Management through Medication and Remedies

Information about how to manage or reduce the severity of BFS symptoms

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

Management through Medication and Remedies

Postby harryb3 on November 21st, 2013, 2:27 pm

Sorry in advance if this information is available somewhere else in another forum.

Hello my is Harry and I've dealing with twitching now for 6 months now. I did go through the whole search the internet for answers and thought I had ALS for the longest time, but after EMG and several visits to Neurologists, I've finally convinced myself I don't have ALS and I'm not dying (since October). That has greatly reduced my stress/anxiety. I'm still experiencing the twitching and started to feel tightness and itchiness in my legs. I'm experiencing the twitching all over my body, but mostly almost 24/7 in my Calves, Hamstring, Quad, and butt areas, which makes it completely annoying to where it can't get to sleep or function. I have read a lot of posts, but a lot people do respond to the things that worked for them as opposed the meds that help elevate some of the symptoms.

I'm currently taking amitriptyline 10mg each night and clonazepam .5mg (sometimes 1mg) when things get really bad and I just can deal with it that twitching. Was almost a 1 1/2 months since my last clonazepam, but did take two yesterday because it was really bad. I'm trying Propranolol, but didn't do anything for me.

I've seen others posts regarding Tegretol or Lamictal has help with some of the twitching and was wondering if someone could give me some feedback on their experiences with these meds. Another other medicines that may have helped are welcomed.

Thanks
Harry

I'm a Godly man, but know God also gave us modern medicine.
harryb3

Re: Management through Medication and Remedies

Postby emmie.s on November 21st, 2013, 2:43 pm

I hear gabapentin often works well for the twitching in some individuals. I tried it for nerve pain and I noticed a decrease in twitching, but it might have been coincidental. What is working more for me is diet modification.
emmie.s
Hero
Hero

Postby harryb3 on November 21st, 2013, 3:01 pm

Thanks for the reply emmie.s

I'm assuming you are no longer using gabapentin, so what made you go off of it and what was your dosage when you noticed it working? Also what diet modification have you change that seemed to help. I have completely cut back on my caffeine intake, except for some chocolate ice cream here and there. :) I also started to drink Almond Mike, since it is loaded with Calcium and Magnesium.
Harry

I'm a Godly man, but know God also gave us modern medicine.
harryb3

Postby emmie.s on November 21st, 2013, 6:07 pm

I only took 300 MG a day and went off it because the electrical shooting feelings went away. I got rid of inflammatory and processed foods (mainly gluten) and I incorporated probiotics and lean chicken into my diet (I used to be a carb and sweet loving vegetarian). I also rarely ever eat chocolate or caffeine anymore, but I cheat every now and again. Right now I am on a juice cleanse and I have no twitching at all, and this is coming from someone who had hotspots that would last weeks, sometimes months, as well as all over random twitching, cramps, and ratcheting muscles. Now I get the occasional twitch that lasts a second or so, but nothing like before.
However, I do believe BFS is caused by many things, and therefore there is likely no cure-all. My most recent bout (I had it in 2009 and it went away on its own after several months) came after I got my wisdom teeth removed, and I was on antibiotics several times. I also have weakly positive ANA, so it may due to something autoimmune, and cutting out the inflammatory foods that would trigger an autoimmune response worked for me. Others have said it came about after an illness, so who really knows the culprit.
Good luck!
emmie.s
Hero
Hero

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to Symptom Management