during a stressful time and it really helped. So I figure it's worth a try - thanks for pushing me on here to talk to my doc about it. =) She also suggested if I still have anxiety issues to consider a therapist, which I will do, but I want to give this medication a chance first.
Fasciculating from the 25/03/2007 (as accurately as I can recall!...)
edado69
Saint
Saint

Postby sgupta on February 25th, 2014, 2:46 am

Thanks again for all the supportive comments!

Just wanted to update. Still feeling an occasional twitch, but it's died down a lot in the last few days.

Also, I think the anxiety medicine is making a subtle difference. I fortunately am still just as much myself, but I seem to be able to relax about things just a bit easier. I still obsess if I let myself, but it's just a tiny bit easier to turn my attention to something else, and even if I'm obsessing, I don't get quite as freaked out. Gonna evaluate over the next few weeks; the doctor may want to play with dosage as well, but these are positive steps.

Hope all my fellow forumites are doing well!
sgupta
Interested
Interested

Postby nrun90 on April 8th, 2014, 7:49 pm

Time is definitely on your side...the more weeks/months/years that pass without clinical weakness, the more reassuring. It's been almost 2 years for me and although the symptoms suck, the biggest obstacle is getting over the anxiety.
nrun90

Sponsor

Sponsor

Previous

Return to General Topics