Running and BFS

This forum is for posting your personal experiences with BFS: symptoms, doctor visits, fears, etc.

Please use this forum to post give and recieve encoragement and reassurance from sharing the trials and triumphs you have faced.

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

Running and BFS

Postby bobajojo on February 16th, 2014, 5:08 pm

So, I've been training for the Boston Marathon and I'm up to 40 miles per week. I am twitching my ass off! Here is what is going on:

* My tongue is twitching off the charts. Pops, flickers, flutters, and machine gun twitches on all sides.
* BOTH biceps are twitching hotspots for weeks. I can just sit and watch the both firing away.
* My abdomen is twitching way more than normal
* My left testicle has been firing nonstop since mid-November (3 months)

I've been running up to 17 miles at a time and I think its really fueling the twitching (I think). I found a doctor describe it this way:

* Long workouts cause lactic acid (or actually, lactate) to build up, causing lack of oxygen. Dr. Plancher adds, “This alters the way the muscles contract as well, possibly causing twitching.”
* Lactate is a good thing: It promotes fat burning by initiating a chain reaction that leads to a spike in growth hormone production. Growth hormone burns fat!
* So next time your muscles are twitching after exercise, remind yourself that this means you probably worked out hard enough to ignite some post-exercise fat burning. And that’s always a great result.

Its weird that my running has seemingly caused my upper arms to twitch relentlessly but I do pump my arms with every step so I guess that could explain it. Just wanted to post my experience. My neuro actually thought the running would decrease my twitching but I have not been that lucky.

Matt
Over 10 billion twitches since May 2011.
bobajojo
Saint
Saint

Re: Running and BFS

Postby veryworried123 on February 16th, 2014, 7:43 pm

I've been told by a top sports medicine dr that it's balance act between how much exercise to reduce anxiety and how much exercise will cause more twitches

I'll tore my meniscous 5 weeks ago and didnt do much in terms of exercise
It felt this was the same time my twitches decrease but who the *beep* knows anymore

I do find the more I worked out the more I twitch or so I think

I was also told to test your max cpk and then your normal cpk
Meaning you run to 90% you max hb or 18miles will more than do it and go get a cpk right away or a few hours after
Then do nothing for 3-4 days an take it again

This will help determine your exercise tolerance, any muscle dieases and your recovery time as well as your exercise regim

Thanks
veryworried123
Hero
Hero

Postby TwitchyDoc on February 19th, 2014, 7:22 am

Interesting, I have similar experience that running actually does not do much to my legs but my back and arms are twitching more.
TwitchyDoc
Saint
Saint

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to Experiences with BFS