Twitches upon waking - Question

Information about how to manage or reduce the severity of BFS symptoms

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

Twitches upon waking - Question

Postby Xina535 on January 19th, 2014, 5:11 am

Hi all, I tried searching different ways to see if this was already mentioned on here and didn't have any luck.

I've noticed a pattern with my twitching. When I wake up, my body is still. Very very little twitching, if any at all. After a few minutes, while I am becoming more awake and move my body more, there they go! One in my hand, then under my foot, then thigh...the twitches slowly become more active and like 'normal' again, which is everywhere, every few seconds.

It's almost like when I went to sleep, they did too, and when my brain wakes up, so do they.

Does this happen to anyone else? Could this be indicative of anything, like twitching due to anxiety? Or is this just typical BFS stuff?
Xina535
Saint
Saint

Re: Twitches upon waking - Question

Postby emmie.s on January 19th, 2014, 8:33 am

Very typical in my opinion. That just shows how it is directly related to your knowledge of their existence, and your resulting anxiety, if that makes any sense.
I had twitches that were quite noticeable in the morning after I stirred in bed for a few, and I realized it had to do with my metabolism and maybe my elevated bilirubin from fasting all night, or maybe low blood sugar, and so I ate something small right before bed and as soon as I woke up and that seemed to help.
emmie.s
Hero
Hero

Postby Xina535 on January 19th, 2014, 9:08 am

Thanks for reading and for your feedback, Emmie :) It does make sense. I wonder if I twitch at all while I am sleeping. I know some people have twitches that wake them up. This has never happened to me ('yet').

Hmm, eating right before bed and when waking up. May try that to see what happens. Can't hurt!
Xina535
Saint
Saint

Postby Meled on February 2nd, 2014, 4:24 am

The same thing for me !
Especially in calves and feet...I open my eyes and 10 minutes later, twitches begin :(
Xina, have you got hands twitches too ? I'm happy to read that because I have them and I'm very very worried (thenar, hypothenar, palm hand etc... what about you ?)
Meled

Postby Xina535 on February 2nd, 2014, 8:33 am

Yes, there is no place I don't or haven't twitched, except for tounge, ears, chest. Hands (esp. between the thumb and index finger, and index finger), butt, thighs, calves, under my feet, back, neck, face....

I think it's a good sign that your twitches start again soon after you wake up (like mine), as Emmie stated, it's probably mind/thought related.
Xina535
Saint
Saint

Postby RGB on February 2nd, 2014, 1:16 pm

I also don't twitch when I first wake.

I find it strange as well that I don't notice twitches when I am fully concentrating on something else. They are real trouser-moving-thumpers (!) normally so I find it hard to believe that I just don't notice them. It is almost as if my brain is too 'sleepy' when I first wake up and too 'busy' when It is fully 'occupied' with something else.

If true (and it isn't the most robust theory :) ) then it certainly points at a psychological rather than physical cause (for some).

RGB
My history....Jan '13: Widespread Twitches. May 13': Unremarkable Neuro Exam. Jul '13: Clean EMG. Oct '13: BFS Diagnosis Today's Date: Twitching and Healthy!
RGB
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby leaflea on February 2nd, 2014, 2:54 pm

Pretty sure mine happen in my sleep. Often have more of the electrical or buzzing sensations too as I wake up with them. I don't think they wake me, but there is no lag from waking to noticing them.
Matthew 6:27 Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to his life?
leaflea
Saint
Saint

Postby SecretAgentMan on February 5th, 2014, 2:28 pm

When the lights go out and our eyes are no longer receiving light the pineal gland pumps serotonin, a sleep regulating hormone, into the blood stream. As the brainwaves slow from the waking beta state and slowly progress through the slower levels of alpha, theta, and finally transition into delta our bodies go into a state of sleep paralysis. Metabolism and bodily functions slow down. This is the normal process for a restful and relaxing sleep cycle, although several disorders and other biological processes can interfere with various aspects of it.

As BFS is primarily related to the body's intolerance of anxiety itself, it stands to reason that in an ultra-relaxed state of delta sleep coupled with sleep paralysis the twitching and other neurological symptoms would reduce to a minimum. This is also why I believe active pursuit of meditation and breathing exercises can be so powerful in reducing BFS symptoms because you are able to bring relaxation and slower brain wave states into your conscious waking life, thus lowering your exposure to or creation of anxiety.

On another note I will also add that in my own personal experience I had developed a variety of food intolerance issues that contributed to my BFS. It was not until later when I realized this correlation that I noticed my symptoms were worse on nights where I ate late meals or meals that contained inflammatory foods. I also believe I was better in the mornings because it was generally the longest period of time I would go in between meals, which often contained trigger foods I was unaware of at the time.
If your mind is your own worst enemy, why not make friends with it and turn it into your greatest ally? Mental discipline is achievable and there is help available. Learn what works for you, practice, and change your life for the better.
SecretAgentMan
Saint
Saint

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to Symptom Management