New member/twitching 11 months.

This forum is for posting your personal experiences with BFS: symptoms, doctor visits, fears, etc.

Please use this forum to post give and recieve encoragement and reassurance from sharing the trials and triumphs you have faced.

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

New member/twitching 11 months.

Postby twitchydds on November 2nd, 2013, 6:38 am

Hello
I mostly wanted to introduce myself to this forum. My twitching began December 2012 with a persistant upper left eyelid twitch. I also got a persistant one in my abdomen around the same time. Within a few weeks the widespread twitching began. Fast forward to today... there is not one muscle in my body that has not twitched. Right now all 4 of my eyelids twitch daily, especially after blinking hard, wiping with a wash cloth, yawning, sneezing, etc , will set them off for sure. My right elbow and left quad seem to show their face a quite often as well. I get them other places in my body and face daily but most of them are popcorn-like or disappear within a day or two. My eyelids are my most annoying twitches as they seem to never go away. This did all start a few months after my daughter was diagnosed with a special needs syndrome, I bought into a dental practice, and was dealing with a corneal erosion (ironicallyin my left eye!)....so I do believe I was under more stress than I thought.
Like many you I first worried of ALS. I no longer have that fear because common sense tells me almost a year later and I have full strenght everywhere. I haven't been officially diagnosed with BFS and haven't seen a neuro, but electrolytes are all normal and had a clear brain MRI with and without contast a few weeks ago just to rule out anything there. Widespread twitching is my only symptom for almost a year. Sure sounds like BFS to me more than anything else....do you agree? I don't know if I am going to see a neuro as I am more annoyed than scared after one year of no weakness. My profession doesn't help with the constant straining of eyes, back, and neck.
Just wanted to introduce myself to this forum with my story. A lot of you hav helped me before I joined just being able to read your stories! Looking forward to your support in this journey!
Thanks
Jim
twitchydds

Re: New member/twitching 11 months.

Postby Yuliasir on November 2nd, 2013, 9:21 am

yep sounds like BFS, and could be clearly explained becasue of your overall situation.

sorry to read about your daughter, but our children are the best for us anyway. I know by the blog one lady in Russia, she has MS which itself is quite a burden, and her eldest son (about 7 yo now) was born with chromosome syndrome so rare that there are only 3 or 5 such children in the world. The boy was not able to move, had vision troubles and overall retardation in development, and she generally was told he would not live for more than 2 years. The last post about this boy I had seen recently was "Ivan has to go to school! looking for proper one!" :) So family really makes miracles...

Have my best wishes for you and her,
Yulia
Yuliasir
Saint
Saint

Postby twitchydds on November 2nd, 2013, 1:13 pm

Thank you for your kind words. My daughter was diagnosed with Kleefsta Syndrome. One of only 100 or so worldwide. She is 5 years old....beating all the odds and doing really well. I certainly can learn a lesson from her. Her situation is much tougher than mine. If I can only be as strong willed as her, I could kick this twitching thing!
twitchydds

Postby volfan on November 3rd, 2013, 10:48 am

Hi Jim - I have a special needs child as well (he has autism). Life can be stressful with all that goes with any type of special needs. Not sure it is why I began down the path of having our set of symptoms - BFS or whatever we think best describes it. I have a fairly stressful job as well and parents who are getting older and needing more attention. I think at some point whatever our circumstances our bodies say enough and revolt. Just my thinking. You can send me an email if you want to chat more. Vicki
volfan
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby twitchydds on November 3rd, 2013, 12:54 pm

Thank you Vicki......I will probably take you up on the email offer. Thanks again.
Jim
twitchydds

Postby magnetizzum on November 3rd, 2013, 6:01 pm

There are several of us with special needs children...I have a two year old son and he has down syndrome and will have heart surgery as soon as flu season ends in 2014. So the stress is there but I can't say either if stress is root cause of twitching. For about 7months now I've twitched just about everywhere daily. I try to subscribe to the idea that apparently this is the new me.
magnetizzum

Postby twitchydds on November 4th, 2013, 6:33 am

My prayers are with your child that all goes well with the heart surgery. I am not sure about the stress thing either...but ironic to me that all this crap started after we finally got a diagnosis and things seemed to be in cruise control. The most stressful thing had passed. I cant say I ever even felt extremely stressed....but maybe it was there and had to find an outlet. No doubt that the twitching itself is stressful though. Thats the only thing that actually stresses me out. Like I said, not necessarily scared but very annoyed. You may be right. This just may have to be the new me.
Thank you as well for your input.
Jim
twitchydds

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to Experiences with BFS