EMG in two days

This forum is for posting your personal experiences with BFS: symptoms, doctor visits, fears, etc.

Please use this forum to post give and recieve encoragement and reassurance from sharing the trials and triumphs you have faced.

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

Re: EMG in two days

Postby Yuliasir on December 6th, 2013, 10:51 am

nope twitching never stops after reassurance r EMG or diagnosis.
it is like running nose - you may say "it is a flu' but it would not stop sneezing :)

you have (most ptobably due to stress) several systems damaged in your body, and it takes months or even years to get them recovered and twitches decreased significantly.
Yuliasir
Saint
Saint

Postby leaflea on January 6th, 2014, 10:55 pm

Well, I will finally see a neurologist in 36 hors after 8 week wait. Just reviewed this, my first post. I had clean EMG one month ago. Since then I have faithfully taken Magnesium. I think it's helping at least a little. I will continue to take as I've read it can take 4-6 months to replenish. I haven't had any meltdowns though still have some fear. My left hand feels somehow strangely detached and awkward sometimes.

My neurological was trained India and is the resident expert in ALS in a relatively large and reputable clinic, though not an ALS clinic. I am on vacation. Weather has caused many flight cancellations so I just hope I get home okay tomorrow night!

Have good days and bad with twitches. Generally but slowly improving I think.

One of my favorite things about this site is seeing transformation in people from petrified people to confident and helping others.

Oh, and finally have an appointment with a shrink (waiting list for him too) who specializes in health anxiety on the 14th. Cognitive behavioral I'm sure. H does not prescribe mess though I'm thinking I should maybe consider some. But what? Afraid many things hurt more than help.
Matthew 6:27 Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to his life?
leaflea
Saint
Saint

Postby veryworried123 on January 6th, 2014, 11:26 pm

thanks for the update

glad to see everything went well

90% of bfs in mental
concur that and reduce stress
veryworried123
Hero
Hero

Postby leaflea on January 8th, 2014, 12:20 pm

I am two hours away from my appointment and cannot believe how incredibly anxious I am! I have been maintaining farily well until yesterday. I so want him to say "get out of here, I don't ever want to see you darken my door and waste my time again!" but I am afraid he will say something like "hm. this is interesting, come back and see me in three months." I am writing down all kinds of questions and my history hoping he can piece something together and I won't have regrets about not asking something or having something answered to my satisfaction. If you are a praying person and you see this, please shout out some prayers around 1:00 Central Time USA. Thanks so much!
leaflea
Saint
Saint

Postby veryworried123 on January 8th, 2014, 1:02 pm

ask all those questions

i had 18 written down and all I got to ask was 5
veryworried123
Hero
Hero

Postby leaflea on January 8th, 2014, 6:02 pm

I went and he said no ALS! I am so happy. I was aftraid what he might say about my wrists, thenar, and hands and he said there is no weakness, no atrophy and I passed my reflexes and strength with flying colors. Od course, I had no fasciculations while I was with him. I feel really relieved tonight and want to celebrate! Of course I did not ask him about what in the world really is meant by "neuromuscular hyperexcitability." He said I ONLY need to come back if there are new symptoms and he gave me a bunch of labs to have done including Lyme's and vitamin D etc. I'll post more if I can remember.
leaflea
Saint
Saint

Postby veryworried123 on January 8th, 2014, 6:27 pm

good news

i hope you stop twitching...i'm sure everything else will be ok
veryworried123
Hero
Hero

Postby emmie.s on January 8th, 2014, 6:39 pm

Awesome!!! But we all knew it :)
emmie.s
Hero
Hero

Postby veryworried123 on January 8th, 2014, 8:38 pm

Yulilsar and emmie

2 questions keep getting asked in various fourums with no concrete answers
Perhaps I can ask the two of you

1. Does it matter where you twitch and or how long. Some say constant twitching in one area is more reason of concern and others say it doesn't matter. Thighs are always commented on as being more "concerning"

2. There were a few quotes recently stating that many people with a%# state they had twitching long before weakness and other problems. While I don't know the details associated with that comment it certainly caused a lot of confusion and discussions

Thoughts?
veryworried123
Hero
Hero

Postby emmie.s on January 8th, 2014, 10:32 pm

I would say that once you've been given the all clear by a competent neurologist, the location or persistence of the twitches don't matter.
I believe approximately 6% of ALS patients present with twitching as the first symptom. However, the rule is that if someone has 6 months of twitching and no weakness or other changes in reflexes, etc. then its BFS. For those that had twitching for years and then got ALS, who is to say they didn't have both BFS and ALS, especially since BFS is common?
Also, those who presented with twitching as their first symptom, would've likely had a questionable EMG or clinical exam that showed they had overlooked weakness had they gone to a neurologist at the start of their twitching.
emmie.s
Hero
Hero

Postby Yuliasir on January 9th, 2014, 1:09 am

Veryworried,
those questions were answered many times here.
1. No, no matter. Experience of people on this board indicates that neither frequency not type or location of twitches is not crucial. BFS is often a condition of hotspots - localised twitching. NEVER heard about the fact that tighs are specifically worse. I heard that tongue is, but experience of dozens of people here says it is not so.
2. Well, there was the only (as far as I remember) reported and medically proven case when a person had twitches for 2 years AND OTHER ARTIFACTS on EMG but full size ALS onset was delayed beyond usual 4-6 months due to extremely high reinnervation rate. But this person was followed up for two years becasue his suspicious state did not resolved into full size disease, and this was unusual and reported. But please note he had something to follow up beyond normal period (AGAIN if you are asked for follow up this does not mean you have something suspicious, everybody are followed up, just yours would be for 6 month to year, and his case was for two years, and he had anomalities on EMG and we do not have specific ones.) There are several percent of cases which present with twitches first, but they are accompamied with specific anomalies on EMG and usually those people develop ALS in few weeks or months. As for the stories like "I had twitches in my hand and then my leg went out of order and it was ALS". this means on my point of view two unrelated conditions - benign twitching in the hand and ALS striking the leg. This is still possible, why not? Benign stress induced twitching happens to about a quarter of all population at least once in the life, it is VERY common, so one may aslo say "I had a flu and then ALS" or maybe "I was smoking and I got ALS" so it is about the same degree of consequency. BFS is not a prerequizite to get ALS. Clean EMG and clean exam and normal followup for 6 month minimum means you do not have ALS right now and no signs to develop it in the near future (but nobody knows if you will in decades).
Gary answered your questions in the Amylou post in a very clear way I think - any unusual single case of ALS onset is published in medical journal as this is a reason for the article. citation etc (not to scare us plain people), but this is specifically for unusual single and rare issues. Read email from prof. Carvahlo, he alse explains this in a very good way.
Yuliasir
Saint
Saint

Postby veryworried123 on January 9th, 2014, 1:34 am

Thank you for the detailed response and clearing things up
I know people are stressed out about all this but Perhaps people should also be careful to post things without all the facts if that makes sense

Thanks
veryworried123
Hero
Hero

Postby leaflea on January 9th, 2014, 4:25 pm

Very worried and anyone else...

1. What Emmie said well --"Also, those who presented with twitching as their first symptom, would've likely had a questionable EMG or clinical exam that showed they had overlooked weakness had they gone to a neurologist at the start of their twitching." We have no evidence they even went to the doctor reporting the twitching, but thought about it in retrospect when they learned after having had another symptom that drove them to the doctor where they learned all the symptoms of ALS and it was "ah ha, I did have some twitching." Really, who hasn't? It just maybe wasn't the degree of twitching or whatever that drives the rest of us to the doctor. I am sure I have had occasional twitches for many years, but the increase and constant and variable types and frequencies is what finally sent me to the doctor. If I'd gone to the doctor last year because of say foot drop, was diagnosed with ALS and learned the other symptoms then, which of course include twitching, I surely would have said "oh yes, I have twitched" and maybe assumed (falsely) that that was my onset of ALS. In statistics taking, it could have erroneously been reported as a first symptom. I can easily see how that could happen.

2. I know for a fact it is the UNUSUAL cases that get especially documented as case studies in medical journals. Doctors are motivated to publish their cases that stand out from a typical case to a. get published and thereby increased status and credibility and b. establish history for future cases with similar presentation or course of illness or disease (not necessarily in that order). Basically for the good of humanity as well as self-promotion.
leaflea
Saint
Saint

Postby Anxious guy on January 12th, 2014, 6:16 pm

I'm still twitching all over but that doesn't bother me so much ... It's the constant tricep twitch every second or so... It's not a thumper, it's a slow twitch that subtly moves up then down and it's just always on my tricep..
Anxious guy
Hero
Hero

Sponsor

Sponsor

Previous

Return to Experiences with BFS