Vit b12 low?

Information about how to manage or reduce the severity of BFS symptoms

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

Vit b12 low?

Postby LIndaJ on January 12th, 2014, 1:09 am

Hello all, I am an old timer who checks in periodically. Have had bfs for approximately 6 years. Recently learned i am deficient in Vit B12. I also have Hashimotos thyroid disease and these 2 things go hand in hand. Just wanted to report that after supplementing 1000 mcgs B12 daily with sublingual tabs ( under the tongue) for the last 5 months my muscle twitches are basically gone. It's easy to get tested for low B12...simple blood test and might be worth it .
LIndaJ
Hero
Hero

Re: Vit b12 low?

Postby leaflea on January 12th, 2014, 5:17 pm

Thanks for stopping by and sharing that! Glad you are finding relief!
Matthew 6:27 Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to his life?
leaflea
Saint
Saint

Postby donnastar on January 13th, 2014, 7:44 pm

Thanks for checking in. My neurologist prescribed the same B12 for me in late October. I hope I get the same response as you :)
donnastar

Postby 6t5frlane on January 15th, 2014, 7:52 am

OTC b-12 ??
6t5frlane
Hero
Hero

Postby donnastar on January 15th, 2014, 8:16 am

For me yes the same kind of B12 as Lindaj. 1000mcg dissolve under the tongue daily over the counter. You can also get drops from the pharmacist. I'm getting my blood work checked again in March to see how much it has increased. If not my GP plans to discuss other options with me. The neurologist really stressed to me how important it was even writing it down including the follow up bloodwork. He also told me the B12 will really help my overall well being as well.
donnastar

Postby leaflea on January 15th, 2014, 5:59 pm

This may be a fluke, but because of this post I bought some OTC B-12 2000mg yesterday, took one, and my twitching is greatly decreased already today. I also had my first appointment with a therapist specializing in Health Anxiety and anxiety in general. I was very impressed with all of his research based knowledge. He is very familiar with BFS! I think I found the right person.
leaflea
Saint
Saint

Postby donnastar on January 15th, 2014, 7:33 pm

That's really great leaflea! That both your twitching decreased today and that you found someone very familiar with BFS. I look forward to your future posts about that and what you learn. Hoping somethings I can learn from your experience. I admire that you're seeing a therapist…so difficult to control the symptoms of BFS but we do have some control of how we respond to them.
donnastar

Postby leaflea on January 15th, 2014, 8:11 pm

Does anyone know how long it takes to get the B12 level up? It can take 4-6 months for Magnesium.

My therapist said BFS happens commonly after a prolonged period of stress. How many of us already knew that? Also that it commonly happens to people who are sensitive to things happening in their body. People who are sensitive to things going on in the body are understandably more prone to Health Anxiety. We notice everything, every tummy growl etc... Also, some people are "wired" to handle anxiety in a somatic way, or are more prone to "feel" the stress in the body. Some may be more prone to talking or yelling or whatever, but sometimes excess stress is expressed in the body and we feel it, we notice it, and then we worry about it and it gets into a loop. So, certain people are prone to develop Health Anxiety.

I joked that people who are not in tune with their bodies are more prone to get some kind of Stage 4 Cancer instead. Not funny really, probably some truth in that. Maybe that is a positive side to having Health Anxiety. Us Health Anxiety folks makes sure nothing gets by us. We don't have enough of a sense or system of healthy denial. I want to get that healthy denial back. Having Health Anxiety has robbed me of a lot of joy at different times over the years. Of course, there are some early experiences that contribute to developing Health Anxiety as well. I remember some rather dramatic doctors when I was young and feeling devastated by them when they told me I had scoliosis, for example. Also, seeing a loved one who was very, very ill. I loved to take care of him, but it was also frightening to see him so sick. The rewarding aspect of this led me into the field of healthcare. Unfortunately, being in the field of healthcare also gives me too much knowledge. Knowing just a little too much is not good for someone like me.
leaflea
Saint
Saint

Postby Yuliasir on January 16th, 2014, 1:24 am

Leaflea,
when I was told I have scoliosis, I went in tears (I was 7 and already had a GAD, was 'unhappy child') and came home and told my grandma that I have 'sclerosis'.
Actually I am fine and have not even a slight sign of a bad posture becasue I spent 4 years in the special school with classes held in supine position, and daily gymnastics and physiotherpay... and did a lot of special excersises at home (suppose this is one of the reasons I deny gyms andother health facilitites), but I also kept this feeling of having plain irregularity of the spine as something fatal, worht to be ashamed of etc. I was told by doctors I would not be able to give a birth due to distirted perlvis (I have a healthy daughter born naturally), I should not tell nobody that I visit the 'boardinbg school" - 'people may think you are mentally impaired' (haha, I was smarter than my classmates for all the time i was in school and I think far smarter that anybody who can suppose I am mentally impaired)... I had dull childhood becasue of that which I think supported my GAd quite well. "Do not go to play with your friend - you have a SCHEDULE and have to lay don for 15 minutes each 30 minutes". I was prescribed to sleep in a gypsum model of my whole back (still have no idea WHY, if it was incorrect?) - and there were the only case I had seen my father crying becasue my ears did not fit the head part and I was in pain. he had to cut the holes for them :) and was really happy when we broke the bloody device and he threw it out to the grabage pile... I can not ride a bike (do not till now), had to swim and ski alot (hate them both to be honest)...

so many of us are really hurt in the early childhood and had to live hurt and not healed with more and more and more stresses till the breakdown :) good that we still may repair ourselves.
Yuliasir
Saint
Saint

Postby leaflea on January 16th, 2014, 5:41 pm

Yes, it is as if these early rather traumatic experiences create a brain pathway by which we experience each new health event. The feeling of getting some health news come right back. I felt defective and deformed when he showed the X-ray to a bunch of people. He said I would have lifelong problems and even if I had a brace I would need surgery as an adult and risk paralysis. Far too much info for a 11 or 12 year old. Turns out, I have some minor problems due to it but nothi g anywhere near as what he predicted. I am thankful for that. Very overwhelmed at the time.
leaflea
Saint
Saint

Postby donnastar on January 16th, 2014, 9:36 pm

Not sure the answer for the time frame to get B12 levels up but assuming several months. I think its something that depletes over a long period of time and takes time for the body to built it up again. Mine was only a little on the low side so not even mentioned by the GP but something the neurologist zeroed in on. I'll let you know in March if mine has improved. Wouldn't hurt to request to have it added to your next blood work.

Thanks for sharing Leaflea and Yuliasir your childhood experiences with scoliosis…gosh how traumatic yet so inspiring they way you're living life today :D . I would say I developed some health anxiety after having little ones to stress about. But the real anxiety started after the BFS symptoms which when I reflect back after a prolonged period of life stressors. I'm also in the health care field (like many of us on this forum) a mixed blessing that's for sure.
donnastar

Postby donnastar on April 17th, 2014, 8:41 pm

Sharing my vitamin B12 update: after supplementing for about 5 months my B12 level is up over 300 points to the middle range of normal. My vitamin D level went down 4 small points but it was already below normal. I guess it really was a long winter in Canada. With my Vit B12 up I would say my well being has improved - my anxiety and emotional responses to twitching is way better. I would say in general my twitching is better but hard to say how much. I still twitch even have foot cramps and more sensory symptoms but the hotspots are less frequent and the amount of random twitches have decreased.
donnastar

Postby German2 on April 23rd, 2014, 1:09 pm

Dear Linda!
oh I should have scroll down before I post...This is really good to know...I posted my good experience with Vit. B12 some seconds ago and I know for a few weeks that I have a subclinical Hashimoto...so there is indeed a link as you wrote...Thanks!

German2
German2
Saint
Saint

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to Symptom Management