There are more twitchers than we realize

General Topics

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

There are more twitchers than we realize

Postby emmie.s on November 30th, 2013, 9:37 am

Last night I went to a dinner with my brother-in-law and his GF, and the subject of my twitching somehow came up when they noticed my dietary restrictions as I was trying to order something. My brother in law was like "what do you mean twitches? Like the spasms my eye gets all the time?" and his girlfriend was like "yea, he always gets this annoying eye tic, its hilarious because it lasts days and days, and goes away and comes back. When I get one its gone in a day". So even his GF gets them too!
At this point I was like hmmm, interesting. I asked more questions and found out that my brother-in-law calls twitches "spasms" and he says that he's had them forever, he gets them mainly at night when he is trying to fall asleep after a stressful day, and that his doctor said it was just his muscles trying to relax themselves. He also says that when he works out (hes young, healthy and addicted to the gym) one of his arms thumps up and down like crazy (twitches) because he's sure he strained it one time years ago. I bet he's twitching randomly during the day too, but is only noticing it at night when he's at rest! I found a closet BFSer!

He was PUZZLED as to why I was ever concerned about my twitches (my husband told them during dinner that this past summer I had a near breakdown over twitching) and they kind of even laughed because they were so confused as to why I would freak out over that. Of course I didn't dare tell them about what Dr. Google said, but he maybe read my mind because he said "Yea, I stay away from webMD because every time I would go on it to check for this or that, it would say the outcome was certain death" and they all had a good chuckle.

I made a mental note to make sure and post this story as evidence there are likely so many people with BFS that are just not concerned about it.

Here is another story, but stop reading here if you are fed up with reading about gluten:
During a different dinner about a month ago, I asked to see the gluten free menu and an acquaintance at the dinner table asked to see it too, because sometimes gluten gives her legs spasms. In retrospect, seeing as how my brother-in-law used "spasm" to mean twitch, I wonder if she meant the same thing?!!???! Interesting :)
Last edited by emmie.s on November 30th, 2013, 2:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
emmie.s
Hero
Hero

Re: There are more twitchers than we realize

Postby Yuliasir on November 30th, 2013, 10:35 am

Yea, I stay away from webMD because every time I would go on it to check for this or that, it would say the outcome was certain death" and they all had a good chuckle.

Oh Emmie, I just read in a frinedly LJ (kept by a biologist from Russia working in USA) something like" why FDA would not close WebMD becasue they always say: "Symptomes of balabalabalh mean blabalbalh cancer"

speaking seriously, so really glad that you are now much more free of fears and especially that BFS brought some benefits to you (as healthy eating etc.) as it really heppens to almost everybody in the community after initial period of intense fears :)
Yuliasir
Saint
Saint

Postby Anxious guy on November 30th, 2013, 1:15 pm

I enjoyed that post :-)
Anxious guy
Hero
Hero

Postby Anxious guy on November 30th, 2013, 1:21 pm

One of my good friends was round visiting today and I said hey look at my tricep to show him thinking he would be freaked by the constant twitching and he couldn't have been more calm when he said .... Yeah my cheek does that all the time .... That was the end of the conversation then we went out for some beers and lunch lol
Last edited by Anxious guy on November 30th, 2013, 2:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Anxious guy
Hero
Hero

Postby Rothhaar on November 30th, 2013, 1:29 pm

Definitely an interesting topic!
I recently told a collegue about my twitches and how much they scared me and he just answered something like "Oh, you mean that muscle twitching. I've been having it in my right forearm for years. Sometimes it's so strong that it moves my hand. Funny thing, isn't it."
Rothhaar

Postby johnnythejet on December 2nd, 2013, 1:18 am

Threads like this have popped up many times in the past. There are definitely lots lots lots more twitchers than you'd think. So many of us have crossed paths with other twitchers in every day life. Just yesterday I was talking with a co-worker and she went on to explain how her eye wouldn't stop twitching. I inquired a bit more to find out her leg had been twitching as well. Fun stuff!
johnnythejet
Saint
Saint

Postby muppetdog on December 3rd, 2013, 1:22 am

I once met a gunfighter with a twitchy trigger finger...... his condition was not benign.
muppetdog
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby Rothhaar on December 3rd, 2013, 4:21 am

muppetdog wrote:I once met a gunfighter with a twitchy trigger finger...... his condition was not benign.

For whom? :lol:
Rothhaar

Postby muppetdog on December 3rd, 2013, 5:31 am

Exactly
muppetdog
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby seventhcandle on December 18th, 2013, 9:05 pm

What a great read. Thanks for sharing.

I was talking to a Calculus student outside of class a few weeks back and his cheek was twitching noticeably while I spoke with him. He didn't seem to be bothered by it.
Been on the BFS journey since 6/26/12...

Twitch way do I go from here?

BFS does get better with time. Almost two years in and able to do almost everything I could do before I had this condition. Still twitching away of course...
seventhcandle
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby muppetdog on December 19th, 2013, 12:22 am

Integration by parts + Trig substitution = Face Twitching. Every time. Its a fact.
muppetdog
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby seventhcandle on December 19th, 2013, 1:21 am

muppetdog wrote:Integration by parts + Trig substitution = Face Twitching. Every time. Its a fact.

hahahahaha...good one!
Been on the BFS journey since 6/26/12...

Twitch way do I go from here?

BFS does get better with time. Almost two years in and able to do almost everything I could do before I had this condition. Still twitching away of course...
seventhcandle
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby Anxious guy on December 19th, 2013, 4:12 pm

My cousins wife posted this on Facebook .. "I hate this muscle twitch on my thigh and it won't stop since yesterday"
So clearly ppl get them just not as frequent and persistent as most of us... I am currently finding my symptoms quite difficult... Feel like my whole body is buzzing or trembling !! Tricep twitch every few seconds for 6 weeks, weak feeling in my legs or maybe that's the trembly feeling... Loads of calf activity 3 per second like its bubbling!! Random all over too and loads of fast machine gun ones !!
Anxious guy
Hero
Hero

Postby leaflea on December 19th, 2013, 6:26 pm

I work in a hospital - in the past two days I had one lady with longstanding Lyme's Syndrome (25 years). Among other things, I simply asked her about twitching, she said "oh my God! ten years ago I had it so bad, big ones in my stomach like a baby kicking!(and she gestured)! I went down the whole als road with this"...I had not said one single word about my own symptoms OR als (my stomach one was the one that got my own attention).

I had another woman who suffers from health anxiety + just plain old serious anxiety for many years. 77 years old. She called the ambulance yesterday to take her to the ER because she had a twitch in her calf. Evidently, she thought it was life threatening.

My sister went to the ER a few years ago with many different symptoms. She said he cheek was twitching and the ER doctor said "we will have to check on some of these other things, but THAT (the cheeck twitch) I can say for certain is caused by anxiety."
Matthew 6:27 Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to his life?
leaflea
Saint
Saint

Postby tiffskuirl on December 23rd, 2013, 1:14 pm

So true. My best friend's response when I confided in her about all the craziness was "Wait..you mean like the twitch I get in my butt all the time?" I think we are just a little more in tune with our bodies and because of that any deviation away from homeostasis leads us down a dark path. Ignorance is bliss!
tiffskuirl

Sponsor

Sponsor

Next

Return to General Topics