Exercise Intolerance

Information about how to manage or reduce the severity of BFS symptoms

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

Exercise Intolerance

Postby twitchfellow on January 12th, 2014, 7:07 pm

Anybody have some tips on how to cope with exercise intolerance? Like, when it might be best to exercise during the day, or meds/supplements one can take, in order to boost endurance and minimize post-exercise exhaustion? Because of BFS, I can swim maybe 30 minutes and walk 50 at a stretch, but it feels like a marathon and I need a long time to recover.
twitchfellow

Re: Exercise Intolerance

Postby veryworried123 on January 12th, 2014, 8:05 pm

Did you by any chance check your cpk
veryworried123
Hero
Hero

Postby trajon_34 on January 19th, 2014, 5:26 am

To be honest with you I just kept pushing through and things eventually started to get better. You can check my very first post for more info on what I was experiencing.
trajon_34
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby muppetdog on January 19th, 2014, 1:53 pm

It's a slow balancing act between doing enough to build up and feel better, and not doing too much to where you accidentally fatigue yourself for the rest of the day, or week and end up on the couch.

You have to learn the point where you can exercise and still have a normal day, then build slowly on that.

I am still getting there.
muppetdog
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby leaflea on February 3rd, 2014, 8:53 pm

Does anyone with BFS NOT have exercise intolerance??? Because I don't think I do. I exercise 30-45 minutes cardio several times per week and think I can do as much as ever. I used to do more resistance training/lifting, but stopped for about a year. I started again a few weeks ago and was SHOCKED how much strength I've lost but am putting it down to "if you don't use it, you lose it." Not panicking about weakness (yet) though it was a surprise. I think I've already regained some strength with relatively little effort. Need to keep at it.
Matthew 6:27 Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to his life?
leaflea
Saint
Saint

Postby BFSBurger on February 4th, 2014, 12:06 am

twitchfellow wrote:Anybody have some tips on how to cope with exercise intolerance? Like, when it might be best to exercise during the day, or meds/supplements one can take, in order to boost endurance and minimize post-exercise exhaustion? Because of BFS, I can swim maybe 30 minutes and walk 50 at a stretch, but it feels like a marathon and I need a long time to recover.

I had a lot of help by taking creatine on days i would exercise. A couple other guys here reported the same. For some reason it helps. Whatever you do, avoid soy based protein shakes, and glutamine. For some here, they make things worse. Its more important that you chill out a bit and let your body rest. Stop pushing things as hard as you have in the past. You're going to have to revert to the pink dumbbells and granny workouts for awhile. The most important thing is to keep at them, after you have fully rested. At my worst, I had to wait 3-4 days before I fully recovered. Don't overdo it. Let the 3-4 days pass, and then repeat the light, full body workout. There is some evidence that this syndrome is the result of beating the sh*t out of your adrenals and overtaxing your body on multiple levels for too long. Worst thing you can do is push it in the gym. Listen to your body and rest.
How I resolved my BFS within 1 year of onset:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=19128
BFSBurger
Saint
Saint

Postby muppetdog on February 6th, 2014, 10:50 am

muppetdog
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Sponsor