Soft palate spasm/ twitch video

This forum is for posting your personal experiences with BFS: symptoms, doctor visits, fears, etc.

Please use this forum to post give and recieve encoragement and reassurance from sharing the trials and triumphs you have faced.

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

Soft palate spasm/ twitch video

Postby Smiley on February 5th, 2014, 6:49 am

Hopefully this link works:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WZfEtL-aINE

The soft palate goes up and down randomly, both arches have twitches, as does the uvula and tongue :/
Smiley
Interested
Interested

Re: Soft palate spasm/ twitch video

Postby ShawnW on February 5th, 2014, 7:49 pm

Working through this logically, if these are true fasciculation they would follow other symptoms.

With bulbar...you would first experience significant problems with speech/problems swallowing, or significant voice changes. These problems wouldn't come and go. You might wake up one morning unable to speak, or swallow...or you would have rapidly deteriorating symptoms. This would come first...before atrophy...certainly before fasiculations. Upon exam the atrophy and fasiculations would be more supportive of a diagnosis rather than diagnostic. It would follow significant loss of function.

Your speech symptoms closely match issues with anxiety...not the bad stuff. Fasiculations if that is what these are...can happen anywhere...hot spots can happen anywhere.

You need to set up an appointment with a neurologist, not because I believe anything significant is wrong with you but to help quell the anxious thinking.
ShawnW
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby Smiley on February 6th, 2014, 6:56 am

I've seen the private neurologist but can't afford the EMG so am waiting for my NHS appointment, which will be up to 3 months wait. It's not necessarily the twitching of the uvula that scares me as much as the 'spasms' of the whole soft palate going up and down. Is it like a tremor or myoclonic jerk? I don't have clicking sounds, and it's not rythymic like palatal myoclonus. It happens more when I open my mouth wide. If I only open my mouth a little, there are a few visible twitches, but not as much activity.
Smiley
Interested
Interested

Postby ShawnW on February 6th, 2014, 4:33 pm

The fact that you mentioned it to the neurologist and he wasn't impressed is very telling. That combined with no real deficits is very encouraging.
ShawnW
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby Smiley on February 8th, 2014, 4:37 pm

It is encouraging. But when I saw the neuro it was not happening as much. Now when I open my mouth my soft palate spasms up and down constantly, but not rythmically, the smaller twitches of the arches and the uvula happen sporadically too. It's really distressing having this as it's not just a little twitch, it's the whole back of the roof of my mouth moving up and down, it feels scary.

I don't think I mentioned this in my first post, but I'm clashing my upper and lower teeth together when I speak all the time. I feel like my teeth have changed position - they are more crowded than they were but I have all my wisdom teeth so it can't be that. I haved just finished breastfeeding - could it be hormones?
Smiley
Interested
Interested

Postby ShawnW on February 8th, 2014, 7:42 pm

Smiley wrote:It is encouraging. But when I saw the neuro it was not happening as much. Now when I open my mouth my soft palate spasms up and down constantly, but not rythmically, the smaller twitches of the arches and the uvula happen sporadically too. It's really distressing having this as it's not just a little twitch, it's the whole back of the roof of my mouth moving up and down, it feels scary.

I don't think I mentioned this in my first post, but I'm clashing my upper and lower teeth together when I speak all the time. I feel like my teeth have changed position - they are more crowded than they were but I have all my wisdom teeth so it can't be that. I haved just finished breastfeeding - could it be hormones?

What you are saying isn't ringing bells or sending up red flags to me. What I will say is this...anxiety is messed up. First, there is an event such as biting the side of your mouth. It scares you. Now you are paying attention. You have taken something that happens almost involuntary, and now you are consciously controlling it. When that happens, tension is brought into the equation and hyperawareness makes you think everything you normally do is abnormal. I know I was biting my cheeks several times a day, had "scalloped tongue", even bit a huge blood blister into my cheek. I got anxious and dry mouthed...heard me hiss an S...off to the races. Now I'm paying attention, and my speech got bad because I was always aware of something I did without thinking about it.

Because of your anxiety, you are noticing things your body has always done...and you just were not aware. Now that you notice you create additional symptoms. When we focus on a part of our body, not only our conscious control effects that system...but our mind can create symptoms.

You have anxiety...and its like water. If you don't give it form...it has no shape. But if you pour it into a vessel, it becomes something. You are pouring your anxiety into your health...and making yourself miserable.
ShawnW
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby Smiley on February 9th, 2014, 3:53 pm

So you think anxiety is literally making my palate jerk up and down? I'd believe that more about the twitching - but it just seems such an extreme and constant movement to be just caused by anxiety.

When I first started getting the hoarseness and the tight throat/ feeling like I was being strangled I would check my mouth area in the mirror a lot. I would consciously contract my soft palate from time to time, and flex the walls either side to check they were all working and there wasn't any obstruction there. I probably did these actions for around 3 weeks, once or twice a day. This then started a couple of weeks later, and has been constant now for about a month - with the soft palate contracting and relaxing, and is worse when I really stretch open my mouth - that's when the uvula begins to twitch too. Do you think this could be related at all?
Smiley
Interested
Interested

Postby ShawnW on February 9th, 2014, 8:08 pm

Psychogenic causes of palatal myoclonus have been reported in literature as have cases without a known cause. Sometimes they just happen. But, I'm not even sure that's what this is...as the mind has a crazy way of creating symptoms during anxiety. Is one side of your body not working? Are you on a vent in the ICU? Are you unable to speak? Any other real tangible symptoms to go along with this new symptom you just discovered in yourself?

Dealing with anxiety, I have seen my body create things I have read about....things I have studied...things I was so anxious about getting...then poof symptoms appear. Weird? No, that is what my mind does. Your mind is very very powerful and can create disease states. It can mimic scary stuff.

If I were a betting man...I would bet that this little party going on in your throat is a pseudo palatal myoclonus caused by anxiety. Did you know people can paralyze themselves...create a drop foot...go blind all because of psychological trauma? Obviously, all this is theory until you get it checked...but honestly I don't think anything ominous will come out from this.
ShawnW
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby Smiley on February 10th, 2014, 6:09 am

Thanks Shawn. I hope so. Why can't I just get good old fashioned IBS again instead of weird pseudo symptoms?!! It's very distracting having this happen. I will show my gp on Friday just to see what he thinks aswell. I wish this phase in my life would hurry up and move on!
Smiley
Interested
Interested

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to Experiences with BFS