some advice please

This forum is for posting your personal experiences with BFS: symptoms, doctor visits, fears, etc.

Please use this forum to post give and recieve encoragement and reassurance from sharing the trials and triumphs you have faced.

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

some advice please

Postby bubbles on October 21st, 2013, 3:14 am

im new to this site and was wondering could someone give me some advice...my symptoms started 7months ago,3 weeks after i had my son.started with weird sensory issues,feelings of water droplets on my skin..this went on for a few weeks i was worried about ms so gp referred me for mri,this was normal so i was relieved.2months after this twitching started in left knee,then left thumb and pretty much everywhere then. went to neurologist in july...done basic strenght tests and checked reflexes and said there was nothing to worry about,that it could be bfs.whats worrying me now is imy left arm feels weird its hard to explain,muscles feel sore at times and after i use my thumb it feels sore after.while bobywide twitching has subsided it comes and goes n my left arm,im realy worrued now about als and think that neurologist has missed something! with 2 small children to look after,i cant stop thinking about it.would be grateful for any advice!does this sound like bfs?
bubbles

Re: some advice please

Postby Yuliasir on October 21st, 2013, 3:31 am

yes from symptomes to the fact that you are a mom of two one of which is an infant.

in case of ALS neurologists usually do not miss a main symptom - clinical weakness. If you do not have that, it is not ALS.
BFS is a stress disorder, and I am sure you have enough stress in the last year. As the babies would grow, you would have more chances to sleep well and relax, and you would be feeling better.

There is a plenty of fresh moms and dads here on site, so your case is very common.
Yuliasir
Saint
Saint

Postby bubbles on October 21st, 2013, 7:13 am

Thank you so much for your reply Yuliasir,just as im typing this i have a twitch in my left eye..im trying not to worry been a nurse and a bit of a worrier its hard sometimes!do you think if it was something more serious i would have weakness etc.. by now?
bubbles

Postby Yuliasir on October 21st, 2013, 7:50 am

Practically yes, medical consensus is that weakness usually does not wait for more than 4-6 month even in rare cases starting with twitches.

But looking on 4 thousands of members I think we need to introduce to Internet also idea that twitching young moms, managers, fresh students (especially meds and lawers), athlets, doctors, people who survived a grief or an accident - it is NORMAl, i mean does not mean MND but stress disease only.
Yuliasir
Saint
Saint

Postby bubbles on October 21st, 2013, 8:36 am

thank you Yuliasir for your time,i will try relax and enjoy my 2 boys x
bubbles

Postby Yuliasir on October 21st, 2013, 8:46 am

wish you a good luck my dear :)))

just know please that you are not alone in such condition! I know it is probably impossible to sleep 8 hours a day with a toddler... and even my own 20 years daughter did not give me a chance to relax :) becasue I am a hen-mom, a helicopter etc.

but try to have as much rest as possible, and you definitely would be better.

my best regards
yulia
Yuliasir
Saint
Saint

Postby bubbles on October 23rd, 2013, 9:06 am

yuliasir can i just ask you 1 more thing.im having a bad today with my left arm,feels weak and "tickly" its hard to explain...is this normal with bfs?thanks again x
bubbles

Postby Yuliasir on October 23rd, 2013, 11:04 am

probably yes. my own arms sometimes ache, cometimes feel weird (can not get another word - like I am not controlling them well... like thsy are not mine for 100 %), I have tendon pains too (mostly in a left hand, tight neoprene wool wrist support hepls a lot in that case) and even a small load like a garbage bag can cost me a whole day of trembling when stretching an arm.

but I still able to do my 5000 words per day (two professional norms) and I think that does not mean disability in any case.

and please remember a rule of thumb - failing - not feeling. This means that feeling weak means perceived weakness. Clinical weakness is failing to do a thing.
Yuliasir
Saint
Saint

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to Experiences with BFS