How does BFS and anxiety affect everyone's jobs?

This forum is for posting your personal experiences with BFS: symptoms, doctor visits, fears, etc.

Please use this forum to post give and recieve encoragement and reassurance from sharing the trials and triumphs you have faced.

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

Re: How does BFS and anxiety affect everyone's jobs?

Postby jebmd on February 2nd, 2014, 10:49 am

Oh also,
I have looked into visualization and meditation and yoga and have started to do this during the evening-not consistent about it yet but still working on it.
J
jebmd

Postby SecretAgentMan on February 2nd, 2014, 12:12 pm

That is good to hear. It sounds like you are on the right track. I realize you are a physician in the healthcare biz, but I will throw this out there anyway for your consideration. Do with this what you will...

It was fairly early on in my downward spiral of having developed BFS and the resulting panicked response when I came to the realization that I was not really getting the answers I wanted. When you develop a health condition you really want to know what caused it and how you can treat it, correct? I had appointments with my GP, a neurologist, and even had blood work and a brain CT scan. All the poking, prodding, and testing was being used to rule things out. It finally got to the point where they told me all the things I didn't have and it seemed they were content to send me on my way with a prescription for some drug to try to help me cope with the symptoms. I wanted answers and not a list of things I didn't have. I wasn't content with this at all and it bothered me that they seemed to be. OK, great, I'm not dying or leading towards disability... Then what do I have, why did I develop it, and how to I treat it, and correct it?? That's what I really wanted.

I really didn't know what to do or where to go from there. I was unhappy, but what was I going to do? It was actually through the suggestion of my mom that another option was revealed, although honestly at the time I wasn't too keen on it. She suggested I try to see a holistic doctor as she had some friends who had been helped. I was biased as society conditions us to be. I thought it would be a waste of time, money, and effort. I really didn't know what else to do and I wanted to get my mom off my back so I decided to go through with finding one and making an appointment. This ended up being the turning point in my illness and really for the direction of my life as well (for different reasons). I opened my mind to something I had previously been closed minded to. It was a gradual process but the success I experienced on a continual basis fueled the process and kept me coming back.

I won't go into the long details here of my story because I could probably write a sizable book if I really wanted to. I will just say that there is a method to what you may have been conditioned to believe is madness. My brother is a surgeon and I know how he feels about things like acupuncture and some of the holistic techniques. He has told me about how he and his fellow med students at U of M used to laugh at some of this stuff with their professors. It's sad really... Anyway, seeing as how you have had IBS I would suspect you to be a strong candidate for having a similar set of circumstances for your development of BFS as I did. Please consider looking into Leaky Gut Syndrome if you have not already. LGS was completely foreign to my GP and neuro but the holistic doc knew all about it and had successfully treated several people for it already. It's amazing how many chronic health conditions can develop due to an improperly balanced digestive system. Our immune and nervous systems are very much dependent on a healthy gut. LGS is gaining in the main stream more and more every year, but it still has a long way to go. Please consider looking into it. No promises it is a key contributor for you, but based on what I'm hearing I'd bet in your case it is. It is very treatable and has the potential to bring you great relief, so I hope you do look into it.

Anyway, I've gone on long enough. Hang in there and good luck! Also, let me know if you have any questions.
If your mind is your own worst enemy, why not make friends with it and turn it into your greatest ally? Mental discipline is achievable and there is help available. Learn what works for you, practice, and change your life for the better.
SecretAgentMan
Saint
Saint

Postby jebmd on February 2nd, 2014, 2:56 pm

SecretAgentMan,
What do surgeons know anyway-they really are just glorified plumbers-an important set of skills but they do not handle complex medical cases well. I won't deny my medical training and its biases-they are definitely there and I have patients who have had very bad reactions to "natural remedies"-just because it's natural doesn't mean it's safe-digitalis and penicillins are both plants after all and if used properly are important drugs but overdoses can certainly harm.
I am different from you in that the negative test results provided reassurance and allowed me to cope with symptoms better (especially the MRI and the EMG). My neurologist did specifically use the term benign fasciculations and did go through the poor effect of current drugs available for treatment. The key, I think we all agree is to manage anxiety day to day. Hence the CBT. I'll look into your " leaky gut syndrome" suggestion as well. One of my patients has recommended an acupuncturist who is not far from my home and I am considering this too-I know lots of people, patients and friends that have used this modality with benefit so I am not at all skeptical about it-and have recommended it on occasion. I have prescriptions from my GP for massage therapy, acupuncture and psychotherapy when I am ready to use them.
Thanks again,
J
jebmd

Postby SecretAgentMan on February 2nd, 2014, 4:02 pm

I like your attitude and sense of humor J. :) Acupuncture (or acupressure actually, since that's what my doc mostly uses) turned out to be a great help to me.
If your mind is your own worst enemy, why not make friends with it and turn it into your greatest ally? Mental discipline is achievable and there is help available. Learn what works for you, practice, and change your life for the better.
SecretAgentMan
Saint
Saint

Postby leaflea on February 2nd, 2014, 6:12 pm

Secret Agent Man - Is that the University of Minnesota? Do you happen to live in MN? If so, may I have the name of your homeopath?
Matthew 6:27 Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to his life?
leaflea
Saint
Saint

Postby SecretAgentMan on February 2nd, 2014, 6:40 pm

Sorry leaflea, he went to the University of Michigan in Ann Arbor and we live in the Dayton, Ohio area now. My wife is from MN just north of the twin cities and we were just there a few weeks ago visiting her family. Unfortunately though I do not know of any doctors in the area. Her mom actually goes to see ours down here when she makes trips in to visit. If I ever do find out about a good one up there to recommend I will be sure to let you know. Sorry I can't be more help.
SecretAgentMan
Saint
Saint

Sponsor

Sponsor

Previous

Return to Experiences with BFS