Twitching and menstrual cycles

This forum is for posting your personal experiences with BFS: symptoms, doctor visits, fears, etc.

Please use this forum to post give and recieve encoragement and reassurance from sharing the trials and triumphs you have faced.

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

Twitching and menstrual cycles

Postby jebmd on January 12th, 2014, 9:21 am

I am new to this site and have just completed the diagnostic process (bloodwork, MRI, EMG) although I have been lurking here since my symptoms began in September 2013 after one nasty cold :x . I am still twitching everywhere on and off some days more noticeable than others. More severe twitching lately and I am expecting a period in the next few days. Sleeping gets very bad around this time even with meds, no more then 4-5 hours/night. I am a 46 year old female, Just wondering if there are any female twitchers out there or male partners of female twitchers that have noticed that symptoms increase before menstrual cycles?

Peace,
Joanne
jebmd

Re: Twitching and menstrual cycles

Postby Yuliasir on January 12th, 2014, 10:23 am

Joanne,
if you would search the site, you'd see that this question was raised several times and the answer is rather yes :) some of our female fellows really report noticeable increase in twitching around the periods. I also had that however in a very strange way: I am for long tim eon the oral contraceptives but I had noticed increase in twitches in accordance with my natural period cycle which is 5 weeks :)))

hope this would help a bit.
Yuliasir
Saint
Saint

Postby jebmd on January 12th, 2014, 10:52 am

Thank you for your answer-I have been lurking on this site since September and have never found a reference to twitching and periods-maybe I just missed those posts. Thanks for taking the time though.
Joanne
jebmd

Postby shell67 on January 12th, 2014, 12:39 pm

I'm also 46 and just started twitching last June. If you google "perimenopause and twitching" you'll see that many women in our age group experience muscle twitching. It is probably related to fluctuations in estrogen.
shell67

Postby emmie.s on January 12th, 2014, 12:46 pm

I remember posting about this a few months ago, and seeing others post about it in the past. So yes there's some correlation between our hormones and flare ups.
emmie.s
Hero
Hero

Postby nrwtwitcher on January 13th, 2014, 2:54 pm

I am twitching for 4 month now. And I have made the experience that my twitches become extremely worse in the days before my menses.
nrwtwitcher
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby donnastar on January 13th, 2014, 7:48 pm

yes I too notice an increase in symptoms around that time of the month…just to share your not alone.
donnastar

Postby jebmd on January 16th, 2014, 1:39 pm

Thanks for all those replies that confirm what I suspected. Interestingly, when my EMG was done Dec 18/13 I had just experienced a HUGE thumper of a twitch in my right shoulder 2 days prior that lasted about an hour and was really sore. That was the first time that I told my husband about my A** fears and he was not very sympathetic. I got my period 2 days later (after the EMG which showed nothing) and one week earlier then it should have happened. I have a second cousin and a high school classmate who both died of THE disease in 2011 and 2012 respectively at 47 and 45 years old-both male so my fears reached an all time high. This time around, I again noticed the increase in symptoms in the last week (when I did my first post on this thread) and got my period today-and the twitching has died down today compared to yesterday when it drove my crazy-nothing that I could see though. :P I called my neurologist yesterday and she has agreed to do another EMG in March (3 months from the first just to quell my anxiety) in my other arm having only tested the right side the first time and my symptoms are now mainly on the left arm and leg. She did tell me, as had been said many times on this site that if I had MND, it would show up wherever it was tested for which was helpful to hear again.
Best and happy and less twitchy New Year!
Joanne
jebmd

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to Experiences with BFS