Wobenzym N

Information about how to manage or reduce the severity of BFS symptoms

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

Wobenzym N

Postby jklomparens on October 27th, 2013, 9:49 am

This is my 5th year with BFS. Mine was medically diagnosed after two MRIs and a spinal tap ruled had out the really "bad" stuff. A neurologist was able to monitor the nerves firing off like crazy in the arches of my feet (that's one place where I have constant activity - a fluttering and pulsing of nerve/muscle activity under the skin.) He had not seen BFS, but said my symptoms fit the syndrome.

So, I had many, many other symptoms when this first came on after viral infection. I am convinced it is auto-immune in my case (see all the research done in England and in the Mayo clinic.) One supplement that I know has reduced my symptoms significantly is Wobenzym N. This product is a systemic enzyme that breaks down proteins that cause inflammation. I believe it is a buildup of a kind of protein in the blood that cause the nerve receptors to go haywire (that is why very severe cases of BFS saw relief with blood transfusions.)

This product is not a cure, but when I stop or reduce my daily intake, my symptoms begin to return. The stuff is expensive (800 ct. bottle on Amazon is around $100 and will last about 4 months), but I continue to use it because it really helps.

Here is a VERY important note about taking this product: You must take it on an EMPTY STOMACH and your stomach needs to stay empty for 45 minutes afterward.

My regimen: I take 3 pills in the morning when I first wake up (because your stomach needs to be empty for about 45 minutes after taking these.) I I also take 3 pills just before going to sleep. If I ever wake up in the middle of the night because of symptoms or just a broken sleep pattern (one of my BFS symptoms), I also take 3 pills at that time. I find that this helps immensely in getting back to sleep.

I don't know if this product will help if your BFS is caused by anxiety, but if your symptoms have an auto-immune cause, you may find quite a bit of relief using this product.

As a note of encouragement to new sufferers with BFS, although I was CONSUMED with worry and physical problems early on with BFS, I have not been on this forum for a long time because my symptoms are no longer a big part of my life. Most of them have faded away (because of time? supplements? the body healing itself? the mercy of God?), including most of my sensory symptoms, the weakness, and much of the twitching. I'm on here now because I remember how worried I was and I hope that I can help in a very small way. Eventually you'll learn that everyone has problems and nobody's body is perfect (sometimes it seems like everyone is healthy and you are the only one who is hurting, but that is far from true.)

I'm very busy, so I may not be back on the forum for a while, but if you try Wobenzym N and it reduces your symptoms (particularly if you think your symptoms have a possible viral cause), make sure to post to this site so that others may benefit.

God bless everyone on this site who is suffering, because you will find comfort. The world is not right. Look to the cross where Jesus suffered for you. Our bodies will pass away, but Jesus lives forever. Place your trust in Him.

Peace.
jklomparens

Re: Wobenzym N

Postby emmie.s on October 28th, 2013, 3:41 pm

jklomparens wrote:I am convinced it is auto-immune in my case (see all the research done in England and in the Mayo clinic.) One supplement that I know has reduced my symptoms significantly is Wobenzym N. This product is a systemic enzyme that breaks down proteins that cause inflammation. I believe it is a buildup of a kind of protein in the blood that cause the nerve receptors to go haywire (that is why very severe cases of BFS saw relief with blood transfusions.)

If it is autoimmune, then I would like to chime in that instead of spending $$ on a supplement (or, in addition to for those willing to pay the $$) perhaps cutting out inflammatory foods will help as well. As you said, the product breaks down the proteins that cause inflammation. Perhaps removing the foods that cause internal inflammation to begin with would be beneficial to some BFS folks as well. Adding probiotics would help too. I know this course of action helped me greatly.

I am glad you pointed out that it is not a cure for everyone...I think to do so would cause great disservice to those of us who have "tried it all" without any benefit. That is because I believe that BFS has many causes, and therefore likely many cures.

God bless you for taking the time to help, and God bless all of us who are consumed by undue worrying and fears over this.

Matthew 6:27 ESV
And which of you by being anxious can add a single hour to his span of life?
emmie.s
Hero
Hero

Postby christo on October 28th, 2013, 4:00 pm

Both inflammation and auto immune activity are easy to detect with a simple blood work. I think you should begin with such a simple test before trying costly supplement. Also, if you have really an auto immune disease, then cortico steroid and other meds could effectively slow down your immune system giving your body the time to heal.
christo
Hero
Hero

Postby Little Lost on October 28th, 2013, 6:57 pm

Hello,

Christo is right in that you can detect inflammatory markers however sometimes those in the blood don't reflect the level of inflammation in the gut. This is because the gut ( mucosal ) immune system is different from the systemic one. The gut can in someways be quite local to itself. A reliable inflammatory marker for the gut is to get stool ( poo) calprotectin levels measured. This is a protein released by neutrophils ( these are cells which are abundant in the intestine during immune reactions). The UK and US use it to try to avoid invasive testing ( cameras biopsies etc). The Calprotectin levels strongly correlate with the amount of inflammation seen when a patient undergoes scopes, i.e. the higher the level the more ulceration, swelling etc. It will only detect immune driven pathology and therefore will not be of any use in IBS which has little classic immune imput. It is available free on the NHS fo those in the UK.

One note for those investigating gut inflammation. Please be alert to places that offer services which look at antibody levels for food proteins. Antibodies can be protective as well as pathogenic. Many antibodies are needed and are involved in tolerance to food stuff, not just allergy. For example most of us will test positive for antibodies for certain common wheat proteins or milk proteins, but very few of us will be truely allergic. Also often the tests done in some chemists etc are just not specific enough, and not worth the paper they are written on. (the epitopes they use to trap and measure the levels arent always sensitive enough and will give higher readings as nonspecific binding takes place). So yes they can indicate you have antibodies, but they cannot say you are allergic. With respect to allergy the most reliable way to test is elimination diets, you know if something makes you feel better.

jklomparens I am so glad you found something that worked for you. So good to hear of people actually beating this.

Helen x
Little Lost
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to Symptom Management