Nerves

This forum is for posting your personal experiences with BFS: symptoms, doctor visits, fears, etc.

Please use this forum to post give and recieve encoragement and reassurance from sharing the trials and triumphs you have faced.

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

Nerves

Postby leaflea on January 2nd, 2014, 11:38 am

Hello all, something new and wondering if anyone can relate. I have always considered myself an easygoing laidback loving and friendly person. Except when it comes to my health. Ive had a series of stressors over months and it has culminated in the twitching. With this, my nerves feel "fried." Poorer sleep, preoccupied etc. last evening after exercise my feet and calves were wildly twitching. Fine twitches i could feel and barely or not even see. During this, i snapped and yelled in a rant at my teenage kids (HIGHLY out of character, but they were on my "nerves"). Afterward. OH MY GOSH twitches spread everywhere especially shoulder girdle and thenar and now cramps in feet! It was really scary. My thoughts then were dark. Then it occurred to me this is somehow more related to emotions.

Please post if you have experience with adrenaline rush and change of symptoms or if you have a good understanding or theory of what neuromuscular "hyper excitability" or anything of the sort means. Thank you!
Matthew 6:27 Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to his life?
leaflea
Saint
Saint

Re: Nerves

Postby SecretAgentMan on January 2nd, 2014, 11:58 am

leaflea wrote:Then it occurred to me this is somehow more related to emotions.

Are you at all familiar with Post Traumatic Stress Disorder or PTSD? The condition is resultant of one or several emotionally traumatic events in a person's life that they have no idea how to process or integrate. Did you also know that among the many symptoms of PTSD are neurological problems such as twitching, tingling, numbness, cramps, spasms, increased irritability, and hyper sensitivity? I believe emotions are central to the manifestation of BFS regardless of the physical contributors (similar to PTSD). I attribute my recovery to a multifaceted approach including the healing of some past emotional traumas. Meditation and hypnosis were critically helpful tools in accomplishing my healing in this area.
If your mind is your own worst enemy, why not make friends with it and turn it into your greatest ally? Mental discipline is achievable and there is help available. Learn what works for you, practice, and change your life for the better.
SecretAgentMan
Saint
Saint

Postby leaflea on January 2nd, 2014, 12:34 pm

I do know a lot about ptsd but dont think it applies to me in the true sense at least of any single traumatic event However i have had a series of hard thing over a period of 8 months. Thanks.
leaflea
Saint
Saint

Postby SecretAgentMan on January 3rd, 2014, 9:07 am

As human beings we like to draw lines in the sand and group things into neat little compartmentalized boxes. Diseases and syndromes are a good example. We take a grouping of symptoms that we believe were caused by X and put them in this bin and take another grouping of symptoms that we believe were caused by Y and put them in that bin. At face value, for all the overlap that PTSD has with BFS they may actually be identical except PTSD is usually from one huge traumatic event and BFS is caused incrementally by a long period of drawn out stress and trauma of a lower magnitude. Who really knows? The reason I was referencing PTSD anyway was to make a point (and agree with your suggestion) that emotions may play a very important role.

Here is another interesting fact about the correlation between emotional issues and physical illness or dysfunction. Did you know that people who suffer from multiple personality disorder (MPD) can actually have different allergies depending on what personality they are in? One minute they are in personality A and they are allergic to X, the next minute they are in personality B and they are completely fine with X, but maybe have an issue with Y now. Here's an article that discusses this strange phenomenon: http://www.nytimes.com/1988/06/28/scien ... all&src=pm

So what does this mean? If you really think about it, the implications are pretty staggering. It could mean that a whole host of issues we experience may very well be resultant of emotional perceptions of the world around us. MPD patients have a unique ability to partition parts of their mind into different personalities. When they do this they can hide emotional issues entirely from their physical body and like magic the issues in those areas of their body disappear. Their physical body reflects back to them the issues they have emotionally depending on what personality they are in. It may sound bizarre I know, but this actually makes perfect sense as to why the acupuncture based allergy elimination techniques work. And why do relaxation techniques seem to change the physical expression of our genes? Everything seems to be connected and related.
If your mind is your own worst enemy, why not make friends with it and turn it into your greatest ally? Mental discipline is achievable and there is help available. Learn what works for you, practice, and change your life for the better.
SecretAgentMan
Saint
Saint

Postby Yuliasir on January 3rd, 2014, 9:42 am

accroding to certain refined definitions, you do not need acute stress like war, watching death or being kidnapped or so to get PTSD. Chronic stress causes the same reaction, and 8 month is long enough to cause typical somatic reactions like seep disroders, hyperventilation, increased immune system action (with possible subsequent depression of immune reactivity) which means first allergies and other immune related damages, including maybe twitches and them increase of general susseptibility to bacterial and viral attacks...

I had somewhat different but also amazing experience when after several hours of extreme fear becasue of my daughter was not contqcting me and being really on the edge of a nervous breakdown I sudenly received an SMS from her. Immediately my lip started to itch, swell and I got first in my life so nice dukface angioedema ...was wearing it for three days then (and really decided to do as much as I can in order to avoid such stupid stresses)
Yuliasir
Saint
Saint

Postby emmie.s on January 3rd, 2014, 10:59 am

Wow Yulia, what an ordeal you went through. I know as a a parent how frightening that must've been, and for your fears to be manifested like that physically is pretty intense.
This reminds me of the birth of my son. Right before they were about to induce my labor, the realization that I was about to experience excruciating pain (I refused an epidural for my births), and bring a new life into this world hit me hard and I went deaf. My ears literally felt like they closed themselves and like I was underwater and couldn't make out clearly what my husband and the nurse was saying, no matter how hard as I tried. This lasted for a solid minute or two, which of course felt like an eternity, but thankfully I knew as it was occurring that it had to be related to my fear, so that realization helped me calm down back to normal. It was a REAL physical manifestation of my fear and anxiety, just as I believe that twitching can be.
I'm glad I got to share that story, because I've never told a soul!
emmie.s
Hero
Hero

Postby Yuliasir on January 3rd, 2014, 12:28 pm

yeeee, Emmie, that is what happens to us sometimes :) as for the edema, I was so badly surprised...really... wish this would not happen again to me (becasue it needs special meds to releive).

On the other side, mind is so powerful that I had no anesthesia in my labours at all and just was applying some simple breathing techniques to found that pain was so much bearable that I even got a nap :)) but when I lost the concentration once (just missed the count) - immediately the pain become so bad that I nearly fainted... Moreover,it appeared the doctor was putting sutures on my delicate parts after delivery and I did not feel that until noted that they do something to me, asked, received the answer and BOOM! pain was switched on immediately ;)) it was quite funny to notice that even in pain. So I really believe in mindpower as I have personal experience of it:)

Good that you have a chance to share your own story becasue it is all about having fears under control. it is very important, on my point of view.
Yuliasir
Saint
Saint

Postby leaflea on January 3rd, 2014, 1:59 pm

Well this is fascinating indeed! The last thing in a series of stressful events starting in late September... and continuing into late October, with strong abdominal fasciculations first noted in early October was...drumroll...angioedema! It was horrible. I looked as though i had been through a chemical war. I had to continue to function and work through it. It was painful and embarrassing. It was an allergic reaction to a product I had used a few months with no issues and it took weeks to isolate the cause. I had been under chronic stress at least starting in early Spring before the angioedema and then now the twitching. It seems not to end. More stress arriving and I must get a handle on it. So, yes, i think i am dealing with the physical effects of stress whether it is chronic or ptsd type, the effect on the body can be the same. Thank you all for responding. This board is so helpful.
leaflea
Saint
Saint

Postby SecretAgentMan on January 3rd, 2014, 4:37 pm

It sounds like everyone here has had powerful experiences that validate the 'mind over matter' affect, particularly relating to our own physical health. Yuliasir's story in particular was a perfect example of how we can use this to our benefit. My wife did a similar thing with the delivery of our 2nd daughter. She used a technique called hypno-birthing where you do relaxation techniques and breathing. She didn't need any drugs either and had a really positive experience.
SecretAgentMan
Saint
Saint

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to Experiences with BFS