Can tinnitus be a symptom of BFS?

Information about how to manage or reduce the severity of BFS symptoms

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

Can tinnitus be a symptom of BFS?

Postby Fasci on January 13th, 2014, 7:32 pm

Just curious if tinnitus can be related to or part of BFS. I've had a mild ringing in my left ear for the last couple of weeks. Not freaking out over, but hoping it goes away.
Fasci

Re: Can tinnitus be a symptom of BFS?

Postby Watereddown on January 14th, 2014, 12:38 am

Have definitely experienced that. Don't know if its related but I would not be surprised. Nothing to get worried about
Watereddown

Postby Yuliasir on January 14th, 2014, 1:04 am

Mnay fellows report that. I do not have it (at least prolonged or sustained, as for accidental, I think we all have them) but it is still better to check if there is no inner ear infection or neurinoma (benign neoplasm).
Yuliasir
Saint
Saint

Postby Little Lost on January 14th, 2014, 11:54 am

Hi sorry to repost an article I already put a link to but it is relevent to your question. I have lots of ear issues too. Yuliasar is correct you should get it checked out, especially if it is happening in one ear only. I found this article would have posted link but for some reason it wont link....so here is the abstract for you.

J Laryngol Otol. 2013 Jun;127(6):605-6. doi: 10.1017/S0022215113000297. Epub 2013 Mar 12.

Transitory stapedial myoclonus in a patient with benign fasciculation syndrome.Brigo F, Storti M, Lochner P, Nardone R.
SourceDepartment of Neurological, Neuropsychological, Morphological and Movement Sciences, Section of Clinical Neurology, Merano, Italy. [email protected]

Abstract
OBJECTIVE: We report a previously undescribed association between transitory stapedial myoclonus, objective tinnitus and benign fasciculation syndrome.

METHOD: Case report and review of the world literature regarding stapedial myoclonus.

RESULTS: A 30-year-old man with a diagnosis of benign fasciculation syndrome abruptly developed severe, low-pitched tinnitus on the right side. Otoscopic examination revealed rhythmic movement of the tympanic membrane, which was synchronous with the tinnitus. No palatal spasm was noted on nasopharyngeal examination. Brain magnetic resonance imaging and pure tone audiometry were unremarkable. Based on these findings, a diagnosis of objective tinnitus due to stapedial myoclonus was made. The objective tinnitus spontaneously disappeared within 48 hours of its appearance, but in the following days the patient suffered frequent, brief episodes of objective tinnitus lasting only a few seconds.

CONCLUSION: The occurrence of stapedial myoclonus in this patient indicated the presence of an underlying motor unit hyper-excitability. This case suggests that, in some patients, stapedial myoclonus may represent the clinical expression of diffuse motor [/b]unit hyper-excitability
Little Lost
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to Symptom Management