Breaking Bad

Use this area for any non-BFS related conversation

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

Breaking Bad

Postby johnnythejet on September 30th, 2013, 10:58 am

I have to admit that I'm not a huge fan of Television and I haven't watched a ton of shows over the years, but does anyone else think Breaking Bad is the best show ever (excluding comedies)? Until BB, there's never been a show capable of captivating me all the way through from beginning to end and I already want to watch the entire series through again.

Question: What is your favorite scene or quote from the show?

Mine is the obvious choice:
“You clearly don’t know who you’re talking to, so let me clue you in. I am not in danger, Skyler. I am the danger. A guy opens his door and gets shot, and you think that of me? No! I am the one who knocks!” – Walter White
johnnythejet
Saint
Saint

Re: Breaking Bad

Postby SecretAgentMan on September 30th, 2013, 11:19 am

Awesome idea to start a Breaking Bad thread! I got hooked on the show this past winter. I had never watched it all these years but then ran across it on Netflix while I was home after my wife and I had our 2nd daughter. I watched a few episodes a night until I was completely caught up. I was just hooked on the story and couldn't wait to find out what happened next.

I especially enjoyed the subtle finer details that were thrown into the episodes to show you that there was real planning that went into the writing and it wasn't just a show that was thrown together. There was continuity from beginning to end. The acting was phenominal and you could really identify with the different characters whehter you loved them or hated them.

The character of Walt was really stuck in his ego throughout the whole show and he was constantly having to thwart danger to keep his legacy and empire building alive only to have it all or mostly taken away on multiple occasions. This really shouldn't be too much of a spoiler for those who haven't watched, but I really liked how in the final episode he realized and admited "Everything I did, I did it all... for me. I liked it. I was good at it. I was alive." I was sad to see the show end, but I can't imagine a better ending for tying it all together.
If your mind is your own worst enemy, why not make friends with it and turn it into your greatest ally? Mental discipline is achievable and there is help available. Learn what works for you, practice, and change your life for the better.
SecretAgentMan
Saint
Saint

Postby mwagner on September 30th, 2013, 12:04 pm

I agree, best show EVER on television.

I have a couple of favorite quotes.

One was when Jesse and Walt had Sal at gunpoint, kneeling down, and Jessie yells "You have to promise that you will give Badger Legal representation" (not exact quote). And then Saul says "why don't you just kill Badger?" Maybe Season 2? Great intro to Saul, who is one of the funniest characters on the show.

The second is this last season where Walt tells Hank "if I were you, I'd treat lightly". Gave me chills.

I'm going to miss this show. Best distraction from BFS ever! :)

PS: Johnny, your Chiefs may be a bigger challenge for us (Broncos) than I would have thought. 4-0. Wow.
mwagner
Saint
Saint

Postby johnnythejet on September 30th, 2013, 1:22 pm

SAM- I did the same thing as you….came into BB late via Netflix and got hooked quickly. The writing was amazing as well as the acting and character development. I loved that quote to Skyler in the final episode and it caught me by surprise. Didn’t see it coming

Mitra- Saul was definitely the funniest character (although I also thought Badger was pretty funny as well). The “tread lightly” quote was my 2nd favorite quote and also gave me chills. That scene with Hank was incredible. Yeah, my Chiefs (formerly “Chefs”) have been playing great, especially their defense. I knew they had talent but right now they’re playing at an elite level. I have a little more hope that we can at least slow down Peyton a bit but our offense needs to vastly improve before we become a real threat. Great start to the season, though!
johnnythejet
Saint
Saint

Postby mwagner on September 30th, 2013, 3:02 pm

I noticed I misspelled "tread".

I'd tread lightly if I were you, Johnny, in thinking that the Chiefs have a shot at beating the Broncos. (I had to say it. Probably not as funny as I think it is).

In retrospect, there are so many awesome quotes that you could probably find from every single episode. The one from Skinny Pete last night "The whole thing felt kinda shady, you know? Morality-wise" was also just priceless.

Also, the songs that they put with some of the scenes. Also brilliant!

Mitra
mwagner
Saint
Saint

Postby SecretAgentMan on October 4th, 2013, 2:51 pm

Saw this today and had to laugh...

If your mind is your own worst enemy, why not make friends with it and turn it into your greatest ally? Mental discipline is achievable and there is help available. Learn what works for you, practice, and change your life for the better.
SecretAgentMan
Saint
Saint

Postby mwagner on October 4th, 2013, 3:05 pm

That's awesome!!!
mwagner
Saint
Saint

Postby ShawnW on March 10th, 2014, 9:03 pm

I am not in danger Skyler, I am the danger. A guy opens his door and gets shot and you think that of me? No, I am the one who knocks.

Best scene in TV history.
ShawnW
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby Xina535 on March 24th, 2014, 8:32 am

Hi, I am a little late posting here, but I decided to explore some other topics than...you know what....and I saw this thread.

But definitely agree- the best series ever! I actually want a Br Ba tattoo (periodic table style). I have told people that I feel lucky to have lived during its time, that's how much I love it!

We got on the bandwagon late, after it was over. My husband and I heard so much of it that we decided to watch a the first 3 episodes on an online pay streaming website. We watched those 3 in one night. He went out and bought the box set and it consumed our lives. We didn't go out, we didn't do laundry, we just watched and watched.

I have never been so stimulated from any other series, or anything from Hollywood. I feel bad for other series, nothing can match up. Or has anyone here found another series which is worth while? Maybe not as good as BB, but worthy enough?

Some of my favorite moments, without giving too much away:

Hank finding the book while on the toilet
The cousins crawling
When Walt watched Jane...and then when Walt confessed it to Jessie
When Tuco was trying to get information from Hector about what Walt tried to do (burrito)
When Skylar told Walt about Ted
Todd and the kid on the bike
The guts falling through the ceiling
The bike lock guy in the basement

SO GOOD!
Xina535
Saint
Saint

Postby wjjw on March 31st, 2014, 12:39 pm

Xina535 wrote:When Skylar told Walt about Ted

Yeah, the title of that episode was "I.F.T.", lol

Cheers,
Bill
A knowledge of the existence of something we cannot penetrate, of the manifestations of the profoundest reason and the most radiant beauty, which are only accessible to our reason in their most elementary forms--Albert Einstein
wjjw
Saint
Saint

Postby DKM on June 6th, 2014, 12:40 am

Breaking Bad is excellent. I have only just finished season 3 though so I am a bit behind everyone else.

I recommend Boardwalk Empire.. It's great!!
DKM

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to The Lounge (Off-Topic Conversations)