Should BFS have a name change?

General Topics

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

Should BFS have a name change?

Postby Watereddown on January 10th, 2014, 2:28 am

Who thinks BFS needs to change its name to something that encompasses the entire nervous system? When people think BFS (and not many do) they think of only twitching. But like many on this forum have shown, BFS comes in many different shapes and forums. I just believe people will begin to believe a diagnosis of BFS if there was an actual diagnostic term connecting feelings like tingling, buzzing, vibrations and twitching all under one common condition. I think this is why so many of us have such a hard time accepting the fact that it is only BFS that is wrong with us. These subtleties make a difference ya know! Having a hyperactive nervous system is not easy to come to terms with :/
Watereddown

Re: Should BFS have a name change?

Postby leaflea on January 10th, 2014, 10:24 am

Yes, I agree. Something like "neuromuscular hyperactivity disorder" NHD. I would like to get a better handle on what exactly that means, but I think it means all of it...twitching, buzzing, anxiety, tremor, fear, cramps, spasms, visible and invisible twitches, twitches you feel and ones you can't, variable frequencies and speeds, sometimes with hot spots, sometimes in odd places, accompanied by clean EMG and neuro exam.
Matthew 6:27 Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to his life?
leaflea
Saint
Saint

Postby veryworried123 on January 10th, 2014, 1:21 pm

basically what happened is this

dr said your twitching, its benign and we don't know why call me if anything else changes and have a nice day

the S in BFS i believe was created as its a catch all for all the other *beep* we go through that doesnt fit in any other bucket
veryworried123
Hero
Hero

Postby aztwitchy on January 10th, 2014, 3:37 pm

I totally agree...BFS is perhaps misleading. some neurologists I have seen refuse to use the term. then again we are a syndrome not a disease...so its just a grouping of symptoms and allows for us to at least band together and help cope and some push for more investigation.
"Health is a state of complete physical, mental and social well-being, and not merely the absence of disease or infirmity." ~World Health Organization, 1948
aztwitchy
Hero
Hero

Postby SecretAgentMan on January 10th, 2014, 7:29 pm

In my opinion a name is just a name. No matter what you call it, people diagnosed with it will identify with the symptoms associated with it and become it. The mind is a powerful thing.
If your mind is your own worst enemy, why not make friends with it and turn it into your greatest ally? Mental discipline is achievable and there is help available. Learn what works for you, practice, and change your life for the better.
SecretAgentMan
Saint
Saint

Postby SuziQ on January 19th, 2014, 7:51 pm

Nothing wrong with the acronym "BFS" as long as you think of it as "Brain F--K Syndrome."

Then you've encompassed everything.

:)

Blessings,
Sue
Be careful about reading health books. You may die of a misprint.
Mark Twain
SuziQ
Saint
Saint

Postby veryworried123 on January 19th, 2014, 11:35 pm

That's probably the best name for bfs I've heard
veryworried123
Hero
Hero

Sponsor