Serum Magnesium

Information about how to manage or reduce the severity of BFS symptoms

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

Serum Magnesium

Postby desbanks on August 14th, 2013, 10:39 am

Well, just got my results from a recent blood test and my Magnesium serum level in mmol/L is 0.71

The ideal range should be between 0.70 - 1mmol/L, hence I guess I am borderline, a situation I find very strange since I have been talking supplements for a year and half now since this whole BFS started.

Does that mean my levels where very low back then?

What advise if any, would anyone have on increasing Magnesium levels and has anyone experienced less twitching etc upon seeing their serum levels rise?

des
desbanks
Interested
Interested

Re: Serum Magnesium

Postby aztwitchy on August 14th, 2013, 11:26 am

desbanks wrote:Well, just got my results from a recent blood test and my Magnesium serum level in mmol/L is 0.71

The ideal range should be between 0.70 - 1mmol/L, hence I guess I am borderline, a situation I find very strange since I have been talking supplements for a year and half now since this whole BFS started.

What advise if any, would anyone have on increasing Magnesium levels and has anyone experienced less twitching etc upon seeing their serum levels rise?

des

what type of magnesium are you supplementing with? how much and when? have you increased your intake of green leafy veg?

thanks for posting your results
"Health is a state of complete physical, mental and social well-being, and not merely the absence of disease or infirmity." ~World Health Organization, 1948
aztwitchy
Hero
Hero

Postby SecretAgentMan on August 14th, 2013, 11:44 am

Artificial or synthetic supplements are never the best way to go. Our bodies do know the difference between something natural and something manufactured (despite what the high fructose corn syrup commercials lead you to believe). Chances are your levels are very close to what they were a year ago. The reason being that synthetic supplements are very difficult for the body to break down, process, and use. Often times they are actually toxic to us and the body just has to eliminate them. If you are deficient in anything the best solution is to find out what natural organic food is a good source of and eat more of it.
If your mind is your own worst enemy, why not make friends with it and turn it into your greatest ally? Mental discipline is achievable and there is help available. Learn what works for you, practice, and change your life for the better.
SecretAgentMan
Saint
Saint

Postby johnnythejet on August 14th, 2013, 11:54 am

Before you get all caught up and concerned about your Mg levels, please realize that this hasn't proven to really help BFS symptoms. Doing everything in your power to get more Mg (synthetically or organically) will not likely help with symptoms.
johnnythejet
Saint
Saint

Postby minime640 on August 14th, 2013, 12:38 pm

My husband's muscle cramping improved with magnesium. Not so much the twitching.
minime640
Interested
Interested

Postby aztwitchy on August 14th, 2013, 4:27 pm

SecretAgentMan wrote:Artificial or synthetic supplements are never the best way to go. Our bodies do know the difference between something natural and something manufactured (despite what the high fructose corn syrup commercials lead you to believe). Chances are your levels are very close to what they were a year ago. The reason being that synthetic supplements are very difficult for the body to break down, process, and use. Often times they are actually toxic to us and the body just has to eliminate them. If you are deficient in anything the best solution is to find out what natural organic food is a good source of and eat more of it.

this is what I was going to say...green leafy vegetables is the best source of Mg

like JtJ said it will probably not do anything for twitching, but with that said it can help cramping and sleep among a litany of other health benefits.
"Health is a state of complete physical, mental and social well-being, and not merely the absence of disease or infirmity." ~World Health Organization, 1948
aztwitchy
Hero
Hero

Postby Slavin Balen on August 18th, 2013, 2:32 pm

I can't live without Mg. Kidding of course. But without Mg I'm going to the cramps in calves. My choice is natural spring water enriched with Mg. 300 mg daily per liter.
Slavin Balen
Hero
Hero

Postby raindog on August 21st, 2013, 3:16 pm

organic cocoa nibs are chock full of magnesium you can mix them with goji berries and eat them as a snack. Having said that its not a cure, but may help your low levels
raindog
Saint
Saint

Postby angelo212 on August 23rd, 2013, 9:55 pm

desbanks wrote:Well, just got my results from a recent blood test and my Magnesium serum level in mmol/L is 0.71

des

I was doing research today and if your taking most epilectic drugs it eats of the magnesium supplement oxide and carbonate. It recommends taking aspartate. Got that from drugs.com in the drug interaction section. You put the name of the drug in and you'll find all the interactions of other drugs and supplements.
Gotta love BFS. It's the gift that keeps on giving.
angelo212

Postby angelo212 on August 23rd, 2013, 9:57 pm

SecretAgentMan wrote:Artificial or synthetic supplements are never the best way to go. Our bodies do know the difference between something natural and something manufactured (despite what the high fructose corn syrup commercials lead you to believe). Chances are your levels are very close to what they were a year ago. The reason being that synthetic supplements are very difficult for the body to break down, process, and use. Often times they are actually toxic to us and the body just has to eliminate them. If you are deficient in anything the best solution is to find out what natural organic food is a good source of and eat more of it.

You really shouldn't believe everything you read on the internet. Your whole post is so wrong. Stay with the medical recearch sites and away from Dr Mercola and Mike Adams sites.
Gotta love BFS. It's the gift that keeps on giving.
angelo212

Postby SecretAgentMan on August 24th, 2013, 8:20 pm

angelo212 wrote:You really shouldn't believe everything you read on the internet. Your whole post is so wrong. Stay with the medical recearch sites and away from Dr Mercola and Mike Adams sites.

I don't believe everything I read on the internet or elsewhere. Experiences are so much more powerful than words and my experiences are my guide. In turn, I share my experiences as an offering, not with the intent to impose my views on others. You are free to believe whatever you like but please don't be so quick to judge that which you have not validated for yourself. If not for doctors that think and practice more like Dr. Mercola I do not believe I would be cured of my BFS.
If your mind is your own worst enemy, why not make friends with it and turn it into your greatest ally? Mental discipline is achievable and there is help available. Learn what works for you, practice, and change your life for the better.
SecretAgentMan
Saint
Saint

Postby aztwitchy on September 11th, 2013, 7:50 pm

SecretAgentMan wrote:
angelo212 wrote:You really shouldn't believe everything you read on the internet. Your whole post is so wrong. Stay with the medical recearch sites and away from Dr Mercola and Mike Adams sites.

I don't believe everything I read on the internet or elsewhere. Experiences are so much more powerful than words and my experiences are my guide. In turn, I share my experiences as an offering, not with the intent to impose my views on others. You are free to believe whatever you like but please don't be so quick to judge that which you have not validated for yourself. If not for doctors that think and practice more like Dr. Mercola I do not believe I would be cured of my BFS.

agree with you secret agent man....my life experience has been when I supplement with magnesium I get horrible nausea and sometimes even worse cramps. supplemental magnesium is bad bad bad. If I eat my magnesium in the form of alot more veg I don't have that issue. Coconut water is has a lot of good stuff in it and I recommend it to everyone regardless if they are suffering issues or not. I steer people toward the more natural coconut waters and not those "fortified" with extra junk or sugars.
aztwitchy
Hero
Hero

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to Symptom Management