Noticed something VERY interesting I'd like to share

Information about how to manage or reduce the severity of BFS symptoms

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

Noticed something VERY interesting I'd like to share

Postby Tiber2011 on September 1st, 2013, 1:20 am

I made a new friend recently. Over the phone, I got a bit nervous (we speak in a language that is my second language) and my face and hands started to tingle and have a pins and needles feeling. They went away 15 minutes after the phone call.

Today we met for coffee - and the tingling and pins and needles feeling returned. My face, shoulders, back, arms and hands all had this feeling. I was worried they'd go numb.

After chatting and I became more relaxed, they subsided and disappeared.

It has to be BFS and my body just cannot handle being nervous anymore.

Such sensory parasthesia just don't come-and-go with other illnesses, depending on the situation (I hope).

I love you all for your support in my ongoing discoveries and anxiety.
Tiber2011
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Re: Noticed something VERY interesting I'd like to share

Postby chrissi on September 1st, 2013, 1:54 am

Most BFSers cannot handle adrenaline or any " stress" anymore. I remember well, when my BFS was already gone for months, I fell down a long stair with my baby on my arm which caused me immense anxiety and stress ( amd it hurt too) I guess my adrenaline was beyound measureable. This caused my BFS to flare up immensely for 2 days before it calmed down again.
"Our anxiety does not come from thinking about the future, but from wanting to control it" Kahlil Gibran
Anxiety is a thin stream of fear trickling through the mind. If encouraged, it cuts a channel into which all other thoughts are drained
chrissi
Saint
Saint

Postby MarioMangler on September 1st, 2013, 11:58 am

Yep this is pretty common for anyone with BFS. I have a job where I have to be on call 24 hours a day, and every so often I will get startled out of sleep by a phone call in the middle of the night. And, well, for someone with BFS that isn't good. My legs immediately explode into twitches because of the startle response and sometimes they won't calm down for 2-3 days. Once it took almost a week. This is why so many BFS people learn to keep their anxiety and emotions as stable and as flatlined as possible. It isn't real fun when your body gets startled or you go into fight or flight mode. Our responses are just so much more intense.
BFS FAQ:
1. No, that's not bulbar
2. No, the location doesn't matter
3. Yes, we have all had that symptom
4. No, you're not the exception
5. No, that's not ominous
6. No, you don't need an EMG
7. Yes, you will be fine
MarioMangler
Saint
Saint

Postby chrissi on September 1st, 2013, 3:23 pm

Mario, I cannot handle being woken up in the night since I had BFS. Before BFS, I was just damned tired and wanted to go back to sleep. Today, when something wakes me up, I am in some kind of a weird alarm mode , my heart racing, a bit shaky, nauseaus and it takes quite a while for me to get back to sleep. Interrupting my sleep cycles is sooo messing me up. I know for sure if I had a job where I'd be woken up randomly, I would never have recovered to that extend.
"Our anxiety does not come from thinking about the future, but from wanting to control it" Kahlil Gibran
Anxiety is a thin stream of fear trickling through the mind. If encouraged, it cuts a channel into which all other thoughts are drained
chrissi
Saint
Saint

Postby MarioMangler on September 1st, 2013, 6:03 pm

Yeah I can't say I'm really a fan of it, but the good news is that it only happens maybe one or two days a month. And really, in the big picture of things, having a job is a much bigger deal than having BFS. I've been dealing with this long enough that I know it always goes away in time. It's annoying but you just have to deal with it. The golden rule of BFS.
BFS FAQ:
1. No, that's not bulbar
2. No, the location doesn't matter
3. Yes, we have all had that symptom
4. No, you're not the exception
5. No, that's not ominous
6. No, you don't need an EMG
7. Yes, you will be fine
MarioMangler
Saint
Saint

Postby chrissi on September 2nd, 2013, 1:20 am

Haha yes I know it is not about choices....I have little kids. But thank god it ony happens once a week or os that one of them wakes me up. We come from once every 45 hours for 18 months so...thank god I did not have BFs back then. Well, actually I developed it after that phase :lol:
chrissi
Saint
Saint

Postby Tiber2011 on September 3rd, 2013, 2:32 pm

chrissi wrote:Most BFSers cannot handle adrenaline or any " stress" anymore. I remember well, when my BFS was already gone for months, I fell down a long stair with my baby on my arm which caused me immense anxiety and stress ( amd it hurt too) I guess my adrenaline was beyound measureable. This caused my BFS to flare up immensely for 2 days before it calmed down again.

Thanks for sharing your story, Chrissi.
Tiber2011
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby G-Dog on September 10th, 2013, 12:16 pm

chrissi wrote:Mario, I cannot handle being woken up in the night since I had BFS.

Yep, I'm with you on that one! I have to religiously turn off all electronic devices, phone, ipad etc to mitigate any risk of being shocked awake, usually by some trivia my phone assumes I would be interested in at 3 am. I also have a problem with house guests coming in late at night...I can't fall asleep until they're back in the house, as the slamming front door has a similar effect on me! Having said that since I've installed this new work of taxidermy in the spare room, we don't get visited by house guests as often as we used to :)

G-Dog

Postby chrissi on September 10th, 2013, 12:52 pm

Haha right, I remember how glad I was when I found out how I can stop push- messages from the BFS group on Facebook. Anyone who wrote a message on there in the US afternoon would cause me a major heart attack in the middle of the night...while hubby was sleeping peacefully besides me :roll:

Lol we do not need stuffed animals to keep sleepover guests away... We have 2 very very lively little boys that get up early. Very early. Really damned damned early * yawn*
chrissi
Saint
Saint

Postby ShawnW on February 13th, 2014, 6:27 pm

I know this is an old post but face and hand tingling is usually caused by hyperventilation. It causes a respiratory alkalosis from blowing off too much carbon dioxide. That is why they used to tell people to breath into a paper bag.
ShawnW
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby ShawnW on February 13th, 2014, 6:28 pm

I know this is an old post but face and hand tingling is usually caused by hyperventilation. It causes a respiratory alkalosis from blowing off too much carbon dioxide. That is why they used to tell people to breath into a paper bag.
ShawnW
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to Symptom Management