6 months of bodywide non-stop twitching

This forum is for posting your personal experiences with BFS: symptoms, doctor visits, fears, etc.

Please use this forum to post give and recieve encoragement and reassurance from sharing the trials and triumphs you have faced.

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

6 months of bodywide non-stop twitching

Postby thedeparted on December 30th, 2013, 1:25 pm

This will be a shotgun blast of information so sorry if I tend to jump around.

To start, I'm a 29 y/o Male. I don't know if what I have is even BFS, my Dr is stuck on the theory its just caffeine induced. My Grandmother did have ALS (but I'm not thinking it is that.)

So for the past few years I have had twitching that started low in the body Abs/legs and worked its way to the chest, and finally end in the triceps as a "hot spot." But would only last a day or so.

About 7 months ago I had a back spasm from a weight lifting injury. As the spasm let up my calf began twitching non stop for about 2 days. At that time the calf felt like I had done about 10,000 calf raises, the pain was incredible. It was diagnosed through an MRI as a L5-S1 bulge.

Since that incident with my calfs I have had an onslaught on twitching throughout the body, from my calfs, to parts of my head that I was unaware that could even spasm . My hot spots seem to by my tricep and chest. But have had my thumb move on its own, and even multiple spasms at once.

Also I could even flex the tricep and have it get stuck flexed for a second or so, before it would go back to normal. Does that ever happen with BFS?

All my twitching is painless, and I have not had any strength loss, on the contrary my lift #'s continue to rise.

So with all of that I think I have may found a treatment for my hot spots. About 3 weeks ago I added branched chain amino acids(BCAA's) to my supplements for weightlifting (also take Creatine/protein/beta alanine.) And since I have added the BCAA's I have not had a single hot spot. I still get an occasional quick twitch, but nothing like I was experiencing before.

So is this a possible treatment? Or just dumb luck? And if so why would i be that depleted on BCAA's?

Thanks for any and all help!
thedeparted

Re: 6 months of bodywide non-stop twitching

Postby leaflea on January 2nd, 2014, 5:13 pm

I don't know why no one has responded. Maybe because you do not sound in distress which is great! This is potentially very useful information. Can you tell us more about it and where you get it?
Matthew 6:27 Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to his life?
leaflea
Saint
Saint

Postby thedeparted on January 3rd, 2014, 12:05 am

Haha at least someone finally replied!

I am just taking generic BCAA's, which include: L-Glutamine, L-Leucine, L-Isoleucine, L-Valine, L-Arginine, Betaine,and Taurine. They are cheap, just google search BCAA, and any supplement sight will have them.

I am still hot spot free as of today, but am still getting random quick twitches (between thumb and index finger, side of head, etc.) Thank god because the months of non-stop hot spots were driving me insane.

And the "Sticking tricep" I mentioned seems to be part of an un-related scapula injury.
thedeparted

Postby leaflea on January 3rd, 2014, 2:04 pm

It is all interesting. I will look into it. It is good you are not drowning in fear as it seems many of us are at least from time to time. The kind folks here are busy throwing us a rope. Even if no one replies, your post is a valuable piece of a sea of information. Thank you and all the best.
Matthew 6:27 Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to his life?
leaflea
Saint
Saint

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to Experiences with BFS