Sleeping problems.. sleep starts and other experiences

This forum is for posting your personal experiences with BFS: symptoms, doctor visits, fears, etc.

Please use this forum to post give and recieve encoragement and reassurance from sharing the trials and triumphs you have faced.

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

Sleeping problems.. sleep starts and other experiences

Postby carphia on September 5th, 2013, 7:25 pm

Hey guys.... it's been a while but recently I've been having some scary stuff happening with naps and going to sleep at night. Latley upon falling asleep, or in that "in between" mode of partially asleep yet consciously awake, my hearing feels like it shocks me and startles me awake because it comes and goes. It literally feels like I go deaf for a sec, get startled, wake up, but I can totally hear fine.. then this process repeats till I either give up trying to nap or I eventually somehow fall asleep. I'm not sure if it has anything at all to do with sleep starts but it feels like it has something to do with it. I know I clench my teeth all the time and I also suspected tinitus. Not sure what it is but scares the crap out of me everytime. anyone have some remedies, or insight on what's causing this? I fear going to bed everynight because of it and it's happening on a daily basis now... thanks!

Carmy
"Sometimes, that mountain you've been climbing, is just a grain of sand...."
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nEQj6RrQbgA
carphia
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Re: Sleeping problems.. sleep starts and other experiences

Postby RGB on September 6th, 2013, 9:35 pm

I'm so far from being an expert it is untrue, I can barely even spell this :-) BUT it could be some type of hypnagogic hallucination. Hallucinations are surprisingly common in that 'awake but nearly asleep' state and can be auditory as well as visual. It's similar to that sudden falling feeling that is also common during this state.

Almost always nothing to worry about it, although I appreciate that it could be very unsettling.

Just an idea though. Smarter and more qualified people than me may be along shortly!

RGB
My history....Jan '13: Widespread Twitches. May 13': Unremarkable Neuro Exam. Jul '13: Clean EMG. Oct '13: BFS Diagnosis Today's Date: Twitching and Healthy!
RGB
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby Jlc on September 13th, 2013, 11:37 am

When my anxiety was at it's worst, I had some really weird things happen to my hearing while trying to fall asleep. I would hear thumping like a helicopter and sometimes ringing. I would also frequently lose hearing in one ear.

Rgb speaks of auditory hallucinations and I have also experienced this. One night while trying to fall asleep I kept hearing country music. I thought... I'll just put ear plugs in and it will go away....... Nope!!!! What the heck is that???!!!!
Jlc

Postby aztwitchy on September 13th, 2013, 1:04 pm

sleep is still one of my main struggles...i have similar issues...I fall asleep and 20 minutes later I wake back up...its like my body is resisting going to the next sleep stage. Sorry I don't have any advice other than trying to train your mind and body not to fight the insomnia and not to let your anxiety take over. sometimes I will just get out of bed and do some stuff or read and then try again a little later.

I caved into medications to get me through a really rough spell and constantly fight using them as a crutch.
"Health is a state of complete physical, mental and social well-being, and not merely the absence of disease or infirmity." ~World Health Organization, 1948
aztwitchy
Hero
Hero

Postby chicagobfs on September 14th, 2013, 10:55 pm

I find myself having somewhat similar issue. I don't lose my hearing but my whole body jumps and I'm waking up with some kind of rash or adrenaline going trough my body. It usually happens when I'm under high stress. It always happens in that" in between" state.
chicagobfs
Hero
Hero

Postby muppetdog on October 17th, 2013, 1:51 am

ZZZZ.....Jerk...ZZZZZ..Jerk...Jerk....twich...jerk...buzz..ZZZZZZ...sware out loud...ZZZZ..jerk..buzz. In A minor.
muppetdog
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to Experiences with BFS