Muscle Spasticity

This forum is for posting your personal experiences with BFS: symptoms, doctor visits, fears, etc.

Please use this forum to post give and recieve encoragement and reassurance from sharing the trials and triumphs you have faced.

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

Muscle Spasticity

Postby anxietyisinme on January 26th, 2014, 2:14 pm

I've been self-checking for muscle spasticity, not sure exactly how it presents itself so not sure if I have it. I've been poking and prodding my forearm muscles in different spots all over. I can feel the muscle inside, but it's nothing hard as when I flex it. I've read that muscle spasticity can interfere with walking, talking and movement, so maybe it's a real clinical thing and I don't have it? It's just when I relax my bicep muscle and poke and prod, it feels like jelly and then when I flex it, I feel the muscle, but my forearm muscles I can definitely feel inside of there at rest when I poke at different spots. Maybe it's because my forearms are rather small? What do you guys think? Thanks in advance.
anxietyisinme
Interested
Interested

Re: Muscle Spasticity

Postby MarioMangler on January 26th, 2014, 3:59 pm

What do I think? I think you should stop self-checking for muscle spasticity.

Self testing and self checking is the first thing that has to stop if you are serious about ever beating BFS.
BFS FAQ:
1. No, that's not bulbar
2. No, the location doesn't matter
3. Yes, we have all had that symptom
4. No, you're not the exception
5. No, that's not ominous
6. No, you don't need an EMG
7. Yes, you will be fine
MarioMangler
Saint
Saint

Postby ShawnW on January 26th, 2014, 4:07 pm

MarioMangler wrote:What do I think? I think you should stop self-checking for muscle spasticity.

Self testing and self checking is the first thing that has to stop if you are serious about ever beating BFS.

Agreed. If you believe it needs to be checked, go to a physician trained to check these sorts of things.
ShawnW
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby anxietyisinme on January 26th, 2014, 4:22 pm

I agree, I need to stop doing all the self-testing and self-checking. It's just that I am new to this and only been twitching a little over a month, so I do these things to make sure I am okay. I've been to a neurologist, but I don't remember him feeling my muscles or anything like that.
anxietyisinme
Interested
Interested

Postby Yuliasir on January 26th, 2014, 4:38 pm

you should not test yourself fro spasticity becasue if it will come, you wouild not miss it: it is severe spasm, weird position of the limb affected, inability to flex a muscle. have you ever seen a person with child paralysis? how their hands, arms, legs look like? here is spasticity, and it is often very painful.
Yuliasir
Saint
Saint

Postby ShawnW on January 26th, 2014, 4:58 pm

anxietyisinme wrote:I agree, I need to stop doing all the self-testing and self-checking. It's just that I am new to this and only been twitching a little over a month, so I do these things to make sure I am okay. I've been to a neurologist, but I don't remember him feeling my muscles or anything like that.

Like Yulia said, a neurologist would diagnose spasticity from the street. Contorted cramping...probably coupled with 4+ reflexes with clonus. If your reflexes are normal, you have no obvious ability to walk or move, no off the charts cramping...you are not spastic.

With neurologists, many are very good at what they do. They have examined you without examining you. Staff didn't notice any gait abnormalities. When you shook hands, grip was solid. Your speech is good answering questions. Your memory is intact. By the time they get your history, they often know how detailed in the physical they will need to be. You won't see alot of wasted motions with neurologists. You won't see them normally give a healthy young anxious patient a 45 minute neuro history and exam because it isn't warranted.

You can walk on your heels, toes, speech normal, strength normal, reflexes normal...no need to go any further most of the time. A good neuro can assess that in 5 minutes or less.

Our energies can be better spent. Worrying and obsessing about rare presentations of very rare disorders in rare age groups is like buying a lottery ticket and spending like you have already won it.

I understand you are nervous. Trust me, I totally get it. I get the same way...it's why when we feel ok we are able to support each other and talk some sense into each other. Today is a good day for me...so I can be that voice of reason to you today. Others have been the voice of reason in my life when I can't think rationally due to anxiety.

Take Care.
ShawnW
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby anxietyisinme on January 26th, 2014, 5:15 pm

My knee reflexes were a little brisk, but the neurologist didn't seem very concerned with it and attributed it to anxiety/nervousness.
anxietyisinme
Interested
Interested

Postby ShawnW on January 26th, 2014, 5:55 pm

anxietyisinme wrote:My knee reflexes were a little brisk, but the neurologist didn't seem very concerned with it and attributed it to anxiety/nervousness.

1+ through 3+ (brisk) reflexes are considered normal. In isolation, the only reflexes which warrant concern are 4+ which means you have clonus...meaning with quick ankle flexion the calf will begin contracting and moving the foot, or the leg after a patellar reflex will continue to contract. 4+ with babinski sign lets you know there is an upper motor neuron lesion. Brisk reflexes are common in the anxious population...don't lose sleep over it.
ShawnW
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby anxietyisinme on January 26th, 2014, 7:20 pm

What do you mean the leg after a patellar reflex will continue to contract?
anxietyisinme
Interested
Interested

Postby ShawnW on January 26th, 2014, 8:09 pm

anxietyisinme wrote:What do you mean the leg after a patellar reflex will continue to contract?

Instead of kicking once, the person will continue to kick multiple times. I'm not talking about your leg swinging after patellar tap...but literally multiple kicking contractions. Trust me, you don't have it...can't miss it. And certainly your neurologist wouldn't have missed it.

Your neurologist wasn't concerned because your exam wasn't concerning. The better question is why you are unable to take that reassurance.
ShawnW
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby anxietyisinme on January 26th, 2014, 8:30 pm

I can't remember exactly, but my leg kind of kicked out, it seemed ratchety-like, not smooth. It seemed to me like it might have went out, then a little more before the whole action was over. II hope that's not what you're describing to me! I knew the reflex didn't seem right to me when he did it, but the neurologist didn't seem concerned, attributed it to worry, and commented that my other reflexes were just fine.
anxietyisinme
Interested
Interested

Postby ShawnW on January 26th, 2014, 8:39 pm

anxietyisinme wrote:I can't remember exactly, but my leg kind of kicked out, it seemed ratchety-like, not smooth. It seemed to me like it might have went out, then a little more before the whole action was over. II hope that's not what you're describing to me! I knew the reflex didn't seem right to me when he did it, but the neurologist didn't seem concerned, attributed it to worry, and commented that my other reflexes were just fine.

Do you think neurologists keep their medical licenses and avoid lawsuits by ignoring clonus during a reflex exam? Think about that a bit. Docs want to continue practicing and they do not want their insurance rates to go up. Why on this green earth would a trained neurologist ignore true clonus...something a medical student can pick up on exam? True clonus gets worked up...every time.
ShawnW
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby anxietyisinme on January 26th, 2014, 8:48 pm

You're right and that's what I keep trying to tell myself. If he was concerned even the least bit I suppose he would have recommended I have the EMG done which he explicitly commented he wasn't going to have me do one. I know he has at least one *** patient which he mentioned briefly so I suppose he knows what he's doing and what to look for. Thanks Shawn.
anxietyisinme
Interested
Interested

Postby ShawnW on January 26th, 2014, 9:16 pm

anxietyisinme wrote:You're right and that's what I keep trying to tell myself. If he was concerned even the least bit I suppose he would have recommended I have the EMG done which he explicitly commented he wasn't going to have me do one. I know he has at least one *** patient which he mentioned briefly so I suppose he knows what he's doing and what to look for. Thanks Shawn.

You are welcome. I understand freaking out very well. I appreciated other peoples patience with me. One last nugget...the neurologist was soooo unconcerned he couldn't even validate an EMG, which most likely he makes money off of. Not really a good business model to not test concerning signs. BTW, how old are you?

Rest easy tonight.
ShawnW
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby anxietyisinme on January 26th, 2014, 9:29 pm

I'm a 26 year old male. Soon to be 27 in Feb. You can find my first post close to the top of the support group section. It describes my situation and I wouldn't mind if you read and commented on it :)
anxietyisinme
Interested
Interested

Sponsor

Sponsor

Next

Return to Experiences with BFS