New Twitcher Needs some support

This forum is for posting your personal experiences with BFS: symptoms, doctor visits, fears, etc.

Please use this forum to post give and recieve encoragement and reassurance from sharing the trials and triumphs you have faced.

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

New Twitcher Needs some support

Postby ShawnW on January 13th, 2014, 6:15 pm

Hello,

My name is Shawn. I am 40 y/o, and have twitched a little all my life. But, that recently changed into full out twitching for about 2 weeks. I want to first say thank you to all those wonderful souls who spend their time here calming peoples fears. For that let me say thank you. I was fortunate that I found your site very early into my twitching. But, not before the *** research had me scared out of my mind.

Your site has answered most of my questions. I would love to use this thread to answer my last remaining questions, to give me feedback on what I believe I know about my symptoms, and any support you may give. I would like to pull up this thread anytime I'm wanting to lose my mind over these symptoms or a new symptom.

Let me go back a bit. At 23 I was diagnosed with panic disorder, which eventually subsided to more of a generalized anxiety disorder over the years. I drank and drugged it away for years, until I found myself in treatment...I'm 6 years sober now...work with addicts for a living. I don't use meds for anxiety because drugs and me don't do well together...even the "non addictive" ones. Any mood altering chemical for me is not good. So, I am active in my spirituality, have a strong relationship with recovering people and God...and that helps a lot. About a year ago, I had a real health scare when the dermatologist took a mole off of me that she thought looked like melanoma. It turned out to be benign but it has started fierce health anxieties. I have been suffering from symptom after symptom since...belly cramps, loose stool, constipation, chest pain, feelings that food is stuck in my esophagus, increased reflux, insomnia, depression, irritability, feelings of about to pass out...etc and so on.

Then one day a couple weeks ago, my finger started twitching. I blew it off the first day. The second day I freaked. My finger was just sitting there wagging like a tail on a dog and I about lost it. I of course did all the scary research, then found your site. I didn't know if I had what you all have because I didn't have twitching anywhere else. Then the feet started to go...with pain...then the right elbow, the butt, and the legs. I was then pretty sure I had BFS, and I was so relieved to hear all your stories. Again, thank you. But, I do have some additional questions...if you have experienced some of this let me know.

I have been having pain of my hands, feet and even my jaws. I have no weakness anywhere. A neurologist friend of mine gave me a quick exam...said I was ok. He wasn't concerned. My muscles do feel fatigued. I have a history of laryngopharygeal reflux, so occasionally my voice will get course and resolve...have had this for awhile now. I have assumed that my constant face, and hand testing has caused them to feel tired and painful, but of course I'm scared. My jaws often hurt.

Also, I have very dry mouth...I have assumed was from the meds I take and anxiety (metoprolol and lansoprazole)...but now of course everything is in doubt. With the dry mouth, I get some sticking of certain foods to the back of my tongue...which I assumed was starchy foods with a dry mouth kind of deal...but of course now that is in doubt. Been getting that for a few weeks.

So, anyone who has some comments, advice, support etc about the hand, jaw, feet pain...also the food sticking stuff...that would be great. Thanks.
ShawnW
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Re: New Twitcher Needs some support

Postby bobajojo on January 13th, 2014, 8:24 pm

Shawn,

After being on this site for nearly 3 years, it becomes very easy to pick out a classic case of BFS. And you're definitely one. I am 41 years old myself and had panic attacks all throughout my 20s. When BFS started for me, I also had lots of muscle pain. No more though, I'm all twitching. Don't spend one minute worrying about the dry mouth thing. There are thousands of benign causes of that. Feel free to pm me with any questions if you'd like.

-Matt
Over 10 billion twitches since May 2011.
bobajojo
Saint
Saint

Postby ShawnW on January 13th, 2014, 8:38 pm

Matt, thanks so much for your post. I wasn't for sure if I would get a response for days. I read some of your posts early in my research and they were a big help to me. You long timers don't know what this means to some of us anxious sufferers.
ShawnW
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby 6t5frlane on January 14th, 2014, 8:52 am

I'm 8 years in and I'm watching my left middle finger " Wag like a dog right now " Calm down, stay with us on the forum and in time you will relax 8)
6t5frlane
Hero
Hero

Postby ShawnW on January 14th, 2014, 3:17 pm

Thanks for the support 6t
ShawnW
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby ShawnW on January 18th, 2014, 3:34 pm

I'm having a bad day. My right shoulder feels like I have been doing military presses, yet I haven't really done anything strenuous. Just really fatigued in the right shoulder, and freaking out a bit. Any support would be welcomed.
ShawnW
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby leaflea on January 19th, 2014, 1:00 am

Shawn, This sounds so very related to anxiety. I am unclear exactly what the relationship is, but bfs seems like a close cousin to anxiety. Not sure if it is chicken or egg that comes first, but they go together. You sound just exactly like 98% of us. I did not see if you have seen your doctor yet, but if you haven't, I think it is a good idea for the reassurance. Since my neuro exam a little over a week ago, my twitches are down 90% and this also coincides with taking magnesium more than a month and just starting strong B12 supplements. So, I am not certain what is helping, but it might just be having the reassurance that it is benign from a neurologist whose opinion I trust. Prior to that appointment I had near breakdowns on a daily basis. I was hyper-aware of every little happening in my body and my mind/eyes was starting to play tricks on me. I also advise to read only this board and not google search anything related to your symptoms. I swear, that dang google has caused me more suffering than any twitching ever could. Good Luck!
Matthew 6:27 Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to his life?
leaflea
Saint
Saint

Postby ShawnW on January 19th, 2014, 4:56 am

leaflea wrote:Shawn, This sounds so very related to anxiety. I am unclear exactly what the relationship is, but bfs seems like a close cousin to anxiety. Not sure if it is chicken or egg that comes first, but they go together. You sound just exactly like 98% of us. I did not see if you have seen your doctor yet, but if you haven't, I think it is a good idea for the reassurance. Since my neuro exam a little over a week ago, my twitches are down 90% and this also coincides with taking magnesium more than a month and just starting strong B12 supplements. So, I am not certain what is helping, but it might just be having the reassurance that it is benign from a neurologist whose opinion I trust. Prior to that appointment I had near breakdowns on a daily basis. I was hyper-aware of every little happening in my body and my mind/eyes was starting to play tricks on me. I also advise to read only this board and not google search anything related to your symptoms. I swear, that dang google has caused me more suffering than any twitching ever could. Good Luck!

Thanks Leaf...and I love the quote :)
ShawnW
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby ShawnW on January 22nd, 2014, 5:05 am

Just wanted to give you all an update. The twitching has gone down quite a bit. But, still aching in my hands and right shoulder. So, I went for a second opinion to a new neurologist. This neurologist I think knew why I was there from moment one. He opened up with "I have diagnosed myself with *** 15 times during my career"..."but that doesn't say anything about my diagnostic skills". He chuckled and I chucked...great way to break the ice.

He examined me, and stated what all the other neurologists said, fasiculations with a clean clinical are not ***. But, he did believe I had either a disc issue in my neck or bilateral carpal tunnel.

I think the twitching in my hand which is now gone, got me looking and examining myself. I think I strained myself with over testing and aggravated some underlying medical stuff. At least that is what I believe today.

MRI and EMG are being conducted after they clear insurance. So, Lord willing, I should have some more answers following those tests.

I appreciate all the support.
ShawnW
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby leaflea on January 23rd, 2014, 8:51 pm

Thanks for the update! Please let us know after your tests. My hand/thenar muscle has been twitching a lot today after a brief, few days, remission of symptoms. It gets achy and I really don't even want to look at it. I am doing much, much better after clean clinical two weeks ago, clean EMG six weeks ago. Have now started seeing a therapist for cognitive behavioral therapy. Have only gone through history at this point after two weeks but excited to get results and apply this thinking to all areas of my life. My best friend just today learned she has breast cancer mets/spread to spine after 15 year remission. I need to be healthy and be there for her. Best thing (or a good thing anyway) for this is to get our minds off of ourselves and focus on doing good for the poor people we love who really do have a life-threatening illness.
leaflea
Saint
Saint

Postby ShawnW on January 24th, 2014, 6:22 am

leaflea wrote:Thanks for the update! Please let us know after your tests. My hand/thenar muscle has been twitching a lot today after a brief, few days, remission of symptoms. It gets achy and I really don't even want to look at it. I am doing much, much better after clean clinical two weeks ago, clean EMG six weeks ago. Have now started seeing a therapist for cognitive behavioral therapy. Have only gone through history at this point after two weeks but excited to get results and apply this thinking to all areas of my life. My best friend just today learned she has breast cancer mets/spread to spine after 15 year remission. I need to be healthy and be there for her. Best thing (or a good thing anyway) for this is to get our minds off of ourselves and focus on doing good for the poor people we love who really do have a life-threatening illness.

It's so hard to be of service to mankind, to love people and to be interested and involved when worrying about our health. I find that to be one of the more distressing parts of health worrying. It robs us of life. It robs us of effectiveness and the ability to love and serve others. It turns our thoughts inward and closes us off in a little paranoid world of our own. I'm so sick of living like that.

It's good that you wish for your friend to have a healthy rock of a friend to lean on during this time of real health distress. In the world of recovery they have a saying...if nothing changes...nothing changes. So, you going to therapy is a great thing...CBT is supposed to help.
ShawnW
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby leaflea on January 24th, 2014, 11:01 am

I am already in a MUCH better place than I was 1 and 2 months ago. Having the clean EMG and neuro exam helped so much. But this is not my first rodeo with a health scare. Not my first, but definitely my worst. It is such a huge waste of time and I am not going to let it happen again. Even if I do end up with a life-threatening illness, I need to cope better than this. My friend with the breast cancer is an inspiration. However, some of my Health Anxiety started with her diagnosis 15 years ago at the age of 32. It seemed she didn't worry at all, while I did all kinds of research and in the end, knew just a little too much. I feel like I carried her anxiety for her while she did not have a care in the world. And what good did it do? She had 15 perfectly healthy years being able to see her 1 and 2 year old to now be 16 and 17. She still may have many more years with the treatments available today. I do not want to waste one more perfecly good minute worrying about things utterly beyond my control. Enough.
leaflea
Saint
Saint

Postby ShawnW on January 28th, 2014, 1:49 pm

Just wanted to give an update.

Nerve conduction and EMG...the word the neurologist said was "perfect".

I have had twitching...hot place between thumb and finger but almost everywhere...perceived leg weakness...perceived arm weakness....cramping of hands...hyperreflexia, cramping of feet...problems swallowing, occasional thick tongue...too much saliva...not enough saliva and so on.

The neurologist didn't even want a follow up exam.

Just thought I would update. Hopefully that helps someone get some sleep tonight besides myself.
ShawnW
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby leaflea on January 29th, 2014, 10:39 pm

Hooray Shawn! So happy for you. It is helpful because I have many of your symptoms (as do most of us here). Sleep well and check in once in a while.
leaflea
Saint
Saint

Postby ShawnW on January 30th, 2014, 5:18 pm

leaflea wrote:Hooray Shawn! So happy for you. It is helpful because I have many of your symptoms (as do most of us here). Sleep well and check in once in a while.

Will do.
ShawnW
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Sponsor

Sponsor

Next

Return to Experiences with BFS