Does this look like muscle wasting on my hand??

Post your questions about BFS here

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

Does this look like muscle wasting on my hand??

Postby Twitchy82 on January 14th, 2014, 5:56 pm

Hi everyone! I have been feeling better with my twitching but recently noticed something weird that happens to my hand. When i look at my hand without doing anything with it, it looks plump and normal. However, when I flex mu palm back or move my pinky finger to the side, the muscle on the side of my hand tenses up and looks funny, like an involuntary movement. This mainly happens in my left hand although with more effort it also happens on my right. I have some pictures so u can see and please tell me what u think! I had a clean emg 4 months ago and have not noticed any real weakness but my hand looks weird and it drives me crazy! Below are 5 pictures where u can see my hand normal and others where u can se when I move my pinky or flex it back.

http://postimg.org/image/iomdm9b75/

http://postimg.org/image/gszlb3mcx/

http://postimg.org/image/m34k2e6lt/

http://postimg.org/image/fo5j5pzw1/

http://postimg.org/image/p65a5rlkh/
Twitchy82

Re: Does this look like muscle wasting on my hand??

Postby leaflea on January 14th, 2014, 10:28 pm

I have the exact same thing on both hands! Also clean EMG and clinical. Now have a burning in my thenar (burning is new today) and what looks like atrophy with certain flexes. Showed it to a neuro just last Wednesday who has lots of experience with ALS who said "there is no atrophy" there. Kind of reassuring just to see yours too.
Matthew 6:27 Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to his life?
leaflea
Saint
Saint

Postby veryworried123 on January 14th, 2014, 10:54 pm

That's off no concern
veryworried123
Hero
Hero

Postby Yuliasir on January 14th, 2014, 11:48 pm

No it does not
Yuliasir
Saint
Saint

Postby Twitchy82 on January 15th, 2014, 7:07 am

i have never seen a hand with atrophy so I wouldnt know but its sl weir that mine does this! Your sure this looks normal? Thanks for all the replys!
Twitchy82

Postby veryworried123 on January 15th, 2014, 10:01 am

i think so...actually i showed it to someone else and he said "oh i have that too"
veryworried123
Hero
Hero

Postby DoubleD on January 15th, 2014, 10:51 am

I have seen a hand with atrophy. you do not. :)

DD
" By this all men will know that you are my diciples, if you love one another." John 13:35

10 years BFS
24/7 twitches all over
Cramps, tingling, buzzing, and a host of other weird things
Until you own your BFS, you will never disown als
DoubleD
Saint
Saint

Postby aztwitchy on January 15th, 2014, 7:41 pm

not at all....fear not
"Health is a state of complete physical, mental and social well-being, and not merely the absence of disease or infirmity." ~World Health Organization, 1948
aztwitchy
Hero
Hero

Postby RGB on January 16th, 2014, 8:09 am

The only wasting going on here is of my time :)

And if that sounds rude (sorry) then the alternative answer is that this looks entirely normal to me.

RGB
My history....Jan '13: Widespread Twitches. May 13': Unremarkable Neuro Exam. Jul '13: Clean EMG. Oct '13: BFS Diagnosis Today's Date: Twitching and Healthy!
RGB
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby emmie.s on January 16th, 2014, 9:41 am

When I move my pinky towards my thumb and pinch/flex it does the same thing on both hands. I think its muscle definition, not wasting! 100% normal.
emmie.s
Hero
Hero

Postby Twitchy82 on January 21st, 2014, 11:56 am

Thank u all for your kind replys! My twitching started 4 months ago and have already had a clean EMG of my hands when twitching started. Now my twitching has gone almost 90% down but just thinking of my hand is driving me crazy. It doesnt only do what I showed in the picture but also when I bend my hand back so that it is perpendicular to my arm and felx my fingers back the side of my hand (pinky side) starts twitching or contracting a little, this also happens when I make a soft fist with my fingers straight (not tucked in). It seems as if the muscles on the side of my hand are very sensitive to any type of movement that requires extra strength. This happens on both hands but it is much more noticeable my left non dominant hand. Does this happen to anyone else!? I look at it all day and today i had like 10 thumpper twitches on that same spot!

I really dont want to go back to the doctor unless it is completly necessary!
Twitchy82

Postby Twitchy82 on January 21st, 2014, 11:58 am

Btw I dont have any weakness I test myself all day pressing a little butterfly clip.
Twitchy82

Postby Twitchy82 on January 21st, 2014, 1:48 pm

Also when I bend my tumb back I get some uneveness on my palm as u can see in the pic:

http://postimg.org/image/cyaz9hoyl/

http://postimg.org/image/jaq4jbs0t/

As u can see its like two bumps and a long linear indent below them.
Twitchy82

Postby Yuliasir on January 22nd, 2014, 3:58 am

Nope again.
I just have seen in one of the blogs I read a photo on which the blog keeper holds a huge bismuth crystal to demonstrate it (beautiful thing by the way), and she has about the same ripples under the skin of thenar as you have. As far as i can trace from her blog, she never complains about any neuro-like symptoms and has minus zero concern about her thenars of course.

which on my point od view means you consider normal subcutaneous fat distribution as muscle rippes. Which is not very productive I think :)

Do not forget that between your muscles and the skin there is quite a complicated structure of derma (inner skin) with its several tissues involved (fatty cells, collagene fibers, etc.), so mostly you can see only subcutaneous issues, and one need really lost it as starving people do (or very old) to be able to see something related to muscles.
Yuliasir
Saint
Saint

Postby Twitchy82 on January 24th, 2014, 5:21 pm

Thank you, is it normal however that when I hold my palm in a soft fist or perpendicular to my arm with my fingers straight out that the hyperthenar twitches... i can sometimes even provoke twitches when i flick the hyperthenar. Flicking it makes it contract a little.
Twitchy82

Sponsor

Sponsor

Next

Return to Questions About BFS