need some opinions

Information about how to manage or reduce the severity of BFS symptoms

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

Re: need some opinions

Postby muppetdog on July 24th, 2013, 11:39 am

fargo -

Haha, great read. "Boost Your Immune System?"

That's a pretty interesting site. I am going to have to read a lot on there.

I like how the author speculates that and immune boost is really just and inflammatory response that if you induce chronically with supplements or probiotcs, can lead to inflammatory problems like artery clogging and what not. It's a fascinating thought.

I know that the Immnocal (Canadian product) and the Immunopro (same thing but not Canadian) is suppose to be denatured and possess a large amount of milk immunoglobulines - along with high levels of cysteine, which you can get from just eating a bunch of eggs instead. That could cause an immune response/inflammation, don't you think. I know that BSFBurger took it and he said it fired his system up big time and had to stop.

So like Chrissi said, it might not be a good idea to mess with stuff that "ain't broke" or the tests don't show you have deficiencies in.

Oh, I have also read and heard that glutathione testing can be very inaccurate.

MD
muppetdog
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby mwagner on August 19th, 2013, 11:40 am

So, I found out that I do have the MTHFR C677T mutation and am homozygous. I need to take the active form of folate. Scarier stuff than just anxiety though. The increased risk of cardiovascular disease and thrombosis scare me just a little :)

I'm going to have my kids tested as well.

Mitra
mwagner
Saint
Saint

Postby Seepi27 on August 19th, 2013, 1:36 pm

mwagner wrote:So, I found out that I do have the MTHFR C677T mutation and am homozygous. I need to take the active form of folate. Scarier stuff than just anxiety though. The increased risk of cardiovascular disease and thrombosis scare me just a little :)

Mitra

Don't worry: homozygous people have rights these days. And in some countries, they can even get married.

;-)
Seepi27
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby aztwitchy on August 19th, 2013, 2:04 pm

mwagner wrote:So, I found out that I do have the MTHFR C677T mutation and am homozygous. I need to take the active form of folate. Scarier stuff than just anxiety though. The increased risk of cardiovascular disease and thrombosis scare me just a little :)

Mitra

have you tried diet changes Mitra? gluten free or at a minimum removing all processed foods?
"Health is a state of complete physical, mental and social well-being, and not merely the absence of disease or infirmity." ~World Health Organization, 1948
aztwitchy
Hero
Hero

Postby chrissi on August 19th, 2013, 2:48 pm

My kids will be tested during puberty or if they are brought to hospital and are immobile for a longer period of time. The risk is not bad, especially if you take metafolate. The only problem is that we cannot take contraception pills or hormonal IUPs. You have to have heparine injections (I do those myself) if I am immobile or have to go on a long flight ( haaahaaa which will most likely not happen EVER).Get your hyperhomocysteine levels checked once in a while, take your metafolate and it is not a big deal.

@azwitcha: Well diet changes won't help with this mutation, because it is a genetic enzyme dysfunction that does not allow the body to transfer the eaten folic acid into its active form. This leads to a increased level of homocysteine and this is bad and can cause all kinds of stuff. But fortunately the solution is simple: taking Metafolate, so we can just skip that step the enzyme is supposed to do.
"Our anxiety does not come from thinking about the future, but from wanting to control it" Kahlil Gibran
Anxiety is a thin stream of fear trickling through the mind. If encouraged, it cuts a channel into which all other thoughts are drained
chrissi
Saint
Saint

Postby aztwitchy on August 19th, 2013, 5:36 pm

chrissi wrote:@azwitcha: Well diet changes won't help with this mutation, because it is a genetic enzyme dysfunction that does not allow the body to transfer the eaten folic acid into its active form. This leads to a increased level of homocysteine and this is bad and can cause all kinds of stuff. But fortunately the solution is simple: taking Metafolate, so we can just skip that step the enzyme is supposed to do.

I see my assumption was you would want to completely reduce your intake of "fortified" foods which happen to be a lot of processed junk.
"Health is a state of complete physical, mental and social well-being, and not merely the absence of disease or infirmity." ~World Health Organization, 1948
aztwitchy
Hero
Hero

Postby angelo212 on August 23rd, 2013, 10:10 pm

mwagner wrote:I just found out that a friend of mine who suffers from anxiety, and had a number of tests run (gluten sensitivity, progesterone, etc.) has two defective genes that keep her body from processing folic acid into L-methylfolate which is needed by the brain for the other neurotransmitters to work properly. Most people either have two normal genes or one normal and one defective. This could lead to both mental conditions (depression/anxiety) and cardio vascular conditions. In fact, a lot of people with anxiety/depression issues have been shown to have two defective genes.

Has anyone been tested for this?

Also, she found out that she is deficient in Glutathione, which led me to this article, which I think has been addressed before on this forum.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/dr-mark-h ... 30494.html

This article was fascinating to me.

There was one poster on here who said her twitches practically stopped after taking Immunocal. I'm thinking of getting tested for both of these, but thought I might just take Immunocal because of it's health benefits.

I'd stay away from that over priced crap Immunocal. Did you get a kick out of there website. They try and make people believe anthing. Glutothione taking as a supplment form won't get absorbed by the body. Even the "redud
Thoughts? Has anyone done this? It's expensive, so if others have tried it and it doesn't work, I'd really like to hear from you.

Mitra

I'd stay away from that over priced crap Immunocal. Did you get a kick out of there website. They try and make people believe anthing. Glutothione taking as a supplment form won't get absorbed by the body. Even the "reduced form" is only slighly more absorbed. Stick to NAC, ALA for better gluthione making. Also I wouldn't believe anything from the Huffington Post. It's like the National Enquire.
Gotta love BFS. It's the gift that keeps on giving.
angelo212

Sponsor

Sponsor

Previous

Return to Symptom Management