Intense workouts and a return of bad symptoms after 8 years

This forum is for posting your personal experiences with BFS: symptoms, doctor visits, fears, etc.

Please use this forum to post give and recieve encoragement and reassurance from sharing the trials and triumphs you have faced.

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

Re: Intense workouts and a return of bad symptoms after 8 ye

Postby TerryB2865 on August 16th, 2013, 11:27 am

EMG and nerve conduction done. Won't have results until Monday, but the neuro said he didn't see anything suspicious on first impression other than some carpal tunnel from the nerve conduction study. my GF was there (she works in the medical field) and she said the EMG readout seemed p pretty normal to her for what that is worth. twitching all over as i write this but i don't think i twitched at all when laying on the exam table. I will let you all know the official results when i get them. Seemed like the noise was nonexistent when he tested my thighs but was more noisy when i spread my fingers and then relaxed. Thoughts?
TerryB2865

Postby mwagner on August 16th, 2013, 3:27 pm

Thoughts are that you had a good EMG!!! And that you should celebrate. If there was anything bad your neuro would have told you. Great news!!
mwagner
Saint
Saint

Postby TerryB2865 on August 17th, 2013, 1:52 pm

Very anxious to get the report. i hope it is definitive. want to celebrate, but i am twitching all over right now and my hands still aren't right. Having read all of arron's postings, i assume the EMG nerve conduction wouldn't miss anything. had an experienced neuro do it. just want to get back to feeling good again. had to walk about 2 miles this morning at an event and made it on my slightly numb legs. Made myself do it. everything twitching now from calves to face and throw in tingling in my face and mouth for good measure. sorry to vent, but i am tired of all this. I want it to be bfs and anxiety, just not convinced until i get the report. then we will move forward.
TerryB2865

Postby magnetizzum on August 17th, 2013, 3:01 pm

A lot of my symptoms mirror yours. A neuromuscular neurologist did my emg and verbally told me the same thing yours did, when I got the report it stated normal other than carpal tunnel. Now I still twitch all the time along with facial buzzing and some arm tremor/hand tremors. And I have gone back to my neuro to say...I'm still having symptoms --to basically hear him say "dude quit tripping" . So it may stick around. It may be worse at times, but there are people on this board who have twitched for decade(s). It may be hard but mentally move forward...
magnetizzum

Postby TerryB2865 on August 17th, 2013, 3:47 pm

Thanks for the reply. just very frustrated. i have no pain in my hands or wrists. did you when diagnosed with carpal tunnel?

i will post the EMG results when i get them. thanks to all for listening to me vent.
TerryB2865

Postby magnetizzum on August 17th, 2013, 4:24 pm

Not really pain...but numbness in hands at night if my wrist were in a bent position
magnetizzum

Postby TerryB2865 on August 22nd, 2013, 2:30 pm

Despite phone calls and an email inquiry i have yet to hear from my primary care doc on my EMG.
TerryB2865

Postby TerryB2865 on August 23rd, 2013, 4:37 pm

Received phone call from primary care doc. EMG report for arms and legs "normal motor recruitment". I am having problems with my hands - atrophy, weakness (tough to spread my fingers and I have little lateral strength left in my fingers), developing stiffness in wrist - but according to the test result only carpal tunnel showed on the Nerve Conduction study. I asked point blank about MND and he said there was no finding of it on the EMG. I am elated, but now wondering what is going on with my hands. My symptoms are not "in my head". I continue the same symptoms as I've previously listed - body wide twitching, fatigue, can walk about 30 minutes and then my legs get stiff. Any thoughts would be appreciated. I have no pain in my hands or wrists, by the way. My doc is making me an appointment with the neuro who did the test and they are mailing me a copy of the results.
TerryB2865

Postby TerryB2865 on August 28th, 2013, 3:31 pm

For those of you who have been following this thread, I thought I’d post an update after having an EMG and nerve conduction as well as meeting this morning with the neurologist who did the testing. First, the EMG came back normal (no insertional activity, no fascics, no fibs, no psw…completely normal). Passed the clinical exam as well. The doctor spent over 30 minutes listening to me, writing everything down, etc. As good an experience as I’ve had with any physician. He asked me if I had any fear of having ALS and I said yes, given the things I’ve been experiencing. He said I did not have it. Now, he does not know what is going on with me, but with a normal finding from the EMG and passing the clinical exam, ALS is out. I asked him about the sensitivity of the EMG, when do bad things show up (I have twitches, my legs get tired rather easily) if someone is symptomatic and he said the test is very sensitive. Even before someone is having problems the test will already show if something is wrong. Now, my symptoms have not lessened at all – twitching, fatigue (probably the worst part of this), my hands are atrophied (I have intermittent twitches in them although my grip is still OK and I can type just fine), my brain fog is still pretty bad, and I have intermittent paresthesias / tingling in my face, inside my mouth, in my arms, and in my feet. I went through a similar episode about nine years ago and he is requesting my records from the neuromuscular clinic I went to at that time. He gave me the opportunity to go back there for a second opinion but I said no, not right now. We are taking a wait and see approach. I trust him. If nothing else, I finally got to talk out everything to a neurologist who took the time to listen. I am a lifelong exerciser and he said just listen to your body and when you think you can exercise again, do so. My episode nine years ago did resolve and I am hoping, obviously, that this will do the same.
TerryB2865

Postby muppetdog on August 28th, 2013, 6:22 pm

That's good news.

You probably have a tab bit of the "who the H3ll knows."

I have pretty much the same thing going on with me and am still waiting for it to go away. It's been a couple months since the fun stuff started, the fatigue has always been there, though.

I bet if you just chill out; don't push yourself physically; try to get good sleep no matter what; and just live a healthy life, that it will go way again. At least that's what I tell myself.

Keep us posted.

MD
muppetdog
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby TyWebb on August 28th, 2013, 10:01 pm

TerryB2865 wrote:For those of you who have been following this thread, I thought I’d post an update after having an EMG and nerve conduction as well as meeting this morning with the neurologist who did the testing. First, the EMG came back normal (no insertional activity, no fascics, no fibs, no psw…completely normal). Passed the clinical exam as well. The doctor spent over 30 minutes listening to me, writing everything down, etc. As good an experience as I’ve had with any physician. He asked me if I had any fear of having ALS and I said yes, given the things I’ve been experiencing. He said I did not have it. Now, he does not know what is going on with me, but with a normal finding from the EMG and passing the clinical exam, ALS is out. I asked him about the sensitivity of the EMG, when do bad things show up (I have twitches, my legs get tired rather easily) if someone is symptomatic and he said the test is very sensitive. Even before someone is having problems the test will already show if something is wrong. Now, my symptoms have not lessened at all – twitching, fatigue (probably the worst part of this), my hands are atrophied (I have intermittent twitches in them although my grip is still OK and I can type just fine), my brain fog is still pretty bad, and I have intermittent paresthesias / tingling in my face, inside my mouth, in my arms, and in my feet. I went through a similar episode about nine years ago and he is requesting my records from the neuromuscular clinic I went to at that time. He gave me the opportunity to go back there for a second opinion but I said no, not right now. We are taking a wait and see approach. I trust him. If nothing else, I finally got to talk out everything to a neurologist who took the time to listen. I am a lifelong exerciser and he said just listen to your body and when you think you can exercise again, do so. My episode nine years ago did resolve and I am hoping, obviously, that this will do the same.

There are a ton of syndromes that we don't know the cause of. One of them is BFS. You have it. I am only 6 months into it, but I have felt that I was weeks away from foot drop and no grip, only to feel close to normal a few days or weeks later. I have more good days than bad lately....but every time my twitches kick in, or I get crampy while using the mouse or typing, I just breathe and know that it will go away....like it always does.

Sorry you are in a bad phase. Hang in there and believe it will go away....because it will.
TyWebb

Postby TyWebb on August 28th, 2013, 10:02 pm

TerryB2865 wrote:For those of you who have been following this thread, I thought I’d post an update after having an EMG and nerve conduction as well as meeting this morning with the neurologist who did the testing. First, the EMG came back normal (no insertional activity, no fascics, no fibs, no psw…completely normal). Passed the clinical exam as well. The doctor spent over 30 minutes listening to me, writing everything down, etc. As good an experience as I’ve had with any physician. He asked me if I had any fear of having ALS and I said yes, given the things I’ve been experiencing. He said I did not have it. Now, he does not know what is going on with me, but with a normal finding from the EMG and passing the clinical exam, ALS is out. I asked him about the sensitivity of the EMG, when do bad things show up (I have twitches, my legs get tired rather easily) if someone is symptomatic and he said the test is very sensitive. Even before someone is having problems the test will already show if something is wrong. Now, my symptoms have not lessened at all – twitching, fatigue (probably the worst part of this), my hands are atrophied (I have intermittent twitches in them although my grip is still OK and I can type just fine), my brain fog is still pretty bad, and I have intermittent paresthesias / tingling in my face, inside my mouth, in my arms, and in my feet. I went through a similar episode about nine years ago and he is requesting my records from the neuromuscular clinic I went to at that time. He gave me the opportunity to go back there for a second opinion but I said no, not right now. We are taking a wait and see approach. I trust him. If nothing else, I finally got to talk out everything to a neurologist who took the time to listen. I am a lifelong exerciser and he said just listen to your body and when you think you can exercise again, do so. My episode nine years ago did resolve and I am hoping, obviously, that this will do the same.

There are a ton of syndromes that we don't know the cause of. One of them is BFS. You have it. I am only 6 months into it, but I have felt that I was weeks away from foot drop and no grip, only to feel close to normal a few days or weeks later. I have more good days than bad lately....but every time my twitches kick in, or I get crampy while using the mouse or typing, I just breathe and know that it will go away....like it always does.

Sorry you are in a bad phase. Hang in there and believe it will go away....because it will.
TyWebb

Postby TerryB2865 on October 31st, 2013, 6:39 pm

Thought i would post my latest. second neuro exam and EMG NCV, with a neuro with the regional ALS center, resulted in another clean EMG and I passed the clinical exam. EMG was on right arm and leg only. all my blood work sshowed only low vitamin D. Anyone else had this finding? MRI on my brain and spine showed narrowing in the cervical and lumbar areas but not enough to cause the progressive leg fatigue and aching i continue to have. fatigue is never ending and i twitch all over although some days are worse than others for that. have also developed some disorientation and memory issues. GF and folks have me seeing a counselor now and on med for anxiety too. feel like my body and mind are betraying me. my arms and shoulders don't feel right either. No test results to show what is wrong but i guarantee you something is.
TerryB2865

Postby Yuliasir on October 31st, 2013, 11:02 pm

Practically low D vitamine is very typical finding for us (and often the only, with not very clear result on attempts to improve it by supplements). Do not know if it is related to BFS or to diet, dark period of the year etc. Brain fog also happens...

I had seen that one of our fellows was prescribed among other certain immunological test called complement factors. It shows if your primary immune response is balanced. I have only very initial knowledge of immune systerm operation, but it looks like changes in that system might be responsible for many of issues related to BFS - like GERD, low B vitamine level (not D!) skin isues (urticaria, itching, non-specific transient edemas), and one of the factors may cause autoimmune attack to the cell membranes causing damage and therefore chaning muscle membrane potentials (twitching, weird sensations, etc.).

So probably that type of test might show something... Just guessing becasue that lady was the only prescribed for complement factors activity test and as far as I remeber she did not reported results (and I forgot who it was so we can not even PM her :()

let's see if anxiety treatment would help. Do not forget that BFS also involves central neural system operation. So part of your pains muight be heree due to lowered pain threshold.
Yuliasir
Saint
Saint

Postby mwagner on November 1st, 2013, 6:10 pm

Terry,

I feel like you are barking up the wrong tree with a neurologist at this point, and really need to find a good rheumatologist. I so feel like you have CFS or possibly fibromyalgia or some combo of both. Of course, I'm not a doctor, but your symptoms, including your "brain fog" sound so typical.

Also, have you tried any type of alternative medicine, such a alternative medicine doctor or a chiropractor. I know that you might think it's hokey, but the medical field won't look into nutritional deficiencies, food allergies, etc. like some of these doctors do. It is probably worth a shot?

I have been having horrible fatigue in my right arm/shoulder to the point that it's difficult to hold up a hair dryer because my arm starts feeling so tired and in pain. My chiropractor has been doing some adjustments, and he basically fixes it for me (albeit temporarily - only lasts like a week or so).

Mitra
mwagner
Saint
Saint

Sponsor

Sponsor

PreviousNext

Return to Experiences with BFS