First relief

This forum is for posting your personal experiences with BFS: symptoms, doctor visits, fears, etc.

Please use this forum to post give and recieve encoragement and reassurance from sharing the trials and triumphs you have faced.

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

First relief

Postby DrLemur on September 15th, 2013, 12:16 pm

After almost two months with constant severe body-wide twitches which progressed in severity over that time I began to think back to what I had been doing differently since this all started. I am aware of course this could be a complete coincidence (and likely is) but the only change I have made is I was put on the blood pressure medication Coveram (which is not even a diuretic). It was only a week after beginning the medication that my twitches first began. My doctor says they would not have caused the twitching as that is not a listed side effect of the drug. I tend to agree with him that it is at least unlikely, but I wanted to try to slowly go off them anyway and see if there would be a difference. So I took a half dose for a week and then this week went completely off them. Now alongside doing this at the same time as going off the BP meds I also began super dosing myself with magnesium tablets 1500mg per day. It has been 3 days now off the meds and on the magnesium and today is the first day since this started where I had only some very minor twitches in my back.. Maybe 3 or 4 in 24hrs... As opposed to violent CONSTANT twitches bodywide. My eyelid and all other major hot spots ceased completely. The burning and pain in my muscles has decreased by about 60%. Now I'm not sure which change if any has helped me but I suspect it to be the magnesium. Could it be that all that was wrong with me was a magnesium deficiency? My doctor swears blind that my blood test shows I am not low on magnesium. I told him it was my understanding that only a very small amount of magnesium in the body is stored in the blood and asked how then can the blood test be accurate? He gave no answer. Hmm.

Anyway, do you guys think that a lack of magnesium could cause such body wide twitching as I have had and not be BFS or anything else? Is twitching that is caused by lack of magnesium alone related to BFS at all? Does it fall under that same banner? Or would we call it something else? Anyway not going to celebrate too soon it could well all be back tomorrow. But so far so good..
DrLemur

Re: First relief

Postby SecretAgentMan on September 15th, 2013, 2:03 pm

I'd believe it was your removal of the BP medication that gave you relief vs. attributing it to the magnesium supplement. That's just my opinion though. Just because something isn't listed as a side effect of a drug does not mean that you can't have a chain of events unfold in reaction to it.
If your mind is your own worst enemy, why not make friends with it and turn it into your greatest ally? Mental discipline is achievable and there is help available. Learn what works for you, practice, and change your life for the better.
SecretAgentMan
Saint
Saint

Postby DrLemur on September 16th, 2013, 1:18 am

I can see the logic to that and I suspected that myself to some degree. It was the doctor's opinion that swayed me. I may even just try going back on the BP medication and continue to take the magnesium and see if the symptoms return.
DrLemur

Postby Lene on November 14th, 2013, 4:18 am

SecretAgentMan wrote:I'd believe it was your removal of the BP medication that gave you relief vs. attributing it to the magnesium supplement. That's just my opinion though. Just because something isn't listed as a side effect of a drug does not mean that you can't have a chain of events unfold in reaction to it.

Did you ever read about the role of magnesium in the potassium-sodium channels?
Plays a very big role.
Twitches MIGHT just be due to a lack of magnesium in some cases...
Twitching évery minute since end of 1988........
Lene
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to Experiences with BFS